Brewer Fanatic

Trade for Antonio Brown?

OnTheBlack
Would not surprise me to see them target the interior DL position in the 1st round.

Please FFS, no. Just find a Howard Green in FA and call it a day.

That's not gonna fly in Pettine's defense. You could get by with a Howard Green if you had a good secondary and OLB'ers in Capers D, definitely not in Pettines. He uses his DL to get pressure. Howard Green was a guy who was not terrible for half a season.

Building a NYJ like 2016 DL should be the goal. And we could do MUCH worse than grabbing Oliver or a guy like Wilkins at 12.

If the Packers are going to have a good defense, they need to be dominant up front. Without a Mack like player, the best way to do that is by being able to rotate 8-9 really good players in that front 5 and put pressure on the QB from every different direction. A front of Clark, Daniels, Wilkerson, Lowry and then an Ed Oliver with the two Smiths, maybe Clay back, Kyler and a Jaylon Ferguson type in the 2nd would give us the potential at a dominant front for a long time.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/12/packers-getting-third-down-difference-maker-in-zadarius-smith/?utm_source=spotim&utm_medium=spotim_recirculation&spotim_referrer=recirculation

This is certainly nice to read. The best 3rd down pass rusher in the NFL last year. And he lines up inside? Given what has been said about Clay and his desire to return on a 1 year deal as well as what Gute has said makes me think that they might still be looking for a discount, low risk signing on the outside. Anyone think Clay takes 1 year at 5 million? I'd like to see that, and then 1 year and 3.5 million with a couple million in incentives for Wilkerson as well. At that point, you can draft a guy like Sweat, use him almost exclusively as a 3rd down speed rusher the first half of next year if we're lucky enough to see him fall to us and he won't hit a wall next year.

Man, this off-season has been the most exciting Packers fans have seen in years. I really hope it's not a Washington like off-season, but we've filled most of our major holes, UNLIKE years past when we didn't fill any holes and hoped to fill them with 1 late first and then mainly with mid round picks.

I think Dorsey is tough to work with and he also had issues managing the cap in KC. He can evaluate talent with the best of them though. Might be one of those guys that can build a team up but can't keep them there because he doesn't know how to deal with the cap.

We wouldn't know because he hasn't been given the chance yet. And as I just said, you can very easily manipulate the cap, especially if you have long term franchise type talent that you know are going to stick around for a long time. You can extend them and add years so as to spread the signing bonus over an additional 3 years. The Cowboys would clear like 20 million in cap room just by doing this with Romo.

He's obviously arrogant IMO. Just watching him talk and watching him on Hard Knocks, but the guy has the Cleveland Browns as the favorites to win the AFC North and absolutely LOADED with talent less than a year after they broke like a 30 game losing streak. That's tough to do, even with all the early 1st round picks they've had. Plus, they lost a franchise, and AP LT during that time span while he was still playing at an elite level.

He obviously is more tolerant of guys with character issues(Ty Hill, Peters for example).

We'll have to see what happens when Myles Garrett, Baker, Ward and the rest of that young talent needs to be extended, but right now, he's got a QB on a rookie deal and he's been aggressive. He's got all the playmakers you need offensively with the best (arguably) WR'er talent in the NFL, and another legit #1 in Landry, a TE who runs like a WR'er who can stretch the field, a good group of RB's, a very solid OL. Defensively, he's got edge rushers, play making DB's and...just everything you want.

I'm happy with what Gute has done with the Packers, but I'd take Dorsey over him for a 4-5 year window like we've got with Rodgers. Even if he wrecks the cap for the future, who cares if it gets you another couple trips to the SB, or at least puts you in position.

Would not surprise me to see them target the interior DL position in the 1st round.

Please FFS, no. Just find a Howard Green in FA and call it a day.

That's not gonna fly in Pettine's defense. You could get by with a Howard Green if you had a good secondary and OLB'ers in Capers D, definitely not in Pettines. He uses his DL to get pressure. Howard Green was a guy who was not terrible for half a season.

Building a NYJ like 2016 DL should be the goal. And we could do MUCH worse than grabbing Oliver or a guy like Wilkins at 12.

