Brewer Fanatic

Yasmani Grandal signs with Brewers - 1 year, $16 million. Mutual option for 2020.

Eye Black
Grandal has started 38 major league games at 1B, so if there was any doubt that Thames is being shopped, this signing should put that to rest. The only way they'd go with 3 catchers is if one is playing 1B once a week or so. Besides on days when Pina starts and Grandal is on the bench, having a 3rd catcher would allow them to use Grandal as the prime PH.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have at least 6 guys on the current 40 who can play 1st. Grandal loses a lot of value moving over to 1st. I'm sure his ability to play 1st is a nice bonus, but I doubt it is really tied to anything else we do or was really much of a factor in why we wanted him. We are paying him $18M+ to be our starting catcher, not to be an average 1st baseman.

We have at least 6 guys on the current 40 who can play 1st. Grandal loses a lot of value moving over to 1st. I'm sure his ability to play 1st is a nice bonus, but I doubt it is really tied to anything else we do or was really much of a factor in why we wanted him. We are paying him $18M+ to be our starting catcher, not to be an average 1st baseman.

We are also paying him $18+ million to play every day, or nearly every day, and you just can't do that with a 30-year-old catcher. Pina is a streaky hitter, and if he gets on one of his hot streaks, there are going to be times that you want both his and Grandal's bats in the lineup. I have no doubt that Grandal will see time at 1B this year, along with at DH in interleague games.

IIRC, Kratz had a split deal, so it would be logical for depth to have him break camp at AAA. I'd be stunned if this was done with the intention of moving Pina for a Grandal/Kratz combo.

I can't find anything on Kratz's contract saying it's a split contract. I don't think it is. He is also out of options, not sure if he's ever been outrighted.

I don't think it's a split contract. I think it was just 1yr for 1.2M if he makes the team but if he's cut before the season they pay him 300K. I'm assuming nobody else will sign him so he ends up in AAA mentoring Nottingham while being a depth piece in case Grandal/Pina are injured. Nottingham can fully develop then.

I can't see Pina on the move as a result of this signing - no way they want Kratz over him as the backup as that's a sizable downgrade. And after 2019 Grandal and Kratz are FA so if Pina is gone now that would leave just Nottingham heading into 2020. Plus, Grandal wasn't acquired because we needed an upgrade over Pina, who's been like a 95 OPS+ hitter and great defender. That's not the issue. The issue is the lack of offense of the Kratz/Bandy types or the solid offense from Vogt but brutal arm so guys steal bases walking. Pina covers both sides well and landing Grandal turned out to be the best thing as he upgrades an already productive player now making him one of the best backups in the game so we're deep at that spot now (including Kratz/Nottingham AAA).

IIRC, Kratz had a split deal, so it would be logical for depth to have him break camp at AAA. I'd be stunned if this was done with the intention of moving Pina for a Grandal/Kratz combo.

I can't find anything on Kratz's contract saying it's a split contract. I don't think it is. He is also out of options, not sure if he's ever been outrighted.

I don't think it's a split contract. I think it was just 1yr for 1.2M if he makes the team but if he's cut before the season they pay him 300K. I'm assuming nobody else will sign him so he ends up in AAA mentoring Nottingham while being a depth piece in case Grandal/Pina are injured. Nottingham can fully develop then.

I can't see Pina on the move as a result of this signing - no way they want Kratz over him as the backup as that's a sizable downgrade. And after 2019 Grandal and Kratz are FA so if Pina is gone now that would leave just Nottingham heading into 2020. Plus, Grandal wasn't acquired because we needed an upgrade over Pina, who's been like a 95 OPS+ hitter and great defender. That's not the issue. The issue is the lack of offense of the Kratz/Bandy types or the solid offense from Vogt but brutal arm so guys steal bases walking. Pina covers both sides well and landing Grandal turned out to be the best thing as he upgrades an already productive player now making him one of the best backups in the game so we're deep at that spot now (including Kratz/Nottingham AAA).

Bingo - their catching depth chart at the MLB level is immensely better right now than it has been for a very long time. With a handful of solid C prospects also in the lower minors, it's a healthy spot in the organization, for sure.

Who knows? Maybe Grandal likes Milwaukee, likes being on a winning club, and decides to stick around.

