Brewer Fanatic

Yasmani Grandal signs with Brewers - 1 year, $16 million. Mutual option for 2020.

Eye Black

I’m sure players aren’t happy, but it seems that teams just simply don’t view large/long contracts as wise investments. Especially for smaller markets, they’re right. Something will probably need to change, but I don’t think it’s a conspiracy, just teams/GMs getting smarter and more efficient.

But don’t want to derail the topic - love the short deal for this team, and am anxiously awaiting who we are about to trade for Bumgarner.

I am not Shea Vucinich

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Find a competent 2B (or 3B if the plan is to use Shaw at 2B), and there is no obvious holes in this lineup. I fully expect news of a 2B acquisition in the coming days.

Lowrie makes so much sense. When Hiura is up, Lowrie can play 3rd against lefties and 2nd against tough righties. Versatility, etc , etc

Adding Lowrie would be another switch hitter that mashes right handed pitching. The lineup would be deadly against righties which is obviously the majority of starters they are going to face in the NL Central with the exception of the Cubs.

Yep. And Lowrie helps against the lefties too. If we could get him on a 2 year deal, now we're talking.

I also have a weakness for switch hitters. Especially in the NL.

Edit: I see he's much better against righties as you said. Still way better than Shaw vs lefties though.

Further edit: he was only better against lefties last year. For his career, good vs both, but better vs righties.

I don’t disagree with him, as the past two off-seasons have progressed it seems more likely than ever a work stoppage is going to occur in off-season before the 2022 season.

It's been a long time coming, and I tend to agree - the players' union is going to have to take a hard stance on reducing the years of team control/arbitration prior to free agency, and/or reducing the years of minor league control teams have on prospects (particularly collegiate-aged draftees). They've got to try and do something to get players to free agency during the first third of their prime years, rather than during the second half or in some cases beyond it depending on their position. Either that, or they have to be more willing to structure in more team-friendly opt-outs with buyout clauses in free agent contracts. MLB front offices are just not willing to crush their franchises for close to a decade by committing to those kind of crazy long guaranteed deals anymore, and you can't blame them.

There's a difference between not getting a $300 million contract, and a 30-year-old catcher with Grandal's pedigree having to settle for a one-year guarantee, which seems crazy.

Everyone involved with MLB (except the minor leaguers) is making an immoral amount of money, but the question is why the lion's share of that is going to the owners who do absolutely nothing to generate the revenue.

Yep. And Lowrie helps against the lefties too. If we could get him on a 2 year deal, now we're talking.

Edit: I see he's much better against righties as you said. Still way better than Shaw vs lefties though.

I love me some Marwin Gonzalez as well. Very little talk on him so far this offseason. He'd be a terrific bridge 2B, and would be another guy who could literally play anywhere if they need to get Hiura or Dubon in the lineup.

I love me some Marwin Gonzalez as well. Very little talk on him so far this offseason. He'd be a terrific bridge 2B, and would be another guy who could literally play anywhere if they need to get Hiura or Dubon in the lineup.

Yeah, that'd be great too. Uber-versatilty. His OBP is pretty.low for his career. That would concern me a little. And Stearns seems to value it appropriately.

I don’t disagree with him, as the past two off-seasons have progressed it seems more likely than ever a work stoppage is going to occur in off-season before the 2022 season.

It's been a long time coming, and I tend to agree - the players' union is going to have to take a hard stance on reducing the years of team control/arbitration prior to free agency, and/or reducing the years of minor league control teams have on prospects (particularly collegiate-aged draftees). They've got to try and do something to get players to free agency during the first third of their prime years, rather than during the second half or in some cases beyond it depending on their position. Either that, or they have to be more willing to structure in more team-friendly opt-outs with buyout clauses in free agent contracts. MLB front offices are just not willing to crush their franchises for close to a decade by committing to those kind of crazy long guaranteed deals anymore, and you can't blame them.

This would obviously fix things. And I think this should be done. But then there needs to be some concessions to small market teams like even more revenue sharing or a hard salary cap. If small market can't count on young controllable players teams like the Brewers are screwed.

Wow, what a time to be a Milwaukee sports fan.. The Bucks just beat down the Rockets on the road to regain the best record in the league and the Brewers signed one of the best catchers in baseball to further solidify their already potent lineup in preparation for another playoff run.

Wow. Hard not to love this for the Brewers...at catcher you're either looking at mediocrity or one of a very small number of studs and we just got one of the studs. Pina is not terrible, either, so catcher is suddenly a position of strength.

This deal also makes so much more sense for the Brewers than it would for many other teams...the draft pick we lose is relatively low value and the one year deal works for a team that just missed the World Series.

