Brewer Fanatic

Manny Pina drawing trade interest

adambr2

https://www.brewcrewball.com/2019/1/13/18181057/milwaukee-brewers-manny-pina-drawing-trade-interest-per-report

FWIW. Obviously shipping Pina out and going with Kratz as the backup is an option, albeit maybe not the best option.

I think this is a situation where we are listening but doing anything unless we really felt it was too good to refuse. Which is tough to see us getting for Pina.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's not a lot of teams that he'd be an upgrade for. His value is his defense and being adequate while being cheap. He's probably more valuable to the Brewers right not than most other clubs. I'd think teams in a similar position to the Brewers this season would have an interest and maybe the Marlins if they intend on trading Realmuto.

Having a good backup catcher is important. Relying on Kratz and Nottingham full time if Grandal gets hurt doesn't sound great to me. Besides, Grandal is only here for 2019. Keep Manny around and one of the catcher spots is sorted for 2020, at a very reasonable cost. Absolutely no need to trade him unless the offer is truly silly.

I know how this is going to play out! Pina, Peralta, Ray and Dubon will be sent to the Marlins for JT Realmuto. The better fielder will be the new 2B with the other being the starting catcher! Stearns is a genius!

https://www.brewcrewball.com/2019/1/13/18181057/milwaukee-brewers-manny-pina-drawing-trade-interest-per-report

FWIW. Obviously shipping Pina out and going with Kratz as the backup is an option, albeit maybe not the best option.

I think this is a situation where we are listening but doing anything unless we really felt it was too good to refuse. Which is tough to see us getting for Pina.

It's nice to listen, and maybe to figure out what that market is.

After all, using Nottingham as the #2 catcher is an option - just have Grandal be the mentor.

Man oh man I would be really hesitant to trade Pina unless absolutely blown away be an offer. Grandal is a bat first catcher who may or may not allow passed balls in the postseason again and is only on a 1 year deal. I'm thrilled with the Grandal signing, his bat will really help us, but I really think we need Pina. Right now he's the best backup in Baseball and can really help the Crew over the course of a long season.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

If we trade him now, we have no one once Grandall leaves. So then we are the ones having to overpay for a catcher. Unless he is part of a package to get a legit starting pitcher, what's the point?

Kratz is fine in a day or two a week role. Don't ship Pina out for a bag of popcorn by any means, but if someone wants to pay he is FAR from untradeable.

This absolutely depends on the price. Others had made a good point to me previously that having a solid backup option behind Grandal is important, so you wouldn't trade Pina to trade him. But everyone has a price, and we certainly can fill the backup catcher position in free agency for relatively cheap. That player would be worse than Pina(and Grandal), but probably better than Kratz. We certainly can and should listen on Pina. Best case scenario I guess would be to get a solid haul for Pina and sign someone that specifically hits LHP well...as both Pina and Grandal are much better against RHP. I imagine for the backup catcher that defense would be the priority.

We have heard some rumblings about trade interest in Pina, and that obviously becomes more doable with Grandal in the fold. But it's also quite possible that the Brewers go to Spring Training with all four of these catchers and push the decision to a later date. Jacob Nottingham still has options, and while Pina's $1.6 million salary is guaranteed, all but $300,000 of Kratz's contract is non-guaranteed. Keeping all of them would provide insurance in the event someone, I don't know, steps on a cactus.

I know it's boring doing those tough parts of the job like responding to readers comments, but could he actually provide some information after the attempt at comedy? Manny Pina spent 24 days on the DL in 2018 and Vogt missed the entire season, which lead to the period of time best forgotten (i.e. the Jett Bandy days), and the need to acquire Kratz in the first place. Guess what, players get injured all the time and it's actually not much depth having 4 catchers in the top of the system when last year the Brewers used 4 catchers (Pina, Bandy, Nottingham, Kratz)...

Depends (as always) on the return, but also on how they really feel about Nottingham. I take anything the team says about a player with a grain of salt, you never know what they're saying is true or jedi mind tricks. If they have a lot of confidence, makes a Pina trade easier.

I think those of you who think Pina is easily replaceable aren't paying attention to the fact that the Brewers weren't willing to replace him with anyone other than a top tier free agent. They passed on Wilson ramos, for example, TWICE, to keep Pina as the starter. Kratz is 39 years old. he's not part of a future team---but i do think the Brewers view Pina as a future contributer, starting role or no.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Manny Pina is a really nice fit for Milwaukee. He's cheap and he's pretty good. Is he great? No. He is entering his age 32 season. His bat is average - at best. His base running is not good and his conditioning could be better. He's good with the glove, controlling opposing runners, and handling the staff. All in all, that's a solid player, but not one that is likely to fetch top notch players/prospects in a trade.

In the end, we have a nice asset at a nice price. He's probably best starting 60 games - not 100+. But that's still really valuable. 60 games of Pina - rather than Kratz - is a huge plus.

As a competitive team, I wouldn't mess with the Grandal/Pina team unless someone is truly willing to overpay for Manny - which I highly doubt will happen.

I think those of you who think Pina is easily replaceable aren't paying attention to the fact that the Brewers weren't willing to replace him with anyone other than a top tier free agent. They passed on Wilson ramos, for example, TWICE, to keep Pina as the starter. Kratz is 39 years old. he's not part of a future team---but i do think the Brewers view Pina as a future contributer, starting role or no.

THIS

THIS

Pina isn't easily replaceable, but there might be more value in trading him and signing/trading for a slightly worse version of Pina as the backup to Grandal. That's the crux of the debate here.

Archived