Brewer Fanatic

2nd Base or Pitcher?

wallus

Now that we have catcher figured out, we really only have two areas that could need an upgrade. Let's just assume we have about 10 million dollars available to spend this off-season. How would you spend it? (I know I have "or" in the title but I guess you could sign two guys for 10 million)

For me? After seeing some of the guys I like off the board, I would probably lean towards adding another pitcher right now. A Spangenberg/Perez platoon could put up decent numbers. You have Hiura and Dubon in the minors and it is reasonable that one of them will be ready to go this season if needed.

As much as I didn't really like the signing last season, offer Miley a one year, 8 million dollar deal and see if he goes for it. (He was projected to get 2 years, 12 million)

The clearest upgrade within our budget (if we have any budget left at all) would be a 2B/utility guy like Asdrubal Cabrera.

No starting pitcher under $10 million is going to be a clear upgrade over our internal options. Hard pass on Miley for me, as much as I loved watching him last year when we caught lightning in a bottle.

The clearest upgrade within our budget (if we have any budget left at all) would be a 2B/utility guy like Asdrubal Cabrera.

A platoon would likely put up similar numbers than Cabrera with better defense. Although I would definitely take Cabrera over Harrison. No idea what Cabrera is looking for in terms of a contract.

Cabrera would be okay. Not too exciting, but he's actually had a pretty nice, underrated career. I imagine we could hide his defensive deficiencies better than most. And I would like having 2 switch hitters in the regular lineup.

Wonder what the Orioles would want for Jonathan Villar? :)

A platoon would likely put up similar numbers than Cabrera with better defense. Although I would definitely take Cabrera over Harrison. No idea what Cabrera is looking for in terms of a contract.

If we're platooning Spangenberg/Perez at 2B, then Shaw is starting every single game against LHP. Cabrera brings much better offense and allows Perez to play elsewhere.

No starting pitcher under $10 million is going to be a clear upgrade over our internal options. Hard pass on Miley for me, as much as I loved watching him last year when we caught lightning in a bottle.

Agreed on Asdrubal. Not exciting but a FA for less than 10 mil I guess won't be. He fits the needs.

If it's not him then, I might switch to a pitcher. I also like Derek Holland and Justin Wilson, though neither of those are clear upgrades.

I don't want Cabrera's hack defense anywhere near the Brewers' infield. He makes Shaw look like a Gold Glover there.

Disagree. He's not a great shortstop at this point in his career, but I don't get the sense that he has terrible defense at 3B or 2B.

If we're platooning Spangenberg/Perez at 2B, then Shaw is starting every single game against LHP. Cabrera brings much better offense and allows Perez to play elsewhere.

This is the key to our next pickup. Our lineup could use an upgrade at 2B and we were very vulnerable against LHP in the playoffs. Getting a switch hitter or a RH bat to start at 2B would fill both those holes at once.

@WiscoSportsNut

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2017/10/31/16555334/mets-asdrubal-cabrera-2017-season-option-new-york-shortstop-third-base-second-2018

Cabrera's range has been decreasing for several years now, to the point now where he's a liability wherever you try to hide him on defense. Granted the Brewers can likely mitigate some of that deficiency through shifting, but I wouldn't feel comfortable handing him 2B on a World Series contender, and if the plan is to eventually transition him to a utility role, you typically want a strong defender for that. I grant you that the bat is nice, but that poor defense scares the heck out of me.

Probably neither. Just pocket the money until an obvious upgrade like Cain/Grandal or a potential steal like Chacin comes along. If they do have any payroll flexibility, there's no rush to use it just because you can. You often don't actually get any better that way. They'll find a way to use it eventually.

Probably neither. Just pocket the money until an obvious upgrade like Cain/Grandal or a potential steal like Chacin comes along. If they do have any payroll flexibility, there's no rush to use it just because you can. You often don't actually get any better that way. They'll find a way to use it eventually.

Sure in the off-season you can use money to acquire talent, but during the season their isn’t a very good pool of FA that you would go after so you’re using player capital to acquire talent. I don’t like Moustakas as an option as it doesn’t address our need for a 2B/3B option to platoon with Shaw. I would like to see the Brewers sign Gonzalez or Cabrera or maybe Miley if it’s a friendly deal. Outside of those options, I agree there isn’t much else that is bang for the buck, so save the money.

Sure in the off-season you can use money to acquire talent, but during the season their isn’t a very good pool of FA that you would go after so you’re using player capital to acquire talent.

