Brewer Fanatic

2019 Misc MLB News

TURBO

Shi Davidi of Sportsnet reports that the Blue Jays have "at minimum, discussed Mike Moustakas internally."

Toronto already has Vladimir Guerrero Jr. at third base, but Moustakas showed this past season that he can play a competent second base and he has been used a little at first base, as well. The 31-year-old batted .254/.329/.516 with 35 home runs and 87 RBI for the Brewers in 2019.

Related: Toronto Blue Jays

Source: Sportsnet

Nov 13, 2019, 11:32 AM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brewers were stealing signs? Gosh I hope not because if true most of the team is much worse at hitting than previously thought.

As for the whole issue, whatever. It's illegal the way they are doing it and I get that but I just don't care. I can guarantee every team is either doing it or trying to figure out a way to do it without getting caught.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/02/20/mlb-to-crack-down-on-sign-stealing/

Here's a link to more information on the measures in place to prevent sign stealing for the 2019 season. The league official referred to has access to everything clubhouse/dugout and would report major violations in real time. Something as simple as being on a personal cell phone was a violation and would get reported, which went for everyone in the dugout/clubhouse area including players, managers, and video personnel. I highly highly doubt any sign stealing happened in 2019 using electronic means...nothing like the 2017 allegations. I find it interesting this is coming out now regarding 2017...considering at this point cheating via electronics is very difficult if not impossible.

For what it is worth the Red Sox did this exact thing in 2017 themselves. They were simply fined for the occurrence in the Aug/Sept range of that year. Manfred said there would be more serious penalties in the future. Considering this Astros incident(s) happened in 2017 also I would venture to guess a slap on the wrist is incoming.

According to Beltran he denied any knowledge of the electronic stealing scheme, but had this to say,

"The game of baseball for years, guys have given location and if the catchers get lazy and the pitcher doesn't cover the signs from second base [then] of course players are going to take advantage. I don't call that cheating. I call that using small details to take advantage. I think baseball is doing a great job adding new technology to make sure the game is even for both teams. It's easy to blame someone when they win."

Sure seems like he knew about it from that quote.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mets-manager-carlos-beltran-denies-astros-stole-signs-electronically-in-2017/

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
FYI - I moved the Darvish/Yelich stuff to its own thread.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Newest tidbit in the Astros saga is players wearing buzzers to get info. Now this is a bit more speculative by other MLB Execs...but interesting none the less.

Ugly regardless. Seems they had a guy in the dugout tunnel watching a screen even in the WS where a few Astros hitters had crazy home/road splits. I believe this is why they were speculating maybe something on the players body as there are so many mics in the postseason it would be blatantly obvious to start banging a trash can. Personally if some of this came to be true, especially in the postseason or WS, I wish they would drop the hammer on them and take the title away. Of course that is wishful thinking as the Red Sox got a slap on the wrist in the same year and they probably weren't the only ones.

Just has no place in baseball...arguably worse for the game than players getting caught for PEDs.

Anyone else remember years ago, back in the days of County Stadium and Bernie's Chalet, when the Brewers were accused of stealing signs. Apparently Bernie had binoculars and white gloves and used them to relay signs. I believe the gloves and binoculars were actually found.

Also, I had the opportunity to attend a game in a skybox this year. Spent most of the time inside eating, drinking. visiting, etc. Anyway the tv's were on about a 10 second delay. I was told that it was a league mandate to prevent sign stealing, so the league knew it was going on in some stadiums at some point in the past and had taken steps to address the issue. Apparently more steps need be taken.

The Phillies just hired Crazy Joe Dillon as there hitting coach.

https://www.thegoodphight.com/2019/11/21/20976408/phillies-hire-joe-dillon-as-hitting-coach

I can't even. What a November day for Brewerfan.net

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Tip of the cap where it is due..

Interesting pick-up by the Reds before the roster deadline

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/reds-acquire-jose-de-leon.html

IF De Leon is healthy, having DJ as coach to help him would be a very good match.. For 2020 along with 21, 22, & 2023..

That seems weird, why would they give him up for what appears to be nothing? 3.5 era in AAA last year is certainly nothing to sneeze at.

Tip of the cap where it is due..

Interesting pick-up by the Reds before the roster deadline

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/reds-acquire-jose-de-leon.html

IF De Leon is healthy, having DJ as coach to help him would be a very good match.. For 2020 along with 21, 22, & 2023..

That seems weird, why would they give him up for what appears to be nothing? 3.5 era in AAA last year is certainly nothing to sneeze at.

The Rays had a massive roster crunch trying to get to its 40 man limit...

The White Sox announced that they’ve agreed to a three-year, $50MM contract with first baseman Jose Abreu. The 32-year-old slugger had previously accepted a one-year, $17.8MM qualifying offer, effectively making this a two-year, $32.2MM extension.

Under the new contract, Abreu will receive a $5MM signing bonus and an $11MM salary in 2020 before being paid $16MM in 2021 and $18MM in 2022. Four million dollars of that 2022 salary will be deferred, according to the team.

Yikes!

The White Sox announced that they’ve agreed to a three-year, $50MM contract with first baseman Jose Abreu. The 32-year-old slugger had previously accepted a one-year, $17.8MM qualifying offer, effectively making this a two-year, $32.2MM extension.

Under the new contract, Abreu will receive a $5MM signing bonus and an $11MM salary in 2020 before being paid $16MM in 2021 and $18MM in 2022. Four million dollars of that 2022 salary will be deferred, according to the team.

Yikes!

Say what you want about being financially efficient, but the White Sox are throwing their money around. That is a ton of money invested in a couple older free agents over the last couple days, though. High, high risk.

Yikes!

Say what you want about being financially efficient, but the White Sox are throwing their money around. That is a ton of money invested in a couple older free agents over the last couple days, though. High, high risk.

Jose Abreu isn't even that good either. I am still trying to figure out how he won a Silver Slugger in 2018.

Yikes!

Jose Abreu isn't even that good either. I am still trying to figure out how he won a Silver Slugger in 2018.

Abreu had an outstanding year. 2019: .284/.330 - 33 HRs -123 RBIs.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

In the context of today's game (more HRs, more runs scored, more chances to drive in runs, etc.), Abreu had a good - not outstanding season. His HR total is impressive, but 30 guys hit more. Again, that's not to downplay 33 HR. It's still very good. But the lively baseball is padding those numbers compared to a few years ago.

21 teams got 34 or more HRs out of 1B last year and 17 teams got OBPs of .330 or more. This is a horrible deal, it’s not that hard to find Abreu’s production at 1B. Especially when the guy is 33/34 already.

Archived