Brewer Fanatic

Dallas Keuchel

$20mil for Keuchel? Hard Pass. I really don't think the Brewers need to be throwing 4+ years at a starter right now. They should have or should get someone on a short term deal. The improvement of Keuchel over what we have is not enough to risk Matt Garza money. I would love a 200 inning rock in the rotation, but Keuchel is not that.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems like Philly would be a great fit for him. They could use another pitcher and obviously they're going for it. That low HR rate should be appealing for that park. Spotrac has their payroll at 137 and we know they've gone way above that before.

Finding a match for Keuchel is pretty hard.

Already discussed Philadelphia above. They are right on the edge in payroll.

Astros top payroll was ~160 million which they hit last year. They are already at that number for this upcoming season.

The Padres spreadsheet on Cots is a bit misleading because they have Machado at a low number because they pro-rate the signing bonus. Padres are paying him 30 million this year which will blow away their previous payroll high. The Brewers are also already at a payroll number higher than they have ever run before.

The Braves are right around their top ever payroll, but with that new stadium and huge profits, they are the one team left that probably should have interest in Keuchel and could easily fit a 4 million, 72 million type deal in their payroll. It doesn't sound like Soroka's shoulder soreness was a big deal as originally thought, and then the rotation is full with Foltynewicz, Newcomb, Gausman, Teheran and Soroka. They have Toussaint and Gohara as #5 starter options, so pretty decent insurance as well.

I still would think that Keuchel could get a minimum of 3 years, 48 million out of someone. But I'll be very interested to see who that is, because there doesn't appear to be a great match when looking at the various pitching staffs and historical payroll levels.

Seems like Philly would be a great fit for him. They could use another pitcher and obviously they're going for it. That low HR rate should be appealing for that park. Spotrac has their payroll at 137 and we know they've gone way above that before.

More like 156 million when figuring in Harper's signing bonus.

Could see the Twins or the Rays being interested in Keuchel if his price has come down a little. Minnesota has a chunk of payroll room after 2019 and already are the clear second-best team in the AL Central - if anyone is going to upend Cleveland, it's probably them. Tampa would have to run against their opener philosophy a little but they still should have plenty of room to sign Keuchel.

Community Moderator
Funny the twins fired Molly and now are spending Money

According to Aaron Gleeman the Twins payroll is currently at $117 million for this season. Last year their payroll was $128 million.

The Indians lack of impactful moves has left the door open for the Twins to try to make a run at the AL Central title.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Seems like Philly would be a great fit for him. They could use another pitcher and obviously they're going for it.

Are they really "going for it" though?

Perhaps we're just differing in our interpretation of the term.

To me that implies that they're all-in, right now. Signing a 26 year old to a 13 year deal, with no opt-out and a no-trade clause, seems like a long term play. Sure, they probably hope that it means that they're contending every season for the foreseeable future, but I don't think that I'd consider them "going for it" for this season. If they'd given him an opt-out like Manny got, then I'd consider it an all-in move.

Perhaps I'm just splitting hairs here...?

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Funny the twins fired Molly and now are spending Money

According to Aaron Gleeman the Twins payroll is currently at $117 million for this season. Last year their payroll was $128 million.

The Indians lack of impactful moves has left the door open for the Twins to try to make a run at the AL Central title.

The Twins have been in a 2-3 offseason stretch of, "let's sign some 1-2 year deals and test the waters."

You're right that Cleveland's quiet offseason has left the door open but the Twins may have to spend $50 million more this year to really be a factor.

Throw Cleveland in the NL Central or the NL East and even with their laughable outfield I bet they'd still probably win the division or at least be very close.

Throw the Twins in the NL Central and they win 71 games.

Right now Cleveland is projected to win the division by 10 games and that doesn't even really include that they're probably just waiting until the deadline to acquire actual MLB players in the outfield. There could be a giant tortoise and hare thing here where ownership isn't going to burn $15 million dollars this year to win the division by 15 games instead of 10 and it actually costs them the division...but there is still a massive hurdle to get over for the Twins to win this thing.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I expect Keuchel to sign with the Brewers or the Braves by the end of next week.

