Brewer Fanatic

2019 Prediction Time: Out of Nowhere Stars

When the inevitable happens and we need another OF, I Predict Ray will be the guy and show that potential.

Maybe, but for 2019 specifically I think Stokes (already on the 40 man roster) has a lot better chance of logging major league innings (at the very least by September). I also tend to think Corey Ray is going to get traded at somepoint between now and July, but I guess we’ll see.

I'm fine with trading him in the right deal. One year of MadBum is not that deal IMHO. I do agree that Stokes gets the call if they need "a body". I highly doubt that if they need extended, meaningful innings that Ray isn't the call provided he isn't traded.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Braun was hitting balls very hard into bad-luck outs the whole first half, and then in the second half he put up a .370 wOBA/132 wRC+. That's about what he did over the full season in 2016 (.378 wOBA, 134 wRC+).

I agree that Braun is a stealth candidate to anchor the offense.

I agree with the OP, I have high hopes for Guerra out of the pen. He had pretty strong numbers first time through the order as a starter in 2018. He also looked strong in his 10.2 relief innings in the regular/postseason too. I don't know about a sub 2 ERA, but I could definitely see him being successful and an important member of the bullpen in 2019.

Not out of nowhere (he was a top 10 overall prospect for more than just defense), but considering that much has been written by national media types that the Brewers need to have a backup plan at SS, I predict that Arcia is ready to emerge as an all around top shortstop and be a key offensive weapon.

That's my pick as well. He's already shown stretches where he was right on the ball. Now that he has more MLB experience, I have a feeling this year he will put it all together.

I don't see the same Thames as you do. He fails to even put a ball in play once in every 3 ABs, usually in crucial situations. He is an instant out against LH pitchers and a butcher in the OF. He hits HRs every now and then, but his whiffs are overwhelming.

Did you not see him when he was absolutely white hot for significant stretches in 2018 and 2017?

He's not that good, but I think there's a lot of recency bias where people are remembering his poor end to 2018 (probably due to injury/sporadic playing time).

I know he's making 6M but he's also a bench bat for us. How many bench bats are posting his numbers? He was also slashing 250/333/882 heading into the final day of July last year then eventually was put on pinch hit duty the final 6wks because the OF didn't miss any games and Aguilar was fine. While I think Thames is traded he's easily an above average hitter. Sure he K's a lot but he also has a great BB rate with big power. He's also not a butcher in the OF. He makes plays. He just doesn't look overly athletic doing so because he's a monster.

Archived