I'd have said no way a year ago, but considering that Moose reportedly is looking at contract to stick around, who knows? I'd think the Brewers would have a lot of interest if the terms stay relatively short.

Moustakas needs a new agent. Someone with their pulse on the business should not be giving him such bad advice.

Logjams at all positions please. Keep adding depth everywhere.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Grandal’s spray chart overlayed at Miller Park (per this Tweet).

Dwhhqv7WkAA2sUA?format=jpg&name=small

Also a comparison between Yasmani Grandal and the Brewers catchers in 2018 (per this Tweet):

Grandal '18: 518 PA / 24 HR / .225 ISO / .352 wOBA / 125 wRC+ / 9.0 Def

Brewers C '18: 651 PA / 16 HR / .125 ISO / .286 wOBA / 75 wRC+ / 14.5 Def

Wow, that spray chart. I know you can't just count all the dots that would've been over the MP fence, but Grandal could have a chance to hit 30-35 HRs this season.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Anyone know how to look up player batting stats by stadium? The tweet linked in post #108 counts 43 career HR's for Grandal at Miller Park. I was curious how many AB's it took for him to get that.

That was a spray chart of every ball put in play by Grandal last season overlayed on Miller Park.

Anyone know how to look up player batting stats by stadium? The tweet linked in post #108 counts 43 career HR's for Grandal at Miller Park. I was curious how many AB's it took for him to get that.

Go to Baseball Reference under career splits and it is toward the bottom. Grandal has nowhere near 43 HRs at Miller Park. That chart was an overlay if he played all his games at Miller Park last year.

This signing puts the payroll around 123M. There's no way we would be paying him 13M annually for 4yrs so being able to land him for 1yr is a huge boost to this team. Switch hitter with most ABs coming from the left side, where all his power is, will serve well in Miller Park and something Stearns seems to look for. Pineapple now becomes one of the best backups in MLB and the C spot gives us 2 starters now becoming a strength.

I have the Brewers payroll around $104M if you assume they trade Anderson and Thames and you don't count any incentives, buyouts and deferred payments from prior years (Garza).

So that seems to me there is room for more pitcher or 2B salary. I would say they potentially wait and see more specifically where to spend the rest of their money at the trading deadline, but with Grandal on a one year deal, I assume there is going to be more move(s) coming before the season starts.

Also a comparison between Yasmani Grandal and the Brewers catchers in 2018 (per this Tweet):

Wow, that spray chart. I know you can't just count all the dots that would've been over the MP fence, but Grandal could have a chance to hit 30-35 HRs this season.

Right, many factors go into it, but I would venture to guess most of those over the line aren't HRs anyway. That is where they land. So they need to travel farther to actually get over the wall (not hit the wall).

Regardless I expect him to hit 30+, much like I expected Yelich to do the same coming here.

This signing puts the payroll around 123M. There's no way we would be paying him 13M annually for 4yrs so being able to land him for 1yr is a huge boost to this team. Switch hitter with most ABs coming from the left side, where all his power is, will serve well in Miller Park and something Stearns seems to look for. Pineapple now becomes one of the best backups in MLB and the C spot gives us 2 starters now becoming a strength.

I have the Brewers payroll around $104M if you assume they trade Anderson and Thames and you don't count any incentives, buyouts and deferred payments from prior years (Garza).

So that seems to me there is room for more pitcher or 2B salary. I would say they potentially wait and see more specifically where to spend the rest of their money at the trading deadline, but with Grandal on a one year deal, I assume there is going to be more move(s) coming before the season starts.

You can't assume literally any of those things. I wouldn't call any of those things greater than a 50/50 chance of happening. Payroll simply is what it is, until it changes. Right now, it's $123M. I run my own numbers with estimates and I have us right around $120M personally, but nowhere close to the $104M.

Right, many factors go into it, but I would venture to guess most of those over the line aren't HRs anyway. That is where they land. So they need to travel farther to actually get over the wall (not hit the wall).

Regardless I expect him to hit 30+, much like I expected Yelich to do the same coming here.

There are about 55 dots over the fence with 6 just over the fence. .270 40 HR 110 RBI nice

Is there any chance pina could be on the move with this signing?

The natural inclination is to think that Kratz is the odd man out, but we've seen how much they like him.