That's not entirely true. You often don't have to give up any prospects of consequence to trade for guys whose teams are just trying to unload their salary, and those guys are exactly the type of guys whom more impulsive teams foolishly signed while the Brewers held out for better opportunities.

I don't care for any of the options out there except maybe Gonzalez, or Miley if he's cheap. Grandal was the prize for this team. Otherwise I'm waiting. Their window is not closing any time soon IMO.

I would lean toward a starting pitcher. Miley and Gio would be attractive options although I’m not quite sure why Gio won’t get a multi year deal if Lance Lynn, Mike Fiers, and Annibal Sanchez did.

Miley feels like a one year deal along the lines of the Trevor Cahill contract.

Edit: I might add Clay Buchholz to the list. I haven’t read up on what made him successful in about 100IP, but his DRA- was about 85 which is pretty darn good. He’s probably in that 1 year for just under $10mm range too.

I would lean toward a starting pitcher. Miley and Gio would be attractive options although I’m not quite sure why Gio won’t get a multi year deal if Lance Lynn, Mike Fiers, and Annibal Sanchez did.

Miley feels like a one year deal along the lines of the Trevor Cahill contract.

Edit: I might add Clay Buchholz to the list. I haven’t read up on what made him successful in about 100IP, but his DRA- was about 85 which is pretty darn good. He’s probably in that 1 year for just under $10mm range too.

Buchholz is a sneaky good option. His FB, CT and CH were all plus pitches a year ago.

@WiscoSportsNut

2nd Base or Pitcher?

I'd say pitcher. We are pretty much covered for 2B with Hiura, Dubon, Perez and Spangenberg.

Hopeful we can add another very good pitcher to the roster. Pitching has to continue to be the strength of this team.

I think Miley and Bucholz are both lookin at Chacin style contracts, and I'm sure the brewers could find 7.5 million for one of them per year.

I expect Cabrera/Panik/Harrison and a pitcher like one of those guys. None of these players required taking a stab at early in the offseason, so why not just keep waiting until the prices are at their lowest.

Cabrera is at best a minimal upgrade over Perez. No thanks. If you can get Deitrich or Solarte (and unload Thames) to play most days vs. RHP, I think either or those two are better bets than Spangenberg or having Perez facing RH pitching. Both can shift over to 3B or 1B to give Aguilar a day off too.

Cabrera is at best a minimal upgrade over Perez. No thanks. If you can get Deitrich or Solarte (and unload Thames) to play most days vs. RHP, I think either or those two are better bets than Spangenberg or having Perez facing RH pitching. Both can shift over to 3B or 1B to give Aguilar a day off too.

Even if those guys are better (arguably) than Spangenberg, it's too late they already have him. So they have Spangenberg and Shaw vs RHP. What they need is another RH bat so Shaw can sit vs LHP.

My answer to the question is both. While we can afford Marwin, and he's everyone's ideal target, I'd be shocked if we landed him. I think Cabrera makes much more sense than Harrison as he's significantly better offensively - is a switch hitter with similar splits vs lefties and righties. Defense is clearly his wart. It appears to be mainly due to his lack of range at SS/2b, which can absolutely be mitigated somewhat with shifting. His fielding % isn't brutal so it must be the range where he's getting knocked. But it's a huge positive that he can play SS, 2b, 3b.

Regarding a pitcher, while we don't *need* one I think it's best for the team to add one. I think it needs to be a lefty though so either bring back Miley or target Pomeranz if his medicals check out and they think his velo can return. I think SF holds Bum unless we part with someone we'd prefer not too.

Cabrera is at best a minimal upgrade over Perez. No thanks.

Cabrera last year: .262/.316/.458, 2.7 WAR, 111 wRC+

Perez last year: .253/.290/.386, 0.6 WAR, 79 wRC+

Cabrera last three seasons combined: .274/.334/.456, 7.7 WAR, 114 wRC+

Perez last three seasons combined: .262/.294/.411, 2.4 WAR, 83 wRC+

Cabrera is a massive upgrade over Perez.

I'd still go with IF first. These FAs would be an upgrade to our current 2B situation and would allow Perez to be in his proper role. Also, adding another IF provides insurance on Arcia forgetting how to hit again (Perez could cover that need then). Third, if the IF added is RH you don't need to play Shaw vs lefties.

Also, obviously you never have enough pitching and I could get behind a Miley one year deal but chances are he's holding out for two if he hasn't signed. However, MKE will be adding in Nelson, healthy Davies, Woodruff, Burnes to the potential SP mix this year. So in a way you've already added a bunch of pieces there that should be an improvement on last year's SP production.

Archived