Brewer Fanatic

2nd Base or Pitcher?

wallus

It wouldn't surprise me if they end up signing both an experienced IF and another P with a legit shot at making the team. Might be nobodies. Might be something better. I'd be surprised if it's someone on either count who'd end up in the starting lineup or the rotation (though I'd love to be proven wrong).

Right now it's just too hard to tell and there are still 2.5 months before Opening Day, and that's the real drop-dead deadline, so to speak.

When asked about payroll flexiblity in the wtmj interview, Stearns mentioned that Miley was signed in February last year. I've a feeling that Miley is Stearns main FA target, and Miley will probably be back with the Brewers next month.

When asked about payroll flexiblity in the wtmj interview, Stearns mentioned that Miley was signed in February last year. I've a feeling that Miley is Stearns main FA target, and Miley will probably be back with the Brewers next month.

Could be true, however, that laves a lot of time for someone to make him an offer he can't refuse...

Risky to wait too long.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

If we're talking about a veteran pitcher who might not cost too much, why not bring back Gio?

From 2010-2015, he was very good. 2016 was a down year, but he was 6th in the Cy Young voting in 2017. He struggled for much of 2018 but he was pretty effective in September for the Brewers.

He's 33 - hardly over the hill in terms of age - and would add a LHP to the rotation.

I'm a little surprised that he hasn't signed with anyone yet. Is he asking for too much or is something else going on that I'm unaware of?

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

I would presume that since this is likely his only chance at a big(ish) free agent deal, his asking price is fairly high. Judging from the rest of the offseason, it's probably the # of years that's the issue. I still think he has a lot to offer, wouldn't mind bringing him back at the right price. Even though I'd expect Miley to be a higher priority for DS if they're still looking for a LH starter.

If we're talking about a veteran pitcher who might not cost too much, why not bring back Gio?

From 2010-2015, he was very good. 2016 was a down year, but he was 6th in the Cy Young voting in 2017. He struggled for much of 2018 but he was pretty effective in September for the Brewers.

He's 33 - hardly over the hill in terms of age - and would add a LHP to the rotation.

I'm a little surprised that he hasn't signed with anyone yet. Is he asking for too much or is something else going on that I'm unaware of?

I'd pass on Gio, & I was actually excited that we got him last year. He just too often felt like a big inning & short outing waiting to happen.

Maybe Miley isn't the answer either. But he seemed more difficult to face than Gonzalez.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'd pass on Gio, & I was actually excited that we got him last year. He just too often felt like a big inning & short outing waiting to happen.

Maybe Miley isn't the answer either. But he seemed more difficult to face than Gonzalez.

Funnily enough, I'd go the other way. Gio's history suggests much more upside to me. Of course, he'd be much more expensive than Miley...

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Funnily enough, I'd go the other way. Gio's history suggests much more upside to me. Of course, he'd be much more expensive than Miley...

Oh, no doubt that based on history, Gio looks a lot better (hence why I was happy we got him).

But in terms of how tough each guy looked on opposing hitters, 'in the now'? I thought Miley was significantly better last year. And not just like he got historically lucky -- even without big velocity, Miley looked much tougher than Gonzalez.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Oh, no doubt that based on history, Gio looks a lot better (hence why I was happy we got him).

But in terms of how tough each guy looked on opposing hitters, 'in the now'? I thought Miley was significantly better last year. And not just like he got historically lucky -- even without big velocity, Miley looked much tougher than Gonzalez.

I wouldn't say that Miley doesn't have big velocity. He was regularly sitting at 93-94 with his fastball, and was getting up up to 96 at times. For a lefty, that's great. His velocity was actually the big thing that surprised me about him last year. I hadn't thought he had that good of an arm. I agree, too, that Miley looked much better than Gio. Gio, while effective for the most part, did appear to always be on the verge of giving up a big inning. I'd be happy to see a Miley reunion.

I wouldn't say that Miley doesn't have big velocity. He was regularly sitting at 93-94 with his fastball, and was getting up up to 96 at times. For a lefty, that's great. His velocity was actually the big thing that surprised me about him last year. I hadn't thought he had that good of an arm. I agree, too, that Miley looked much better than Gio. Gio, while effective for the most part, did appear to always be on the verge of giving up a big inning. I'd be happy to see a Miley reunion.

91.8 which is about where he's always been.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

91.8 which is about where he's always been.

Maybe I'm remembering Spring Training then, because I remember seeing mid-90s, and being super surprised by it.

Archived