Brewer Fanatic

2019 Misc MLB News

TURBO
Alicdes Escobar signed a minor league deal with the Orioles. First off, he's 32. Where did that time go? Second of all, he's been possibly the worst hitter in baseball during his career, yet, Yost gave him over 600 PA's almost every year and hit him first or second the majority of the time. I'm not sure what more mind boggling - how bad of a hitter he is/was or how stupid Yost is/was.

Yost would like you to kiss his ring.

bah....they won that world series in spite of Ned Yost, not because of him.

What a joke of a manager he was with Milwaukee. I was sooooooooo happy when they finally cut him loose.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alicdes Escobar signed a minor league deal with the Orioles. First off, he's 32. Where did that time go? Second of all, he's been possibly the worst hitter in baseball during his career, yet, Yost gave him over 600 PA's almost every year and hit him first or second the majority of the time. I'm not sure what more mind boggling - how bad of a hitter he is/was or how stupid Yost is/was.

Yost would like you to kiss his ring.

bah....they won that world series in spite of Ned Yost, not because of him.

What a joke of a manager he was with Milwaukee. I was sooooooooo happy when they finally cut him loose.

KC is arguably one of the worst teams to ever win a WS. And they happened to make it to the series back to back years. Sometimes even if you dislike something or someone you just tip the cap.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

KC is arguably one of the worst teams to ever win a WS. And they happened to make it to the series back to back years. Sometimes even if you dislike something or someone you just tip the cap.

They are certainly in the running with the weakest of the SFG teams in recent years where only 1 of the 3 teams were actually good who won it. Alos that one really terrible Cardinals team who lucked into it after like 83 wins in the regular season.

Alcides got 2,097 career PAs battng 1/2 & 3,478 PAs batting 7/8/9.

He really only hit leadoff regularly in 2015 (131 games) & 2016 (82 games).

I guess you could argue he should have gotten zero PAs batting 1/2, but at the end of the day Yost put him at the bottom of the order where he belonged more often than he put him at the top.

I'm still amazed that people hated Yost. From insiders, I always heard Maddux had pretty much complete control over the pitching staff. Yost ardently defended his players at all times. He was a great manager at helping develop young prospects, showing them the confidence they needed.

Yost was a terrible in-game manager who made decisions with his gut and was usually wrong. I don't think many would argue that he was a good players coach, but his in-game decision-making was often, and almost always baffling to the point of head-scratching.

Perhaps, but in 2003, Ned Yost was what the Brewers needed after that dumpster fire of 2002. The attitude and the enthusiasm for the Brewers was a huge boost. There were downgrades in talent (seriously. NOT re-signing Jose Hernandez and signing Royce Clayton?), but he managed a double-digit improvement in wins from the previous year. His replacement with Roenicke was arguably a downgrade.

Yost was a terrible in-game manager who made decisions with his gut and was usually wrong. I don't think many would argue that he was a good players coach, but his in-game decision-making was often, and almost always baffling to the point of head-scratching.

Perhaps, but in 2003, Ned Yost was what the Brewers needed after that dumpster fire of 2002. The attitude and the enthusiasm for the Brewers was a huge boost. There were downgrades in talent (seriously. NOT re-signing Jose Hernandez and signing Royce Clayton?), but he managed a double-digit improvement in wins from the previous year. His replacement with Roenicke was arguably a downgrade.

Well your forgetting Macha in between there. You talk about 03 with Yost being exactly what that team needed. That's how I feel with RRR in 2011. I still think RRR should be a manager somewhere

almost every time people on brewer fan were bashing Yost/Maddux for bringing in certain relievers and not others, we'd find out in post-game pressers that the preferred option was unavailable due to workload. I loved the Yost/Maddux concept of "if you get a pitcher up, you might as well get them in the game" as they tracked bullpen pitches among a players workload, not just game pitches.

Well your forgetting Macha in between there. You talk about 03 with Yost being exactly what that team needed. That's how I feel with RRR in 2011. I still think RRR should be a manager somewhere

I liked RRR as well. He and Yost had a great honesty/authenticity about them. Ken Macha was a train-wreck. I thought he'd bring an analytics approach, but his last year was the only time I've ever given up on a Brewers team since I became a fan around 1992. That 2010 was no fun to watch beginning in mid-May.

I liked RRR as well. He and Yost had a great honesty/authenticity about them. Ken Macha was a train-wreck. I thought he'd bring an analytics approach, but his last year was the only time I've ever given up on a Brewers team since I became a fan around 1992. That 2010 was no fun to watch beginning in mid-May.

