Brewer Fanatic

Trade for Antonio Brown?

OnTheBlack
The steelers are open to moving him that get the best results for the steelers and again i say they wont be giving him away. I can't see him playing with a qb like AR.

Kinda sounds like from what the Steelers have come out and directly stated, they're open to moving him because they simply don't want him back and the situation for a number of reasons has become untenable. And again, some of Big Ben's passive aggressive comments and the comments just made by the GM suggest it's a bit more nuanced than just a disgruntled WR'er. Obviously they want to get the most for him that they can and nobody has suggested they'll be "giving" him away.

As for playing with AR, he's an elite route runner and has a reputation as a extremely hard worker. Not sure why he wouldn't fit with Rodgers. I doubt he'd have issues playing for the most physically talented thrower in the NFL.

I guess it only takes one team and there are a lot of poorly runs teams out there(the Raiders look like they've taken the baton from the Browns to lead the league in that respect).

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

OK guys, take this for what it's worth, but I just got a tidbit through a source that the Packers have had preliminary trade contact with both the Steelers for AB and the Giants for Beckham. Their offers center on #30. The deal would likely be #30 straight up for Brown. Packers would need to add an asset with #30 for Beckham, and the Giants love Valdez Scantling.

Again, don't kill the messenger, but this is what I heard from an insider source who is close to the team's front office. Personally, I'm not sure if either of those deals makes a ton of sense from the Packers' perspective.

Beckham would be a steal for #30 and VS if money wasn't a concern. He just signed a huge extension so there'd have to be some cap maneuvering.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Beckham has some antics, but playing on a winning team and having a Hall of Fame quarterback that will get him the ball plenty would do wonders for a guy that’s as competitive as he is. I would love to add Beckham if possible. He is only 26 years old and still has a lot of great football ahead of him.

OK guys, take this for what it's worth, but I just got a tidbit through a source that the Packers have had preliminary trade contact with both the Steelers for AB and the Giants for Beckham. Their offers center on #30. The deal would likely be #30 straight up for Brown. Packers would need to add an asset with #30 for Beckham, and the Giants love Valdez Scantling.

Again, don't kill the messenger, but this is what I heard from an insider source who is close to the team's front office. Personally, I'm not sure if either of those deals makes a ton of sense from the Packers' perspective.

Now we have Packers version of HighHeat. Awesome! ; )

Now we have Packers version of HighHeat. Awesome! ; )

When I start throwing around ratios and percentages that a move is going to happen, I deserve to be banned. ;)

Honestly, nothing my buddy told me is really surprising. The Packers know they have a limited window, so it makes sense to get the most talent they can to surround Rodgers with. If in fact Brown and Beckham are available, pretty easy to connect the dots that the Packers would at least make a call. The only thing that hasn't bee out there was that tidbit that the Giants like Valdez-Scantling ... and there again, what team wouldn't like a 6'4" 24-year-old freak athlete that runs a 4.3 and makes league minimum? My buddy didn't give any indication that a deal was going to happen, or that something was even close. Just that there's been contact made, and the parameters have been discussed.

It's all good, I just couldn't resist. I know you didn't/ wouldn't act like "I know it all" and then be all cryptic about it. Anyhow, without reading through all the pages, I would want to know how many years each of them have left on their contracts. Giving up a 1st round pick for a one year rental wouldn't fly with me. Two years, eh, maybe. But if I get 3 years+ it's definitely worth considering at least.

(FYI, starting to think your Giants info is a miss-direction and Al Davis is actually your contact. Valdez-Scantling is an AL Davis guy if there ever was one.)

It's all good, I just couldn't resist. I know you didn't/ wouldn't act like "I know it all" and then be all cryptic about it. Anyhow, without reading through all the pages, I would want to know how many years each of them have left on their contracts. Giving up a 1st round pick for a one year rental wouldn't fly with me. Two years, eh, maybe. But if I get 3 years+ it's definitely worth considering at least.

(FYI, starting to think your Giants info is a miss-direction and Al Davis is actually your contact. Valdez-Scantling is an AL Davis guy if there ever was one.)

LOL! Ghost: Black Hole Nation is a Netflix show I would binge the heck out of. Although the pottery scene with Gruden would be pretty weird. ;)

Another wrinkle in the Brown drama is his $2.5M Roster Bonus. The bonus is due to Brown if he's on a roster as of the 5th day of the new league year (March 17th). The Steelers have asked that Brown delay this date to allow them more time to evaluate trade offers. Brown has refused.

Per the contract, the roster bonus won't actually be paid out on March 17th. It will be paid out in 17 weekly installments during the 2019 season. What this means is that whoever has Brown's rights as of those in-season weeks will be obligated to pay the bonus to Brown from a CASH accounting standpoint, but if Brown is still with the Steelers as of March 17th that bonus will still count against their salary cap for 2019 despite not having any cash obligation towards Brown if they trade him subsequent to that date. So Brown is basically exerting this as leverage to paint the Steelers into a corner since it will cost them an additional $2.5M in salary cap space if they don't trade him by March 17th.

Gruber Lawffices

LOL so much noise with this right now. Conflicting reports that the Packers are or were in, and weren't/never were. They definitely have been engaged with the Steelers. Brown nixed a trade to Buffalo last night because he doesn't want to go to the Bills. Hard to blame him. They suck. He wants the Packers (even though the Packers kinda suck right now too) and the Packers want him. It's a matter of the Steelers being the 3rd party.

If that's true, the Steelers' leverage is nothing. I'd offer a 2nd, and that's about it at this point.

You know what's going to happen. Belicheck is going to ride in with a last-minute offer of #32, and the Steelers are going to feel backed into a corner and take it. That is nauseating. But he just operates at a different level than the rest of these guys.

I want to believe my buddy saying that the Packers are still in, but there's a lot of noise now saying they aren't. So who knows?

I feel like the Steelers are leaking that there's more interest than there really is.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yeah, I wouldn't get your hopes up on this one.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Not sure why the biggest divas are WR's. They are the position that is most dependent on other players for success. They need a good QB to get them the ball, a good O line to allow the QB time to get them the ball, and generally speaking either a good running game to keep the defense honest or a pretty good WR playing opposite them to avoid constant double teams. Yet, they seem to think they are god's gift to football and every team should revolve around them.

How can nobody want this guy? Or is this a situation of the Steelers severely overplaying their hand?

I haven't followed this too closely because I can't imagine the Packers use draft capital and cap space to acquire Brown with holes on the online, TE, LB, and safety. That said, this article talks about receiver production for receivers Brown's age.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.acmepackingcompany.com/platform/amp/2019/2/22/18236295/packers-antonio-brown-odell-beckham-jr-steelers-giants-trade-nfl-2019

Since 2000, only four wide receivers have earned first-team All-Pro honors in their age-31 season or later. Brown will likely remain an effective player over the next few years. However, any team acquiring him will have paid a high price for All-Pro production, not merely good play.

Brown has a decent shot at being all pro this year, and maybe even next year, but will he is he going to worth his contract in three or four years? Maybe, but if he wants any sort of new deal or extension, I would be less inclined to think adding him would work out well longer term.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

A 3 and a 5. Just missed it lol

And a reworked contract that makes him the highest paid receiver in the league by far. Brown demanded his contract be reworked by whoever traded for him, and the Packers were only interested if he continued under his current deal. That made it fall apart.

Archived