Brewer Fanatic

Trade for Antonio Brown?

OnTheBlack
Our 2 and a 5 or 6 should get it done

Yeah sure if you want to trade for someone not named Brown. It is going to take the 30th pick plus next years first to get Brown. The Packers are not going to get him by offering garbage picks.

Yikes

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Our 2 and a 5 or 6 should get it done

Yeah sure if you want to trade for someone not named Brown. It is going to take the 30th pick plus next years first to get Brown. The Packers are not going to get him by offering garbage picks.

Yikes

It's one thing to be wrong. Completely something else to be condescending while doing it.

My steelers caved lost all respect for Art and the FO

As said earlier, there was zero chance he’d be back & any talk they’d hold onto him was just sports talk to get leverage. The bridge didn’t need repairs, it was far past that. The bridge was burned to the ground. Now the deal they got for him?! Eek. Raiders loaded with high picks & best they could get was a 3rd & 5th?

Think Packers will regret not doing this the same as not trading a 4th for Moss did. ARod will continue to have one true weapon in Adams & we will have to pray Graham re-emerges or a bunch of kids take giant leap. I think bring back Cobb would be smart considering I don’t think Humphries, Tate, Beasley, J Brown, Crowder are all that better of slot WRs.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

As said earlier, there was zero chance he’d be back & any talk they’d hold onto him was just sports talk to get leverage. The bridge didn’t need repairs, it was far past that. The bridge was burned to the ground. Now the deal they got for him?! Eek. Raiders loaded with high picks & best they could get was a 3rd & 5th?

Think Packers will regret not doing this the same as not trading a 4th for Moss did. ARod will continue to have one true weapon in Adams & we will have to pray Graham re-emerges or a bunch of kids take giant leap. I think bring back Cobb would be smart considering I don’t think Humphries, Tate, Beasley, J Brown, Crowder are all that better of slot WRs.

And it was clear that AB was in charge of the situation. In retrospect, not trading for Moss was probably a miss (can't guarantee he does as well in GB) and I didn't want him then. But I still struggle in getting a tool like AB on our team. If you knew he wasn't going to be a headcase, it might not be so bad. And he is going to be a big $$ hit too. Frankly, he seems like the perfect Raider.

Also, Gruden is making his bed with the Raiders. We will know very quickly if he really wants to sleep in it. (Not just AB, but also Toomer, Mack, etc...)

Sometimes you need to take that risk on a tool. 100 catches 1500 10TD average over 6 seasons is not to shabby. Put him with ARod & opposite of another WR who has become elite.... this is an explosive offense. Right now, You put extra man over Adams & you let rest of offense try to beat you. Jones, Williams, St Brown, MVS, Allison, Graham.... as a defensive coordinator in not too scared. Even if you draft a Fant & M. Brown... two very explosive options, hard to rely on a rookie success. That is why you risk a tool & money.

I’m not angry about not landing him but think the reward tops risk considering what the deal was. Hopefully Packers find a way to improve certainty on offense. With no real proven #2 WR & FA/draft class not really all that impressive.... be interesting to see how off season plays out

Not totally up on the Packers cap situation but would trading for Brown and giving him the contract he wants make any sense at all with Rodgers contract? Wouldn't that be like 1/5 of the cap tied up to two players?

It’d be a lot for sure. Would leave use with only 15 million or so to work with... more once Perry is hopefully cut. My guess they have eyes on a few defensive splashes that they did not want to invest so much in 1 WR.

This isn't anything like Moss. With Moss, we were already willing to give up a 5th, we just weren't willing to give up a 4th(IIRC) and the Pats jumped in and just offered a higher pick.

In this case, Brown wanted and got a new contract. That's just more stupidity from the Raiders organization. Let Cooper and far worse Mack leave and then spend your money on a 30 year old WR'er...who I think will still be elite for 3-4 years, but not while you're likely ready to be competitive.

The Raiders are pushing the Cards for worst run team in football now that the Browns look to be fixed....with the majority of their FO being former Green Bay execs.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

joey i am a big steelers fan and been also talking with some beat guys that unless blown away and getting what they want are not giving him away.

Would you consider this "giving him away?"

Seems to me the smart teams likely bowed out once he started demanding another big contract and only the dumb teams(the Cards, Raiders and the like stayed in at that point).

Hard to reconcile the Steelers owners the Rooney family, one of the most respected families in sports with that moron they've got for a GM right now though. After what he came out and said, I think it validated a lot of what Brown had been saying all off-season.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

So the Browns pull off another HUGE move and just a year removed from going win-less and having one of the worst two year stretches ever, they may now be one of the 2-3 best teams in terms of pure talent with potential superstars all over the place from Garrett, Ward, OBJ, Landry may not be a superstar, but he's one of the most reliable possession recievers. Baker looks like he's a legit stud, they have a TE with elite speed and field stretching talent and the one position they'd actually been building up in previous years was the OL.

Meanwhile...the Giants are pushing the Raiders for worst run teams.

Oh, and after sitting out and passing up 14.5 million, Bell ends up signing for "just" 4 years and 52 million, not getting close to the Gurley deal he was seeking.

Former Packer executives have really turned the Browns around and in a hurry. Just as Dorsey did in KC where he went and drafted probably the single most valuable player in the NFL at this point in Mahomes and surrounded him with talent before inexplicably being forced out as the team was peaking(they were a Dee Ford off-sides away from going to the Super Bowl last year).

