Brewer Fanatic

Mets get Lowrie - 2 year deal, $20M

KeithStone53151

crap. I was really hoping Stearns target was Lowrie . I understand if we don't have the $ to commit to $24M, but he was my preferred option. There are still a few good options (well one, Gonzalez, so we still have hope)... or not...

That's too bad - but I think that we all know that Stearns is looking for someone to take a one year deal.
"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Yea I understand their budget is hit with Grandal. But man 2/20 is basically fine and what I think most here would've been cool with on Lowrie. That said, maybe their research on his poor 2nd half led them to not chase too hard. If you could move Thames it basically would've almost paid for this deal. Oh well.

As much as I like Grandal, I would have absolutely loved even more for us the two big deals that the Mets made -- 2/20 for Lawrie and 2/19 for Ramos.

And yeah I know they wouldn't have necessarily signed those deals with us.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
As much as I like Grandal, I would have absolutely loved even more for us the two big deals that the Mets made -- 2/20 for Lawrie and 2/19 for Ramos.

I think that would have been ideal - filling both our positional needs for $20M.

But as you say, you never know if they would have signed with us for those prices.

Well that’s a bummer, would have liked him a lot. Good thing there are still approximately 75 solid 2B options out there.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Why more when we have an elite 2B prospect who could be ready by the All Star break?

I wouldn't have minded gambling on a one-year rebound contract for Dozier, but our money was much better spent somehow getting an elite catcher on a one-year deal.

Not interested in a 35 year old middle infielder on a two year deal. Especially one who has been horribly inconsistent his whole career. His BA has been rather constant but where did the 20+ points of OBP and 30-40 points of SLUG come from the last two years and is it at all sustainable at his age?

The Mets are hoarding second basemen. Last year's starter (Jeff McNeil) was bumped off the position by Robinson Cano. By adding Lowrie they seem to have 3 starting 2B. Weird!

It was only a 63 game sample, but the lefty hitting Jeff McNeil was very really good last year. I know he can also play 3B, but it does seem like they are building a lot of redundancy unless something else gives.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Not interested in a 35 year old middle infielder on a two year deal. Especially one who has been horribly inconsistent his whole career. His BA has been rather constant but where did the 20+ points of OBP and 30-40 points of SLUG come from the last two years and is it at all sustainable at his age?

Exactly. Easy pass for me. That goes for most of the other aging 2B's that were available. I have a hunch we're going to be laughing about most of them the way we laughed about Darvish, Arrieta, Cobb, and Lynn this past season.

The fact that the Mets went for him just makes me more confident that it's a bad investment. :laughing

(I realize it's a new gm, but it's a similar impatient win-now organizational philosophy IMO.)

Gonzalez seems always to have made the most sense. You can go more than one year with him, because he could fit multiple ways once Hiura comes up and also because he's younger than other options (about 5 years younger than Lowrie, about 2 years younger than Dozier). I wonder what he'll get and how far Stearns is willing to go for him.

Archived