Brewer Fanatic

2019 Misc MLB News

TURBO
  • Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Astros recalled RHP Cy Sneed from Triple-A Round Rock.

Sneed will return to the Astros' bullpen ahead of Wednesday's matinee game against the White Sox. He has posted a 3.75 ERA and 12/3 K/BB ratio in 12 innings of relief this season at the major league level.

Aug 14, 2019, 11:14 AM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

This day in 2012 Felix Hernandez tossed the last perfect game in history. This is notable because three balls total were hit to RF and the first play of the game was a fairly tough out for the RF to get.

Eric Thames everyone. A pitcher managed a perfect game with Eric Thames playing RF.

Jesus Aguilar got tossed for the first time in his career. Knowing Aguilar, I figured this was an ump being stupid as he's not the type to argue and get tossed. But I rewound on mlb.tv and watched, he slammed his bat on a called 3rd strike and started talking to the ump. He seemed calm enough in talking, but he's such a big and intimidating dude...coupled with slamming his bat, I'm not surprised by it. I generally disagree with tossing guys out of games in almost all cases, but considering what is standard practice...his actions are an ejection almost all the time.

Jesus Aguilar got tossed for the first time in his career. Knowing Aguilar, I figured this was an ump being stupid as he's not the type to argue and get tossed. But I rewound on mlb.tv and watched, he slammed his bat on a called 3rd strike and started talking to the ump. He seemed calm enough in talking, but he's such a big and intimidating dude...coupled with slamming his bat, I'm not surprised by it. I generally disagree with tossing guys out of games in almost all cases, but considering what is standard practice...his actions are an ejection almost all the time.

My memory tells me Aguilar seemed to have some sort of discussion with the ump pretty much anytime he struck out looking. Not arguing but some sort of "that's not a strike" conversation. I'm quite surprised that was actually his first ejection because he seemed to complain a lot.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Apparently Astros security blocked a specific reporter from the clubhouse during Justin Verlander's post game interview. Very interesting argument here.

Technically I don't think the Astros can do that. Verlander can choose not to answer the guy's questions but Astros can't block him from entering the room.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Apparently Astros security blocked a specific reporter from the clubhouse during Justin Verlander's post game interview. Very interesting argument here.

Technically I don't think the Astros can do that. Verlander can choose not to answer the guy's questions but Astros can't block him from entering the room.

I checked out the guys twitter and he has trolled Verlander pretty hard for a while. Just idiot stuff. Even so...just ignore or dont answer his questions.

I checked out the guys twitter and he has trolled Verlander pretty hard for a while. Just idiot stuff. Even so...just ignore or dont answer his questions.

You're right, the troll keeps putting out stuff that is partly true and adding a ridiculous spin to the story. Verlander refused to answer the questions of a Detroit Free Press reporter because of what Verlander calls unethical reporting the guy did.

From what I gather, according to the rules he should be allowed in there...but i personally think this was the correct and best possible result. JV made an effort to try and let that press company know he didn't want that guy there and to have someone else show up. Naturally, they ignored his request and ignored JV's side of the story in the article. Clearly this media guy is simply a jerk, I don't blame JV at all for not letting him in. It's a one off situation, he doesn't face Detroit that often. And a fine is probably whatever to JV considering his salary. So yes JV and the Astros were wrong to not let him in according to the rules...but really they did the right thing...in my opinion anyway.

From what I gather, according to the rules he should be allowed in there...but i personally think this was the correct and best possible result. JV made an effort to try and let that press company know he didn't want that guy there and to have someone else show up. Naturally, they ignored his request and ignored JV's side of the story in the article. Clearly this media guy is simply a jerk, I don't blame JV at all for not letting him in. It's a one off situation, he doesn't face Detroit that often. And a fine is probably whatever to JV considering his salary. So yes JV and the Astros were wrong to not let him in according to the rules...but really they did the right thing...in my opinion anyway.

His "effort" was having his agent call once on Wednesday around noon and leaving a voicemail. How is the Detroit paper supposed to send another reporter to an away game 8 hours before it starts? Then the agent called again on Thursday...which was the day after the whole episode.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Apparently, the Astros have a long history of this kind of thing:

https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-offense-falls-short-against-dodgers

Muncy added some spice to the proceedings by acknowledging that while Gardner's slide had shaken him up, there was also a fair amount of what he called "a little soccer in there." Muncy believed that if he sold the play, the umpires would halt Torres and send him back to third base, which is exactly what happened.

"If I'm acting like I was hurt, they have to stop the play," Muncy said. "It's more just hoping they call it. If I get up and act like I'm not hurt, [Torres is] safe at home plate. One of those things. He still got me good, it still hurt, so it wasn't entirely fake, but there might have been a little acting class in there."

Muncy admitted to faking an injury to stop a run from scoring. Doing it is one thing. Admitting to it right after the game is another. I don't think you can or should suspend a guy for that but it's not a great look.

I didnt see a replay and the article didnt answer it clearly enough for me, but did Torres never stop, or break for home when he saw muncy go to the ground or when he started pretending hes a soccer player?
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

I didnt see a replay and the article didnt answer it clearly enough for me, but did Torres never stop, or break for home when he saw muncy go to the ground or when he started pretending hes a soccer player?

Looks like he was rounding 3rd and went when he was laying on the ground. I don't think it was ever shown if completely stopped. However, the home plate ump very clearly was calling time well before he scored. By high school rules, yes, an ump can stop play with runners in motion if there is an injury he deems worth stopping for. However, I'm 99% sure that's not how MLB works.

Like so many things in baseball, you can be upset at Muncy for faking all you want, but the umpires let it happen. Really, it's on them. To me, it's the same as when a batter calls time as the pitcher starts his motion. He can call time all he wants, but it's up to the ump to give it to him and almost all the time they do. Then everyone gets mad at the batter when really the ump is who you should be mad at.

Keon Broxton has been suspended two games for throwing equipment and making contact with umpire Manny Gonzalez on Monday night against the Yankees.

Broxton has appealed the suspension and will be available to the Mariners until that appeal is heard. The 29-year-old outfielder has struggled to a .173/.241/.286 batting line in 217 plate appearances this season between the Mets, Orioles, and M's.

SOURCE: Mark Feinsand on Twitter

Aug 27, 2019, 4:38 PM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I was just perusing some stats today and the Dodgers lead all of baseball in sacrifice bunts. And by a bit. Also up there are the Rockies and Nationals. All 3 teams are also in the top 10 in the league in runs scored per game. That's not meant to be any sort of promotion of bunting on my part but I just found it interesting.

I was just perusing some stats today and the Dodgers lead all of baseball in sacrifice bunts. And by a bit. Also up there are the Rockies and Nationals. All 3 teams are also in the top 10 in the league in runs scored per game. That's not meant to be any sort of promotion of bunting on my part but I just found it interesting.

The bunt is alive and well!

While bunting gets a bad name in the game today, it still is plenty useful. Wish the Brewers did it a bit more in certain situations.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

2 of the Dodgers sac bunts are from non-pitchers. I think they just get a ton of guys on base when their pitchers are batting and their pitchers are really good at bunting.

Verlander still complaining about the new baseballs?

Archived