If the Packers are going to have a good defense, they need to be dominant up front. Without a Mack like player, the best way to do that is by being able to rotate 8-9 really good players in that front 5 and put pressure on the QB from every different direction. A front of Clark, Daniels, Wilkerson, Lowry and then an Ed Oliver with the two Smiths, maybe Clay back, Kyler and a Jaylon Ferguson type in the 2nd would give us the potential at a dominant front for a long time.

Exactly. Interior DL who can penetrate gives another weapon for Pettine. Daniels is falling off and Clark is going to get expensive so they won't address that need with an expensive free agent acquisition. I feel pretty confident they will draft an interior DL in the first 44 picks if the draft board falls that way, and could still supplement the line either way by bringing back Wilkerson.

Gruber Lawffices

Exactly. Interior DL who can penetrate gives another weapon for Pettine. Daniels is falling off and Clark is going to get expensive so they won't address that need with an expensive free agent acquisition. I feel pretty confident they will draft an interior DL in the first 44 picks if the draft board falls that way, and could still supplement the line either way by bringing back Wilkerson.

There are so many studs on the DL in this draft. I can't imagine a guy like Ed Oliver potentially falling out of the top 10 in most drafts or Wilkins potentially being available in the late teens.

Wilkerson is still young, but he's gotta take even less than last year on that one year "prove it" deal, but it'd definitely be nice depth.

I don't see the same drop-off when healthy that others do from Daniels, but even so, he IS gonna be 30 by the time he hits free agency. Hopefully he plays well enough this year that he's a day one free agent next year that we either re-sign before free agency starts, or someone gives stupid money to!

Ed Oliver though, he was used as a DT at Houston and he was good, but he's not a natural DT. He's a 3 technique who could be a double digit sack guy.

Bring back Clay on the cheap, pick the best pass rusher available assuming one of the studs IS available, Oliver, Sweat, whoever and give Pettine the pieces to provide the pressure so that guys like Jackson can use their ball-hawking skills to rack up the picks in the secondary.

One quick thing. Anyone else here realize Sweat was a Michigan State guy before running into some trouble and transferring? He's obviously an athletic freak, but he spent 5 years in college. I wonder if he really has the upside some of the other guys do?

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

One quick thing. Anyone else here realize Sweat was a Michigan State guy before running into some trouble and transferring? He's obviously an athletic freak, but he spent 5 years in college. I wonder if he really has the upside some of the other guys do?

To put this in perspective, Kenny Clark (23) is exactly 11 months older than Sweat (22) yet Clark will be entering his 4th year in the NFL.

I really hope the Packers lock up Clark soon. It's a given that they'll at least pick up his 5th year option for the 2020 season, but if he hits FA he'll be entering his age 26 season in 2021. Not many premier talents hit the open market at that age. He's not Aaron Donald, but he's still a top 5 DT.

Gruber Lawffices

To put this in perspective, Kenny Clark (23) is exactly 11 months older than Sweat (22) yet Clark will be entering his 4th year in the NFL.

I really hope the Packers lock up Clark soon. It's a given that they'll at least pick up his 5th year option for the 2020 season, but if he hits FA he'll be entering his age 26 season in 2021. Not many premier talents hit the open market at that age. He's not Aaron Donald, but he's still a top 5 DT.

Yeah, I was surprised that Sweat was a former MSU transfer after getting kicked off the team when he and former Badger recruit(who didn't qualify for UW) Craig Evans got into some trouble. Evans didn't get booted, but Sweat did.

But I absolutely agree. That was one of the things they talked about with Clark when they drafted him. He was so young. I'd really look to roll in his 5th year option into a extension or even this year as well to minimize the cap hit. I think he's just teetering on the verge of breaking out in a big way. A 8+ sack season if you have consistent outside pass rushers with Daniels and maybe Mo Wilkerson on either side of him, and we know he can stuff the run.

Clark, Alexander and Amos look like the 3 most likely candidates to become all pro type players from this D in the near future with Kevin King being the dark horse as we haven't seen what he can do over 16+ games yet.

Also, locking up Clark now allows you to minimize the cap hit significantly. And since Rodgers is 35, start making some Cowboy type signings where they sign guys to 7-8 years so they can get the guaranteed money and mitigate the cap hit knowing that eventually they'll have to eat some of that dead cap room.

Archived