Brewer Fanatic

2019 Misc MLB News

TURBO
Villar apparently not valued that highly around baseball

Villar at $10 million isn’t a good deal. Take it down a few million and you have something.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Villar at $10 million isn’t a good deal. Take it down a few million and you have something.

$10 million is a good deal if he's a legit 4 WAR player. The fact that other teams didn't want him indicates that they don't believe that to be a true measure of his production going forward.

$10 million is a good deal if he's a legit 4 WAR player. The fact that other teams didn't want him indicates that they don't believe that to be a true measure of his production going forward.

He’s probably more in the 2.5-3 range in a normal quality season for him. 4 is probably peak.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Also posted this in our 2020 MLB Draft thread, but some fun news regarding this year’s draft location.

From Craig Mish...

I’ve learned MLB is moving the First-Year Amateur Baseball Draft in June to Omaha, Nebraska. Omaha is also home to the College World Series.

And from Kendall Rogers...

BREAKING: The 2020 MLB Draft is moving from New Jersey to Omaha. The draft will be held Wednesday, June 10 through Friday, June 12, the eve of the NCAA College World Series.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I'm just throwing this out there for fun, but this is what the Cubs current lineup *could* be if they had not traded away any of their homegrown talent the last 5 years.

1) Bryant

2) Rizzo

3) Baez

4) Contreras

5) Torres

6) Soler

7) Schwarber

8) Jimenez

Without getting too much into whether going for it all was worth it for them or not, is there a better lineup than this in recent history?

I'm just throwing this out there for fun, but this is what the Cubs current lineup *could* be if they had not traded away any of their homegrown talent the last 5 years.

1) Bryant

2) Rizzo

3) Baez

4) Contreras

5) Torres

6) Soler

7) Schwarber

8) Jimenez

Without getting too much into whether going for it all was worth it for them or not, is there a better lineup than this in recent history?

If you're doing that, Rizzo was acquired right? not home grown

1) Bryant

2) Rizzo

3) Baez

4) Contreras

5) Torres

6) Soler

7) Schwarber

8) Jimenez

If you're doing that, Rizzo was acquired right? not home grown

I didn't say anything about being entirely homegrown. I posted what the Cubs lineup could be now if they hadn't traded away any of their homegrown talent away the last few years.

Dan Szymborski has been wrapping up his 2019 Team Elegy series over at FanGraphs & today is the Cardinals piece which indicates that since the 2008 season, the Brewers have been the 6th most above averagest team in all of MLB.

Print the banners now.

If you're interested in reading more about a division rival, or perusing how the entire league stacks up in terms of consistent above averageness since 2008, you can do so here...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-cardinals-are-baseballs-above-averagest-team/

Just some random thing I happened to see. Brewers had the 5th best record in the NL the past decade. If the baseball season were 1620 games long we would have made the Wild Card game. The Cubs, Giants and Mets would not make the playoffs.

1) Bryant

2) Rizzo

3) Baez

4) Contreras

5) Torres

6) Soler

7) Schwarber

8) Jimenez

Last year Houston, NYY, Twins and Dodgers all beat that. The year before the Yankees, Red Sox and maybe the Dodgers and A's beat it. That lineup is good but still has tons of flaws.

Archived