Brewer Fanatic

2019 Lineup Thread (Batting Order)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How much better does our lineup look with a potential Huira call up in June?

CF:Cain

2B:Huira

RF:Yelich

3B:Moose

C:Grandal

1B:Shaw or Thames

LF:Braun/Gamel

SS:Arcia

Who gets sent down to add Huira? With all the problems CC has with the bullpen, he needs 8 guys out there. With only 4 bench players, Perez is invaluable. Thames is a butcher in the OF so Gamel is needed to replace Braun and Pina is the only other catcher. Stearns isn't going to let Shaw go and Aguilar can't be sent down w/o exposing him to other teams.

With Braun’s permanent, age related regression, there needs to be a hard platoon with Gamel. That, with Aguilar’s new found confidence, Arcia’s moderate improvement, we just have one massive black hole > Shaw. Drop him down to 8th in the batting order, where he won’t kill as many rally’s. When he gets going this offense should be what we thought it would be going into the season.

Verified Member

Shaw 8th?

Naw, that is silly talk imo.

Arcia needs to stay at 8th, hitting or not.

I can see Shaw at 7, but not 8.

I agree about Braun though. Gamel has done nothing but earn a buttload more playing time. Braun is only playing because he is still on the team, and he is Ryan Braun.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

It's silly to give up on anyone at this time of the season. Hopefully, Counsell keeps managing peoples playing time and getting all of our players producing.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Verified Member
How much better does our lineup look with a potential Huira call up in June?

CF:Cain

2B:Huira

RF:Yelich

3B:Moose

C:Grandal

1B:Shaw or Thames

LF:Braun/Gamel

SS:Arcia

Who gets sent down to add Huira? With all the problems CC has with the bullpen, he needs 8 guys out there. With only 4 bench players, Perez is invaluable. Thames is a butcher in the OF so Gamel is needed to replace Braun and Pina is the only other catcher. Stearns isn't going to let Shaw go and Aguilar can't be sent down w/o exposing him to other teams.

Hopefully, by the time Hiura is ready to come up (which could be argued that time is now) the bull pen will have sorted itself out.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

At this point there is no reason to play Braun vs RHP or Shaw vs LHP. Aggy and Thames should be a soft platoon with Thames getting nearly all RHP.

Vs RHP

Cain

Yelich

Moose

Grandal

Thames

Shaw

Arcia

Gamel

P

Vs LHP

Cain

Yelich

Moose

Grandal

Aggy

Braun

Perez

Arcia

P

Hard platoons is just not a good way to use your roster. CC knows this and won't ever stick to just one lineup versus a certain handed pitcher. This is a video game type talk.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Hard platoons is just not a good way to use your roster. CC knows this and won't ever stick to just one lineup versus a certain handed pitcher. This is a video game type talk.

Shaw has a sub 300 OPS against LHP this year (729->285)

Using him vs LHP at this point is irresponsible.

Shaw 8th?

Naw, that is silly talk imo.

Arcia needs to stay at 8th, hitting or not.

I can see Shaw at 7, but not 8.

I agree about Braun though. Gamel has done nothing but earn a buttload more playing time. Braun is only playing because he is still on the team, and he is Ryan Braun.

Fine then bat him 7th. He has single-handedly killed more rallies than just about any player I’ve ever seen in one month. Wait, let me restate that, Travis Shaw has killed more rallies than any player I’ve ever seen in my entire life in one month.

Shaw has a sub 300 OPS against LHP this year (729->285)

Using him vs LHP at this point is irresponsible.

Managing his at bats vs lhp is one thing. Never seeing a lefty is the irresponsible thing.

Cain might be the one they need to start giving more days off to. Over his last 100 at bats he’s slashing .221/.270/.356/.626 and against RHP this year he’s slashing .245/.310/.321/.631. His OPS plus sits currently at 89 and we know his exit velo has been league average at best.

Now, Cain’s defense puts him in a different category than most but some start against RHP for Gamel or Yelich in CF with Cain coming in to replace wouldn’t be the worst thing right now.

Does Travis Shaw have options? Seems like swapping he and Hiura for at least a few weeks could help everybody.

I believe he does. I'd say that there are three ways to get Hiura to the majors:

1. As you suggest, Shaw optioned.

2. Takes Thames/Aguilar roster spot. Which would be ideal from a roster composition point of view if either had options, but they don't. Not (yet) worth losing either one of them just to audition Hiura.

3. Go with a 12-man pitching staff for a while. If there are a bunch of off days coming up, or starters go long allowing bullpen to rest.

There are other ways to do it of course, like optioning Gamel, but none of them make any real sense. Would love to see him up here to see what he can do.