Macha was forgettable, but I wonder if Yost had stuck around, whether or not the Crew could have been a bit better over those years. Counsell strikes me as someone who could be around for the long haul.

RRR and Nedley were nightmares.

We can go round and round on this all day long, but I celebrated the day they were let go...

No disagreements by the end of RRR's tenure. But in 2011 I thought he did a great job.

The fact that he gave Shawn Marcum 3 playoff starts was horrendous and season ending for us. That would have been like giving Chase Anderson 3 playoff starts this season. Instead we left him off the playoff roster completely, which was the obvious move for Marcum in 2011.

We can go round and round on this all day long, but I celebrated the day they were let go...

No disagreements by the end of RRR's tenure. But in 2011 I thought he did a great job.

The fact that he gave Shawn Marcum 3 playoff starts was horrendous and season ending for us. That would have been like giving Chase Anderson 3 playoff starts this season. Instead we left him off the playoff roster completely, which was the obvious move for Marcum in 2011.

I agree with the comparison, but I seem to recall not having many options left available to us during the playoffs.

Also I just found out that Grandal had a higher WAR that Harper last year

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yost's issue was that he assigned innings to pitchers rather than situations. He would never bring the 8th inning guy in with two outs and two on in the 7th because...well because it was the wrong inning of course.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

During the playoffs I agree. But as someone above posted it's not like he had a bunch of options to turn to. But he was also the manager for our winningest regular season team ever. He couldn't have been too bad

Yost proved himself with a small market team. No other Brewer manager can say that. All managers are flawed, just like all players. We rode Yost outta town and people, especially the media were delighted. The egg is on our faces, not Yost’s. We were wrong, not Yost. How many times have impatient teams let go players only for them to turn into winners ala Ortiz. Same for managers. Best just to admit it and move forward. Until we actually win something...we’ll, it just sounds like...well, you know, nuff said.

Yost's issue was that he assigned innings to pitchers rather than situations. He would never bring the 8th inning guy in with two outs and two on in the 7th because...well because it was the wrong inning of course.

This issue seemed like almost a daily occurence under Yost's tenure. So often a SP would go 6 decent innings and melt down in the 7th. Maybe I have a selective memory about this.

Yost proved himself with a small market team. No other Brewer manager can say that. All managers are flawed, just like all players. We rode Yost outta town and people, especially the media were delighted. The egg is on our faces, not Yost’s. We were wrong, not Yost. How many times have impatient teams let go players only for them to turn into winners ala Ortiz. Same for managers. Best just to admit it and move forward. Until we actually win something...we’ll, it just sounds like...well, you know, nuff said.

Ned's winning% with the Brewers was .477, it's .483 with the Royals. Basically the same. I understand he won a world series and a division in KC, neither of which he did in Milwaukee, but he was gifted with by far the best bullpen and most complete teams in baseball those years. Outside of those two KC teams, he's only been over .500 once. He's pretty much the same guy he was in Milwaukee.

I think the fact that the Dodgers had no interest in signing Machado following their 2018 season was telling. They had an opportunity to bring him in on a trade for a few months and got real idea of what having Manny Machado as a part of their organization truly offered. Of course we fans are on the outside looking in, but I never got the impression that he was a part of the team or was fully accepted by the team. Organizations can talk with people and players around the league to learn more about a player, but having him on your own teams bench is the ultimate test. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking, but after seeing Machado’s interactions in the postseason a part of me thinks it may have cost him some money or the chance to be with a team he truly wanted to be with. Of course it doesn’t change the fact that $300 million is an insane amount of money, but I don’t think he landed with a team he whole heartedly wanted to be a part of.

Of course I may be a bit bias as a Brewers fan and Manny solidifying himself as a dirty player in the postseason, but even before the playoffs and his altercations with Brewer players, I was suspect of who he is as a teammate.

I like the updated sign stealing rules. These are the kind of rule changes I like as they don't impact the way the game has been played for so long, but has a chance to cut down on some of the peripheral crap we have to listen too.

Really wish MLB would have taken this off-season to better define what pitchers can use and can't use to get a better grip on the baseball. Pine tar OK or not OK? I don't care one way or another and I'd bet most MLB fans feel that way. But I have a problem with the rules stating one thing but everybody looking the other way because they want their own guys to be able to do it. If everyone wants to do it, then change the rule. Don't need a whole bunch of stuff popping up in June about this pitcher using pine tar and this other pitcher not using pine tar. IMO, this is something that has a chance to develop into a big story and I think MLB is kind of foolish for not addressing it now.

Archived