Brewer Fanatic

Yasmani Grandal signs with Brewers - 1 year, $16 million. Mutual option for 2020.

Eye Black
Baseball’s revenues are growing at a huge pace and yet teams aren’t spending. That’s a big problem. The Cubs are saying they don’t have any money? Get out of here with that nonsense.

Not to derail the topic too much, but the Cubs are looking at $210M payroll if they do nothing at this point. And they are a team with at least a couple minor needs. Heck there is still talk of them getting Harper.

Also the link below for a reminder of contracts signed this offseason. With some of those contracts, it's seriously hard to argue that teams aren't spending.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very happy to have Grandal.

I think I would have liked to have gotten him for two years rather one -- but such is life. Perhaps the club feels that Nottingham will likely be ready by 2020 to take a regular job in the big leagues.

The one year deal really keeps the team financially flexible going forward.

I'd really like to add Jed Lowrie as well. But this will push our salary up past $120M. Who knows what are cap is for the year.

I still can't believe Grandal settled for a one year deal. I thought he would get 3 years and roughly $40-45M.

This sums up exactly what I thought when I woke up this morning and read that the Brewers had landed Grandal - every one of these points went through my mind.

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Baseball’s revenues are growing at a huge pace and yet teams aren’t spending. That’s a big problem. The Cubs are saying they don’t have any money? Get out of here with that nonsense.

I don't really want to argue this as the mods have asked us not to, but the offseason isn't over. Last year was weird though I'll agree.

WRT Grandal, Keith pointed out some of the reasons he may have balked at the Mets' offer. Those are the likeliest answers, but it could be something as simple as he didn't want to live in New York, or any number of other things.

There's a very real chance he ends up making more than $60MMM over the next 4 years.

Is there any chance pina could be on the move with this signing?

The natural inclination is to think that Kratz is the odd man out, but we've seen how much they like him.

Pina has some potential trade value. If they really believe in Nottingham, I could see Pina getting dealt before the season, Kratz staying as backup and Nottingham as insurance in AAA. Grandal is going to get the lion's share of starts no matter who is the backup.

Frankly, this is why I wonder if they'll turn around and trade Pina. Backup catchers rarely PH anyways. I feel like Pina is wasted in the backup role, would be better to trade him now. Especially considering he will be 32 this year and is entering arbitration. If we were ever going to get value for him in a trade, now would be the time.

That's logical but I think the issue becomes the significant drop off from Pina to Kratz as the backup and what happens if Grandal gets injured and misses a decent amount of time? You're now turning to a starter in Pina vs a backup in Kratz. Given it's the catching position and it's difficult to find quality catchers I don't think we should trade Pina at all, even if both Grandal/Kratz are gone and Nottingham takes over the following year. Let him stay here and give us depth and stability at that position until he's a FA in 3yrs. Plus, there's nobody coming up behind Nottingham in the system that's remotely close to being ready within 3yrs. Pina will be an excellent backup and if the Brewers believe in Nottingham all the more reason to keep Pina as it'll be difficult to find a backup of his quality at that price.

Kratz got starting time in the playoffs and was great vs CO and pure trash (2-16, bb) vs LA. Pina was consistent in the 3 games he started (1 CO, 2 LA) and was great. Now imagine Pina doing that same thing as the backup but with Grandal replacing Kratz...even though Grandal's been trash in the playoffs over his career he's still a much better option than Kratz was for us in 2018.

Nice! As usual, they wait for the right value move and pounce. You have to admire their patience. I'm gladly giving up the pick for a chance to make a contending team much better. That's what assets are for. Look for Grandal to absolutely mash in Miller Park and get a better contract next year because he won't have a QO hanging over his head. Works for everyone!

This is the one expensive free agent I wanted. Last year, Cain was the one expensive free agent I wanted and Yelich was the big-name trade target I wanted. Absolutely thrilled and amazed that they continue to wait for great opportunities instead of blowing their assets impulsively.

I don't expect any more splashy moves though. Cain/Yelich last year never meant they had to go all-in and sign Darvish or Arrieta to a bad contract, no matter how much some people insisted it did, and this move doesn't mean they have to go all-in and sign an aging 2B to a lucrative 3-year deal or trade assets for a declining "ace" like Bumgarner. It's okay to have a few mediocre players, and it's practically a must if you're a small market team. They're doing a great job maximizing their payroll flexibility, and they're going to continue doing so.

He had better be better than he showed in the playoffs against the Crew. A big incentive for him is to have a big year and get his big contract from someone. Hopefully Stearns made a good signing. Pina as backup sounds good to me and if Grandal falters he can take over.

The MLBTR article on this signing said we're at 123M after Grandal so that's the number I went off of. That includes Chase, Thames and everyone else owed money this year.

Thames is guaranteed to be traded so that's 6M cleared off so down to 117M. They can go much higher no doubt for the right piece(s). I personally don't think Chase is going anywhere. If they add a rotation arm it's that person, Nelson, Chacin, Chase, Davies and if for some reason Nelson has issues we have Burnes in house with plenty of dudes to backfill his slot (T. Williams, Barnes, etc)

Who says the Crew HAS to deal Thames? Right now, they could roll out this lineup:

cf: Cain

rf: Yelich

3b: Aguilar

2b: Shaw

lf: Braun

c: Grandal

1b: Thames

ss: Arcia

Pitcher

Even deGrom would be needing to change his undies after he found out he was facing THIS lineup. We're talking six guys who could easily mash 30 homers... this is the Ultimate Craig's Crushers lineup.