26% in, and now that we know our weakness is NOT our pitching, but our hitting, what to do if anything?

The good:

1.) Yelich

2.) Arcia

3.) Moose

4.) Gamel

The bad:

1.) Grandal

2.) Braun

3.) Thames

4.) Peréz

The ugly:

1.) Shaw

2.) Aguilar

3.) Cain

Can’t have 3 ugly’s. Aguilar is close to the bad category, Cain not so much, and Shaw I have no words.

If this team has at some point half good and half bad, with no uglies, we should be in good shape, just not sure we can get there with-out a call-up and or trade.

26% in, and now that we know our weakness is NOT our pitching, but our hitting, what to do if anything?

The good:

1.) Yelich

2.) Arcia

3.) Moose

4.) Gamel

The bad:

1.) Grandal

2.) Braun

3.) Thames

4.) Peréz

The ugly:

1.) Shaw

2.) Aguilar

3.) Cain

Can’t have 3 ugly’s. Aguilar is close to the bad category, Cain not so much, and Shaw I have no words.

If this team has at some point half good and half bad, with no uglies, we should be in good shape, just not sure we can get there with-out a call-up and or trade.

Your ranking system is flawed.

Grandal: 105 OPS+

Thames: 126 OPS+

Braun: 103 OPS+

Gamel is 104.

Arcia: 83.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Verified Member

Yeah, that's a really shortsighted post. Cain has had a rough two weeks after a stellar, consistent, 8 year career with Gold Glove defense in centerfield. The main problems are Shaw, Shaw, Aguilar, and Shaw.

Everybody else has been fine on the whole and have had stretches of excellence this year. Grandal's defense is slightly worrisome, but his switch hitting, excellent approach at the plate and the ability to hit lots of homers in bunches more than makes up for it. Thames is similar (but worse) and is relied upon less. Perez is there for utility defense, enabling us to roster guys like Shaw and Thames. Any offense from him is basically a bonus (and he has some pop and some speed which are luxurious tools for a bench super utility guy). Braun is Braun.

Again, Shaw and Aguilar are the only issues.

The good:

1.) Yelich

2.) Arcia

3.) Moose

4.) Gamel

The bad:

1.) Grandal

2.) Braun

3.) Thames

4.) Peréz

The ugly:

1.) Shaw

2.) Aguilar

3.) Cain

Your ranking system is flawed.

Grandal: 105 OPS+

Thames: 126 OPS+

Braun: 103 OPS+

Gamel is 104.

Arcia: 83.

Ok Thames in the good, so I wrong on him.

Grandal, since the first week and half has been bad offensively.

Braun outside of one 6 hit game bad

Arcia in the last 25 games has been good offensively.

Yeah, that's a really shortsighted post. Cain has had a rough two weeks after a stellar, consistent, 8 year career with Gold Glove defense in centerfield. The main problems are Shaw, Shaw, Aguilar, and Shaw.

Everybody else has been fine on the whole and have had stretches of excellence this year. Grandal's defense is slightly worrisome, but his switch hitting, excellent approach at the plate and the ability to hit lots of homers in bunches more than makes up for it. Thames is similar (but worse) and is relied upon less. Perez is there for utility defense, enabling us to roster guys like Shaw and Thames. Any offense from him is basically a bonus (and he has some pop and some speed which are luxurious tools for a bench super utility guy). Braun is Braun.

Cain’s on base 100 points lower than last year, that’s a massive regression.

2 black holes and 1 super massive black hole.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Cain will turn it around. Too good of a player not to. I believe in Shaw as well, because the track record is there. Aguilar I'm more leery on, but I think he'll at least be better than he has been. Sometimes guys just go through long stretches of poor hitting.

This is just so factually not true.

Grandal last 20 games hitting under .200, so he’s definitely slumping. And Braun I guess you think is having a good year.

Cain will turn it around. Too good of a player not to. I believe in Shaw as well, because the track record is there. Aguilar I'm more leery on, but I think he'll at least be better than he has been. Sometimes guys just go through long stretches of poor hitting.

I agree with your assessment. This team gonna be fun to watch when Cain and Shaw hitting.

This is just so factually not true.

Grandal last 20 games hitting under .200, so he’s definitely slumping. And Braun I guess you think is having a good year.

No, I don't think Braun (or Grandal) is having a "good" year. That doesn't mean they've been bad. A lot of territory in between. You just can't pick out a week here or there when we're in the middle of May and make any conclusions. Overall, both have been fine. But yea, $40MM to be just "fine" is not ideal. But, as with Cain, it is way too early for concern.

Archived