Brewer Fanatic

2019 Misc MLB News

TURBO
So found this on ESPN's MLB home page.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26034573/mlb-putting-new-rules-place-curtail-sign-stealing

Going to some extremes to curtail sign stealing aside from the typical on 2b stealing.

Does that mean the Tv's in the concourse will be on a 8 second delay? That's lame if that's true.

I was concerned with that too, but it says Clubhouse/bullpen. So I'd have to think no?

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the fact that the Dodgers had no interest in signing Machado following their 2018 season was telling. They had an opportunity to bring him in on a trade for a few months and got real idea of what having Manny Machado as a part of their organization truly offered. Of course we fans are on the outside looking in, but I never got the impression that he was a part of the team or was fully accepted by the team. Organizations can talk with people and players around the league to learn more about a player, but having him on your own teams bench is the ultimate test. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking, but after seeing Machado’s interactions in the postseason a part of me thinks it may have cost him some money or the chance to be with a team he truly wanted to be with. Of course it doesn’t change the fact that $300 million is an insane amount of money, but I don’t think he landed with a team he whole heartedly wanted to be a part of.

Of course I may be a bit bias as a Brewers fan and Manny solidifying himself as a dirty player in the postseason, but even before the playoffs and his altercations with Brewer players, I was suspect of who he is as a teammate.

Living in Los Angeles and being friends with a significant amount of Dodger fans...I would say your assessment is correct. Listening to sports radio and discussing with Dodger fans, it seemed like Machado was a hired gun and never really was embraced by the team or fan base. In regard to the fan base, he turned off a lot of people with the Johnny Hustle comment and the Aguilar kick.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/foul-balls-are-the-pace-of-play-problem-nobodys-talking-about/?addata=espn:mlb:index

I thought this was very interesting, and is often an overlooked aspect of the Pace of Play debate...the combination of pitching getting more difficult to hit and the shrinking size of MLB foul territories have led to significant increases of foul balls that don't result in outs. When coupled with the concerns of fan safety in recent years, one would think MLB should be open to expanding foul ground in ballparks, particularly down the lines. In most stadiums, foul ground is negligible down the lines, and there are easily 5-6 foul fly balls/pop ups hit on average each game that wind up landing in the first 3-4 rows of the stands instead of being caught as outs in the field of play. I'd think that each one of those instances adds 2 minutes to the time of a game, not to mention the added time any foul ball adds to an at bat regardless of its outcome.

Anyone know of a good resource to search average 9 inning game times by stadium by year? I think it would be interesting to gauge that compared to foul ground territory, and see if there's a correlation between the two that is independent of other park factors/home team roster talent level.

I think the fact that the Dodgers had no interest in signing Machado following their 2018 season was telling. They had an opportunity to bring him in on a trade for a few months and got real idea of what having Manny Machado as a part of their organization truly offered. Of course we fans are on the outside looking in, but I never got the impression that he was a part of the team or was fully accepted by the team. Organizations can talk with people and players around the league to learn more about a player, but having him on your own teams bench is the ultimate test. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking, but after seeing Machado’s interactions in the postseason a part of me thinks it may have cost him some money or the chance to be with a team he truly wanted to be with. Of course it doesn’t change the fact that $300 million is an insane amount of money, but I don’t think he landed with a team he whole heartedly wanted to be a part of.

Of course I may be a bit bias as a Brewers fan and Manny solidifying himself as a dirty player in the postseason, but even before the playoffs and his altercations with Brewer players, I was suspect of who he is as a teammate.

The Dodgers are set at SS and 3B for the next few years. I would say that is probably the #1 reason they weren't going to blow $300M on anyone who plays those positions.

The Dodgers are set at SS and 3B for the next few years. I would say that is probably the #1 reason they weren't going to blow $300M on anyone who plays those positions.

+1. Not only that, they have elite performers at both positions. It's not like they aren't signing him because they have Jordy Mercer holding down SS.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Boston sports writer Nick Cafardo died at age 62 today.