The MLBTR article on this signing said we're at 123M after Grandal so that's the number I went off of. That includes Chase, Thames and everyone else owed money this year.

Thames is guaranteed to be traded so that's 6M cleared off so down to 117M. They can go much higher no doubt for the right piece(s). I personally don't think Chase is going anywhere. If they add a rotation arm it's that person, Nelson, Chacin, Chase, Davies and if for some reason Nelson has issues we have Burnes in house with plenty of dudes to backfill his slot (T. Williams, Barnes, etc)

Who says the Crew HAS to deal Thames? Right now, they could roll out this lineup:

cf: Cain

rf: Yelich

3b: Aguilar

2b: Shaw

lf: Braun

c: Grandal

1b: Thames

ss: Arcia

Pitcher

Even deGrom would be needing to change his undies after he found out he was facing THIS lineup. We're talking six guys who could easily mash 30 homers... this is the Ultimate Craig's Crushers lineup.

Just trade Thames and sign one of the remaining 2b that are free agents. Same crushers lineup with good defense.

There are not terrible odds that Thames is better than Aguilar in 2019. I wouldn't trade him unless we are getting a major asset like a SP.

Thames was injured of something at the very end of 2018. Don't let it distract you from what a useful (and fun) player he's been for us.

Jesus at 3B talk again?

Just stop...

People think this signing means Thames has to be dealt. I just think it should be pointed out that a Thames trade is NOT inevitable because of signing Grandal.

Besides, that lineup has only ONE potential black hole: Arcia.

Jesus at 3B talk again?

Just stop...

People think this signing means Thames has to be dealt. I just think it should be pointed out that a Thames trade is NOT inevitable because of signing Grandal.

Besides, that lineup has only ONE potential black hole: Arcia.

I've said Thames is likely to be traded *long before* Grandal was signed. We're going to have 13 pitchers so that leaves 4 bench spots. Pina, Gamel, Perez, Spangenberg (both lefties here have some pop too and they're both leaving Safeco/Petco for Miller Park not to mention we just got a huge power boost to the lineup with Grandal). Thames plays 1b/corner OF and we don't need a 1b/corner OF (Yelich, Braun, Gamel, Perez for OF and Aguilar, Shaw, Braun, Perez, Spangenberg for 1b - technically Grandal too but he's catching). Thames also makes like 5M+ more than Aguilar and has 2yrs less control (if you included Thames option).

You don't have to sell me on how productive Thames is. I know he is. I like him. He gets on base and hits for power. But he doesn't make sense for this team right now. So his 6M coming off the books would help go toward a player who does make sense for this current team (ie Bum, potentially a vet 2b on a 1yr, potentially Moose on a 1yr, etc)

Well this is fun! Love the signing, as it seems everyone else does. I haven't looked in to any of this, but can Grandal play 1b at all? Don't know if he offers any flexibility. What happens to Kratz now?

He's played some 1b. I think he'll be ok there. No Goldschmidt or Rizzo, but he'll be fine.

Well this is fun! Love the signing, as it seems everyone else does. I haven't looked in to any of this, but can Grandal play 1b at all? Don't know if he offers any flexibility. What happens to Kratz now?

Yes, 38 career games at 1B. I'm sure that came into play.

Kratz is injury insurance and a potential Nottingham mentor at San Antonio.

Yes, 38 career games at 1B. I'm sure that came into play.

Kratz is injury insurance and a potential Nottingham mentor at San Antonio.

Perfect! Not that they'd use him there much, I'm guessing, but it's always nice to have that flexibility. Also works out perfectly to have Grandal get us to the playoffs, and then bench him for Kratz, who can dominate the post season again.

I do not like this signing. I do not think spending 18.25 million dollars AND third highest draft pick is worth the slight offensive upgrade. Grandal is a career .240 hitter and batted .241 last year versus .252 for Piña. Yes, he has a little more power than Manny (24 homeruns versus Manny's (adjusted for at bats) 13 homeruns) and the slightly higher OPS and WAR is simply not worth the money and draft pick. We could and should have used that money to upgrade second base where we could really use an upgrade or add a starting pitcher instead.

I do not like this signing. I do not think spending 18.25 million dollars AND third highest draft pick is worth the slight offensive upgrade. Grandal is a career .240 hitter and batted .241 last year versus .252 for Piña. Yes, he has a little more power than Manny (24 homeruns versus Manny's (adjusted for at bats) 13 homeruns) and the slightly higher OPS and WAR is simply not worth the money and draft pick. We could and should have used that money to upgrade second base where we could really use an upgrade or add a starting pitcher instead.

Pina probably wasn't going to play 120+ games anyway, so it's in no small way an upgrade over Kratz too. And you're grossly underestimating ballpark factors when you call him a slight offensive upgrade. Look a few pages back and check out Grandal's spray chart overlaid on Miller Park dimensions. That's like saying 2017 Thames would be a slight offensive upgrade over Pina if he were a catcher.

This move in no way precludes them from upgrading at 2B and in the rotation.

Archived