Pina has some potential trade value. If they really believe in Nottingham, I could see Pina getting dealt before the season, Kratz staying as backup and Nottingham as insurance in AAA. Grandal is going to get the lion's share of starts no matter who is the backup.

Frankly, this is why I wonder if they'll turn around and trade Pina. Backup catchers rarely PH anyways. I feel like Pina is wasted in the backup role, would be better to trade him now. Especially considering he will be 32 this year and is entering arbitration. If we were ever going to get value for him in a trade, now would be the time.

The MLBTR article on this signing said we're at 123M after Grandal so that's the number I went off of. That includes Chase, Thames and everyone else owed money this year.

Thames is guaranteed to be traded so that's 6M cleared off so down to 117M. They can go much higher no doubt for the right piece(s). I personally don't think Chase is going anywhere. If they add a rotation arm it's that person, Nelson, Chacin, Chase, Davies and if for some reason Nelson has issues we have Burnes in house with plenty of dudes to backfill his slot (T. Williams, Barnes, etc)

Is there any chance pina could be on the move with this signing?

The natural inclination is to think that Kratz is the odd man out, but we've seen how much they like him.

Pina has some potential trade value. If they really believe in Nottingham, I could see Pina getting dealt before the season, Kratz staying as backup and Nottingham as insurance in AAA. Grandal is going to get the lion's share of starts no matter who is the backup.

Frankly, this is why I wonder if they'll turn around and trade Pina. Backup catchers rarely PH anyways. I feel like Pina is wasted in the backup role, would be better to trade him now. Especially considering he will be 32 this year and is entering arbitration. If we were ever going to get value for him in a trade, now would be the time.

I am perfectly fine having Pina sitting on the bench for $1.5m. He is still a quality option for 2020 and 2021.

IMO Pina is an ideal backup C. The likelihood of one getting hurt is fairly high, and when Grandal needs a break Pina is very nice to have off the bench. That tandem is the sort of luxury you won't have long-term but one I absolutely love to have and would pay for in a "go for it" year.

Pina is a perfect backup catcher. He doesn't possess the stamina to catch enough games at the level needed to be a true starter. He should do awesome in his new role this season. The black hole should be lifted and gone.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

IMO Pina is an ideal backup C. The likelihood of one getting hurt is fairly high, and when Grandal needs a break Pina is very nice to have off the bench. That tandem is the sort of luxury you won't have long-term but one I absolutely love to have and would pay for in a "go for it" year.

Totally agree. And having a good backup like Pina allows flexibility assuming Thames is traded. If Jesus is more like 2nd half it would be good to rest him and take out some of his starts vs righties. So a game here or there at 1st by Grandal, one here or there by Shaw, etc. It's more easily done with Grandal if Pina is there doing well instead of Kratz. I'm not saying a ton or a fixed platoon, just here and there.

Wouldn’t have minded him for 2-3 years but this is incredible. I think it shows how broken the financial system is in MLB when the best player at an incredibly thin position has to settle for a 1 year deal, but I love that we signed him.

There have been numerous reports he turned down 4/55-60 from the Mets.

I don't know why people keep saying the system is broken. I imagine in time we'll find out what happened there. There are myriad reasons that he may have preferred this deal.

Wouldn’t have minded him for 2-3 years but this is incredible. I think it shows how broken the financial system is in MLB when the best player at an incredibly thin position has to settle for a 1 year deal, but I love that we signed him.

There have been numerous reports he turned down 4/55-60 from the Mets.

I don't know why people keep saying the system is broken. I imagine in time we'll find out what happened there. There are myriad reasons that he may have preferred this deal.

Right. Let's say Grandal has a good year and bangs 30+ HR with a solid OPS and ends the season healthy. None of those things are super unlikely on their own. He'll enter the 2019 offseason with no QO attached and in a much better position to get a big contract. All he'd have to do to beat the original 4/55 offer is get 3/36 or better. He of course could do much better than that. He's betting heavy on himself, it's definitely much easier to do that after you've made around $40 million for your career...including his $18 million this year.

Baseball’s revenues are growing at a huge pace and yet teams aren’t spending. That’s a big problem. The Cubs are saying they don’t have any money? Get out of here with that nonsense.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Archived