I always thought Cafardo was a pretty decent writer. While he obviously was a Boston guy, he didn't always wear him home-team goggles, so I appreciated reading his stuff.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26048827/nick-cafardo-long-boston-globe-baseball-writer-dies-62

Bob Nightengale

@BNightengale

Colorado #Rockies offer Nolan Arenado a record-breaking contract for average annual salary.

Nolan Arenado has been offered an extension of 7 years and 245 million.

I saw this too, there's also potential for an 8th year vesting option from what I saw. That seems like a very good deal for Arenado, I know it only takes him through age 34(35 if vesting option)...but tough to turn down that money. That AAV is insane. If that offer is real, I can't imagine an agreement not being reached by opening day(or much sooner).

+1. Not only that, they have elite performers at both positions. It's not like they aren't signing him because they have Jordy Mercer holding down SS.

While true, they could put Turner at 2B and have Taylor go to super utility again and wait for injuries to happen. Or play Taylor in CF and not sign Pollack. Which is also where it comes back to the whole money/contract issue we've discussed so much here. Sign Pollock at around 1/6 or 1/7 the financial commitment or be locked into a massive 10 year deal for MM or Harper?

Career numbers:

Pollack: 281/338/805

MM: 282/335/822

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Because the Mets are the Mets and stupid stuff like this only happens to the Mets.

Because the Mets are the Mets and stupid stuff like this only happens to the Mets.

The Brewer's clubhouse salad tongs would disagree with that.

I find this incredibly interesting if true. I'm not sure any organization can "force" a pitcher to do anything. He's established enough that he should go with his own game plan based on his strengths, not necessarily what the Yankees want. I'll add that's generally awful management by the yankees to apply a one size fits all approach to pitching. You want to have every player on your club playing to their strenghs, not a specific blueprint that every player has to follow.

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1103014929425158144

Gray's Slider% the last 5 years

2014 - 10.9

2015 - 16.7

2016 - 11.2

2017 - 14.2 (A's)

2017 - 18.2 (Yankees)

2018 - 15.9

His Slider Runs Above Average/100

2014 - 2.32

2015 - 1.85

2016 - -1.09

2017 - 1.02 (A's)

2017 - 2.29 (Yankees)

2018 - -.2

Looks like it's been a real up and down pitch for him. His percentage thrown with the A's were all over the place and they definitely went up when he went to the Yankees. It also looks like it was rather effective in 2017 but was really bad last year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

2014 - 10.9

2015 - 16.7

2016 - 11.2

2017 - 14.2 (A's)

2017 - 18.2 (Yankees)

2018 - 15.9

2014 - 2.32

2015 - 1.85

2016 - -1.09

2017 - 1.02 (A's)

2017 - 2.29 (Yankees)

2018 - -.2

Looks like it's been a real up and down pitch for him. His percentage thrown with the A's were all over the place and they definitely went up when he went to the Yankees. It also looks like it was rather effective in 2017 but was really bad last year.

He's been pretty erratic his whole career. I hope for the Brewers' sake he skews bad again.

2014 - 10.9

2015 - 16.7

2016 - 11.2

2017 - 14.2 (A's)

2017 - 18.2 (Yankees)

2018 - 15.9

2014 - 2.32

2015 - 1.85

2016 - -1.09

2017 - 1.02 (A's)

2017 - 2.29 (Yankees)

2018 - -.2

I never really dug into the numbers like you did. It doesn't seem overly bad last year. I'm honestly a lot more surprised by a team being like "well you have to throw your slider more". Recommending is so much different than telling or forcing a player to do something.

I find this more interesting than usual because he's a big name prospect, and because of how strongly his teammate(Verlander) calls out cheaters.

Makes sense for him to try using something since he's currently rehabbing from TJ and the suspension will actually cost him zero games. As for Verlander, something about rocks and glass houses.

I suppose that is a risk one can take. On the other hand, for a minor leaguer without any major league experience, that doesn't leave him with a whole lot of income. Take a steriod to hopefully heal faster knowing that if suspended won't be affected game wise. Personally I wouldn't take that risk but then again I'm not a few years away from being potentially offered millions of dollars in my career.

Archived