Just guessing? It does seem like the only team he's being connected to is the Braves. But the Braves are also notoriously cheap, so I could see the Brewers jumping in and surprising everyone. I'm sure Stearns and Attanasio are certainly not afraid to make a splash ... again.

I expect Keuchel to sign with the Brewers or the Braves by the end of next week.

Just guessing? It does seem like the only team he's being connected to is the Braves. But the Braves are also notoriously cheap, so I could see the Brewers jumping in and surprising everyone. I'm sure Stearns and Attanasio are certainly not afraid to make a splash ... again.

The last rumors were the Braves, Brewers, and a mystery team or two. Since Philly signed Harper I think we can count them out.

At this point, the only two big dollar items left on the shelf are Kimbrel and Keuchel. With Harper and Machado gone, it's time for those guys to get final offers from teams and make a decision.

I guess they could hold out and hope for an injury or something, but most teams are going to have their budgets set soon. It's unlikely someone is going to suddenly find $20M available. Come March, it's bargain shopping for most clubs.

Massive injuries to braves pitchers just got worse with Closer A.J. Minter

Leaving game today after only facing one batter with arm injury. Braves

Beat writer speculating them signing kimbrel now. As Joey m bombs already pointed out how cheap braves are, don’t think they’d sign both

Now. Would love Keuchel but don’t see him getting past Phillies or Padres.

Massive injuries to braves pitchers just got worse with Closer A.J. Minter

Leaving game today after only facing one batter with arm injury. Braves

Beat writer speculating them signing kimbrel now. As Joey m bombs already pointed out how cheap braves are, don’t think they’d sign both

Now. Would love Keuchel but don’t see him getting past Phillies or Padres.

I'm hoping for the Phills. Then when they've got Harper and Trout in that OF, they've got less money to build a super-team.....come Philly, give him 6/150! He deserves it!

So the latest Keuchel updates at MLB Trade Rumors-

-Astros haven't been engaged with Keuchel in recent weeks

-Phillies only interested in a very short-term deal

-Twins unlikely to sign him to anything more than a one-year deal

-Braves don't think their pitching injuries are significant enough to pursue Kuechel

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/03/dallas-keuchel-rumors-astros-braves-phillies-twins-craig-kimbrel.html

I'm starting to think Kimbrel and Keuchel may sign 1 year prove-it deals, probably with a mutual option that definitely won't get exercised to make it seem like more.

Completely agree. It is funny to me though, that Kimbrel of all people would need to “prove it”. He had some blemishes last year no doubt. But still is an all time great relief pitcher. Tough sledding for him.

I'm starting to think Kimbrel and Keuchel may sign 1 year prove-it deals, probably with a mutual option that definitely won't get exercised to make it seem like more.

Completely agree. It is funny to me though, that Kimbrel of all people would need to “prove it”. He had some blemishes last year no doubt. But still is an all time great relief pitcher. Tough sledding for him.

Asking for a $100 million contract did that guy no favors.

I still kinda think the Brewers are in on Keuchel. I get the feeling the offer is something like a 2-year/$25 million deal though. He could very well be waiting out the market for a better offer. I think if he doesn't get in a camp by the end of this week, though, he won't make the start of the season, and the offers are going to just go down from there.

I had Kimbrel in Fantasy last year. While I grant his all time great career, the last half of last year was really really shaky. Almost every game was an adventure, it was like the KRod days here. So I get why teams might be balking at a big multi year commitment if the peripheral numbers don't look good on him and if velo was down. Think of it this way, his current team who basically has unlimited money and where he's won them a couple titles is seemingly not interested.

I had Kimbrel in Fantasy last year. While I grant his all time great career, the last half of last year was really really shaky. Almost every game was an adventure, it was like the KRod days here. So I get why teams might be balking at a big multi year commitment if the peripheral numbers don't look good on him and if velo was down. Think of it this way, his current team who basically has unlimited money and where he's won them a couple titles is seemingly not interested.

I feel like Kimbrel is more valuable than Keuchel personally. Maybe it's just the asking prices being so insane that's causing such a problem for them(and if so, I'm glad and think they deserve it). I don't want to say it's too late for them to put up a reasonable asking price, but it kinda is too late. Atlanta isn't going to all of a sudden be like "well Folty has a sore shoulder, ok Keuchel we'll pay you 6/150".

Archived