Now a second baseman please?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Very happy to have Grandal.

I think I would have liked to have gotten him for two years rather one -- but such is life. Perhaps the club feels that Nottingham will likely be ready by 2020 to take a regular job in the big leagues.

The one year deal really keeps the team financially flexible going forward.

I'd really like to add Jed Lowrie as well. But this will push our salary up past $120M. Who knows what are cap is for the year.

I still can't believe Grandal settled for a one year deal. I thought he would get 3 years and roughly $40-45M.

Wow, what a time to be a Milwaukee sports fan.. The Bucks just beat down the Rockets on the road to regain the best record in the league and the Brewers signed one of the best catchers in baseball to further solidify their already potent lineup in preparation for another playoff run.

Don't forget that the Packers just hired Ryan Reynolds to be their coach.

You just know that Stearns' super-computer has cranked out algorithm after algorithm that says the likelihood of Yelich hitting like steroid-era Barry Bonds in September is not exactly something you can count on year to year. They need to make up the offensive production from somewhere. This was one heckuva nice step in that direction...
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Don't forget that the Packers just hired Ryan Reynolds to be their coach.

lol

Yeah the move will get fluffed to no end but until we see it on the field he's a big question mark.

Intriguing, but i wouldn't call it a slam dunk.

Nice 1 year deal for the best FA catcher. Hopefully, Stearns didn't use up all his bubblegum in that wad.... An addition of Lowrie or Marwin Gonzalez would be a perfect next addition... Maybe Mark A realized we needed more talent to get to the World Series and is opening the bank-book...

This would obviously fix things.

There's nothing to fix. MLB, NFL, NHL, and NBA all have about 50% of revenues going to player salaries. Any posturing about the FA market is THAT, posturing. The Agents want more money. They aren't going to get it and there's a pretty good argument that they are just a bunch of ********. No need to change anything, just more pushback from MLB that they are being treated just as other sports treat their players.

The lineup looks really solid...

Cain ®

Yelich (L)

Braun ®

Shaw (L)

Aguilar ®

Grandal (S)

Second Base (TBD)

Arcia ®

Especially so if Arcia's September/postseason approach sticks and continues to improve.

If Arcia can just be a league average hitter to go with his great defense, we are in business. I have to believe it's a forgone conclusion that we will find a decent 2b at some point. TBH, I would love to just re sign Moose on a short term deal and move Shaw back to 2b. Moose was great with the glove and i just love his demeanor.

This would obviously fix things. And I think this should be done. But then there needs to be some concessions to small market teams like even more revenue sharing or a hard salary cap. If small market can't count on young controllable players teams like the Brewers are screwed.

I know this is going off topic but.... I agree, the player union will likely want to change some things but as far as professional athletics are concerned they might have the best labor agreement, maybe second to the NBA if you want to debate it. With regard to specifically Grandal, obviously the reports are that he turned down somewhere between 50-60 million dollars in guaranteed money. I really don't care what the owners are making; the discrepancy in income is the same in most other lines of business as well. I mean realistically, the majority of people going to their jobs won't be able to sign on for any sort of guaranteed employment over the next 3-4 years with a locked in salary not contingent on job performance.... Yes, the finances are very fantasy-like to most of us anyway but to say there's going to be a work stoppage based on a one-year 18 million dollar contract seems a bit contorted to me.

Anyway... Love the signing!!!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If people want to debate the future of the league's salary structure and so forth, I would suggest starting a topic. It would be a good discussion to have - and getting those thoughts in one spot - rather than scattering them around various threads - would be a nice thing to have.

Thanks.

Love the Grandal acquisition! What a luxury at one of the few positions we had a clear ability to upgrade.

2016-18 Catcher Offensive Rankings (750 PAs min, 33 players total):

HR: Grandal (2nd, 73), Pina (30th, 20)

fWAR: Grandal (3rd, 9.0), Pina (22nd, 3.3)

wRC+: Grandal (4th, 116), Pina (22nd, 91)

SLG: Grandal (4th, .467), Pina (18th, .409)

OPS: Grandal (5th, .799), Pina (21st, .729)

BB%: Grandal (5th, 12.1%), Pina (22nd, 6.6%)

wOBA: Grandal (6th, .342), Pina (20th, .314)

OBP: Grandal (12th, .332), Pina (18th, .320)

2016-18 Catcher Defensive Rankings (1500 innings caught min, 36 players total):

DRS: Grandal (1st, 39), Pina (9th, 19)

Pina would have been acceptable as the starter, but a Grandal/Pina combo is killer.

Archived