The Packers spend 150 million in free agency, Antonio Brown gets traded for a 3rd and a 5th....the Browns are a legit contender..up is down, down is up...in the words of the greatest coach of all time, "What the hell is going on out here."

So the Browns pull off another HUGE move and just a year removed from going win-less and having one of the worst two year stretches ever, they may now be one of the 2-3 best teams in terms of pure talent with potential superstars all over the place from Garrett, Ward, OBJ, Landry may not be a superstar, but he's one of the most reliable possession recievers. Baker looks like he's a legit stud, they have a TE with elite speed and field stretching talent and the one position they'd actually been building up in previous years was the OL.

Meanwhile...the Giants are pushing the Raiders for worst run teams.

Oh, and after sitting out and passing up 14.5 million, Bell ends up signing for "just" 4 years and 52 million, not getting close to the Gurley deal he was seeking.

Former Packer executives have really turned the Browns around and in a hurry. Just as Dorsey did in KC where he went and drafted probably the single most valuable player in the NFL at this point in Mahomes and surrounded him with talent before inexplicably being forced out as the team was peaking(they were a Dee Ford off-sides away from going to the Super Bowl last year).

The Packers spend 150 million in free agency, Antonio Brown gets traded for a 3rd and a 5th....the Browns are a legit contender..up is down, down is up...in the words of the greatest coach of all time, "What the hell is going on out here."

You see this fairly often when teams have a QB on a rookie deal. HUGE advantage because they can spend elsewhere on the team and the QB has a cap friendly number. What is 12's cap #??

I think Dorsey is tough to work with and he also had issues managing the cap in KC. He can evaluate talent with the best of them though. Might be one of those guys that can build a team up but can't keep them there because he doesn't know how to deal with the cap.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

What is 12's cap #??

$26,500,000, the highest on the team by far and 13.5% of the Packers' total cap.

And it goes up another $6MM next season. These 4 FA s signed will have higher cap numbers next year also, so there won't be much room to maneuver. But that's next year, doesn't matter to me after we win the SB this year.

We also have dead money coming off the cap next year. All of Perry's $10-11M went on this year with no impact next year. William's $6M, Bulaga's $6M, Daniel's $11M and Crosby's $5M will come off due to FA (a few less expensive players too like Martinez and Spriggs). Plus, Graham could be cut to save $6-7M.

Granted, that leaves big holes at DL, RT, K, and ILB.

Be interesting to see if those spots match up with their draft this year.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Be interesting to see if those spots match up with their draft this year.

I'm guessing that will be a part of their drafting strategy this year:

RT/RG: guessing they'll try to draft one of these positions early this year, and then have Turner and this draft pick on the right side next year

TE: if they draft a TE early this year, can be the backup behind Graham, then let Graham go after this season to save some $

ILB: probably going to have to grab a couple in the draft to pair with the new OLBs brought in via FA

K: can worry about that next offseason

DL: LOTS of DL talent in the draft, will probably add one to add for depth/rotation anyway, hopefully they look to bring Daniel's back anyway?

Daniels play slipped a bit last year, plus Clark is going to get paid here in the near future. Would not surprise me to see them target the interior DL position in the 1st round. Makes more economic sense to draft a rookie than to bring back Daniels if they see his play slipping.
Gruber Lawffices

Generally, I'm opposed to giving a player his second FA contract unless he is a special player. Daniels is good, but not special. And as PBIB said, slipped a bit. Save the money for Clark and draft a DL.

I want Daniels back. Clark is obviously more important, and they should be looking to extend him in the near future even with 2 years left before FA. I think with the guys around him, he's about ready to really break out into a stud and if you could lock him up right now by adding 3 years and 30 million with a 15 million dollar signing bonus, ensuring he'd be around for the next 5 years, that'd be a good move IMO.

It might be smarter to let Daniels leave via Free Agency after this year, but I just like his mentality and toughness and think his slip was in part because of injuries. I don't think though that Daniels situation either way should impact them potentially drafting a DL in this draft. If Oliver falls to 12 and Sweat and others are gone, take him.

We also have dead money coming off the cap next year. All of Perry's $10-11M went on this year with no impact next year. William's $6M, Bulaga's $6M, Daniel's $11M and Crosby's $5M will come off due to FA (a few less expensive players too like Martinez and Spriggs). Plus, Graham could be cut to save $6-7M.

The NFL doesn't really have a hard cap. I mean...technically is it, but there are so many ways to work around it, so many clear cut ways teams clear cap room by intentionally manipulating deals that you know they have no intention of honoring or with the sole intention of clearing up cap room that it's kinda a soft cap.

Just go to Rodgers and ask him if he wants to add 3 years to his deal at 30 million per year, not guaranteed, give him a 15 million dollar signing bonus and clear a ton of cap room like the Cowboys did with Romo or like the Pats have done with Brady. It gives the player more money, and if the team is willing to spend like the Packers are, it gives him plenty of incentive to do that. Eventually you have to bite the bullet and have that cap clearing year, but as long as it doesn't come while Rodgers is here, who cares? It's highly unlikely that the Packers are going to go from a competitive team, have Rodgers retire and then remain competitive immediately after.

[sarcasm]In fact, maybe they should be going all in this year and then tank next year in the Trevor Lawrence draft![/sarcasm]

Archived