Brewer Fanatic

Yasmani Grandal signs with Brewers - 1 year, $16 million. Mutual option for 2020.

Eye Black

A reminder of Grandal's 2018 spray chart as if it were in Miller Park. How many outs turn into HR based on park alone? I bet Grandal would have 30-40 higher OPS had he been a Brewer last year than a Dodger, if he had an identical batted ball profile.

How much does Grandal help his cause in FA if he hits for 900 OPS and 35 dingers this year? I think a team would be crazy not to give him at least the 4/$60M deal he reportedly turned down.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Grandal will hit and hit a lot in Milwaukee. However, he will be a 31 year old FA catcher next year and I doubt he will command an $18 million salary. What I foresee happening is him being offered something in the 2 year $32 million range after this season, which could lead to a long term relationship if the Brewers make another run into the playoffs.

I could see Grandal following a similar trajectory as Victor Martinez. His bat will play at 1b/DH, so he could easily transition in his mid 30s when his catching skills diminish. Victor Martinez got 4/50 from 32-35 and then 4/64(which was a dumb contract off a career year) from 36-39. The 4/50 worked out well for the team and was signed in 2010. I'm thinking a good year nets him at least a 3 or 4 year deal, I will agree that it probably won't be at $18 million AAV...but 14-15 with a long term guarantee is realistic if he mashes here as expected.

I think Grandal will hit and hit a lot in Milwaukee. However, he will be a 31 year old FA catcher next year and I doubt he will command an $18 million salary. What I foresee happening is him being offered something in the 2 year $32 million range after this season, which could lead to a long term relationship if the Brewers make another run into the playoffs.

He has the mutual option if he decides he wants to give Milwaukee another go in 2020.

If the 2019 Crew does well, maybe he comes back for 2020. Two years of a .850-.900 OPS and 30-35 homers could have him get a nice deal as a 1B/C/DH for an AL team.

He has the mutual option if he decides he wants to give Milwaukee another go in 2020.

If the 2019 Crew does well, maybe he comes back for 2020. Two years of a .850-.900 OPS and 30-35 homers could have him get a nice deal as a 1B/C/DH for an AL team.

Mutual option isn't going to be exercised, no way. If Grandal does well he'll want to cash in, with no QO hanging over him and no lingering memories of his NLCS performance. He could stay with the Brewers, but if he does it'll be on a new deal.

Archived