Brewer Fanatic

2019 Misc MLB News

TURBO
Next August the White Sox and Yankees are playing a regular season game at the Field of Dreams site in Dyersville, IA. Apparently fans will walk through the cornfield to get to their seats in a temporary 8,000 seat stadium that will also pay homage to old Comiskey Park.

I'm not sure what to think about this. My initial reaction was that it is ridiculous and cheesy. Then I thought about actually going to the game and thought it would be pretty cool.

https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-white-sox-game-at-field-of-dream-site

It's cheesy and cool.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, someone doesn’t agree with your stance so it’s overreacting. :laughing Always love that take.

Sorry for giving my opinion on a message board. Thanks for your input, very valuable to the discussion.

Can’t have it both ways guy. Telling someone their overreacting is not a great way to respond. Having a differing opinion is one thing. But I’m pretty sure you know this and will play the victim here. You’re good at it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Thank you ofr being the police of the board. We definitely need someone turning rela discussions into discussion on the manner in which one posts.

It is my opinion that calling someone a tool or jerk as has been said and implied here over the years on him after playing his heart out here and sacrificing his body is an overreaction to his comments about wanting to go to a winning team. In my opinion him being honest like that and saying something we don't like shouldn't outweigh everything else he did and that he really never had anything else negative in his time. That is my opinion on a message board. That's what this is for.

I don’t know. Seems like you’re overreacting a bit.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Lucroy is a tool anyways. He will fit right in. Oh and he’s not any good.

I don’t get this comment. Maybe I missed something, but I always thought of Lucroy as a model citizen. I remember him supporting Braun a lot after the “exoneration” and then having quite a bit of egg on his face for the “un-exoneration” (though he wasn’t the only one). He also had to endure a massive amount of vitriol directed towards his wife after the suitcase incident, which was absolutely disgusting, even in this day and age. I’ve always liked him for this, and don’t get why some people dump on him now, except for the shirt he currently wears. Is that it?

Some were bitter that he rejected a trade to Cleveland, but I think it was just a veiled way of being angry that someone dared to want out of Milwaukee. It was funny when he vetoed it and then Cleveland nearly won the World Series, but it was silly at the time and still is now. Cleveland was on his no-trade list prior to the deal being made. The Brewers were depending on him to waive the clause to go to a place he didn't want to go from the start. The Brewers knew it was a stretch, which was reflected in Counsell's and Stearn's comments when it fell through. So, people basically held it against him that he exercised something pre-negotiated years prior in his contract. You're not supposed to use the things you negotiate for apparently.

Then of course there are the multitude of other reasons a person may not want to go to a certain place, not the least of which was that the Indians had an injured Yan Gomes who was younger than Lucroy and making more.

For me I think his reasoning for rejecting the trade was ridiculous. The Indians told him they couldn't guarantee he would catch full time the following season and would split between C, 1B, and DH and he somehow felt that would lower his free agent value. Seeing the way his career has just about cratered he probably could have used less wear and tear on his body.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yes, someone doesn’t agree with your stance so it’s overreacting. :laughing Always love that take.

Sorry for giving my opinion on a message board. Thanks for your input, very valuable to the discussion.

Can’t have it both ways guy. Telling someone their overreacting is not a great way to respond. Having a differing opinion is one thing. But I’m pretty sure you know this and will play the victim here. You’re good at it.

If you don't like the manner in which someone posts, please report it. If you don't like the content of a post, ignore it. Responding the way you did, and often do to posts in which you don't like the tone, doesn't help.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

For me I think his reasoning for rejecting the trade was ridiculous. The Indians told him they couldn't guarantee he would catch full time the following season and would split between C, 1B, and DH and he somehow felt that would lower his free agent value. Seeing the way his career has just about cratered he probably could have used less wear and tear on his body.

That's a somewhat fair point I think. I also think he was leaving his peak physical years and was simply not a good enough hitter to maintain production once he left his physical peak. I don't really fault Lucroy for wanting to catch full-time...and frankly it worked out fantastic that he did...as Lucroy led to Brinson which led to the 50/30 club.

Lucroy's production while he was a Brewer was worth about $250M in WAR on the open market. He made about $12M as a Brewer.

He was an absolute star, greatest catcher in franchise history and had by far the best years of his career here. Looking in retrospect, he's actually underrated for how good he was for us.

He was 99% a model citizen here as well. He did more than enough in my eyes to forgive any honest comment he might have made about playing for a rebuilding club.

I don't think it was ridiculous at all. He wanted to to win, but probably wanted to be a close to every day catcher. That's pretty par for the course for most guys considered all stars at their position. He knew that was not going to be the deal in CLE. Of course, he kind of sucked, so it didn't happen in Texas either, but he had a shot to be there a few years if he had played well enough. He basically just worked the circumstances to end up somewhere he wanted to be. I don't know why the expectation should be that the players just do what the team wants when they're trying to unload them. The Brewers would have shipped him off to Shanghai if they could.

It worked out great for MKE in the end, but I think he probably would've fallen off a cliff no matter where or what he wound up playing.

Lucroy's production while he was a Brewer was worth about $250M in WAR on the open market. He made about $12M as a Brewer.

He was an absolute star, greatest catcher in franchise history and had by far the best years of his career here. Looking in retrospect, he's actually underrated for how good he was for us.

He was 99% a model citizen here as well. He did more than enough in my eyes to forgive any honest comment he might have made about playing for a rebuilding club.

Exactly. Played great for us. Gritty, hard worker, overachiever, played hard and well for us for cheap, everything most people normally love. I have no reason to be bitter at him afterwards over not giving PR answer. I appreciate honesty. Turns out how could he have known our rebuild would be so short. I also don't recall if they offered an extension prior to that last year here, I'd guess they did but it was super team friendly which in hindsight probably ended up being more than he's made since he fell off a cliff so quickly.

Exactly. Played great for us. Gritty, hard worker, overachiever, played hard and well for us for cheap, everything most people normally love. I have no reason to be bitter at him afterwards over not giving PR answer. I appreciate honesty. Turns out how could he have known our rebuild would be so short. I also don't recall if they offered an extension prior to that last year here, I'd guess they did but it was super team friendly which in hindsight probably ended up being more than he's made since he fell off a cliff so quickly.

I believe it was reported that Lucroy asked for an extension and the Brewers weren't interested. I could be thinking about someone else though.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Just curious, did anyone actually buy his whole "my wife dropped a suitcase on my hand" thing? I don't see any scenario that didn't involve him punching something.

Any time a player gets a weird injury like that my BS detector goes off. A lot of times they do it because it violates a clause in their contract (e.g. Jeff Kent claiming he broke a bone while washing his truck. He was actually popping wheelies on a motorcycle)

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The Brewers had every chance to keep Lucroy, and several chances to reacquire him in the years since he left. He was everything that a team could have wanted as a leader, productive player and citizen.

I wish him the very best--even with the Cubs. And I'd be a little gleeful if he had a big moment for them in Miller Park against the Brewers, just to stick it a little bit to the team that didn't want to keep him.

just to stick it a little bit to the team that didn't want to keep him.

Seems like the right choice was made.

I agree. But I'm still a Lucroy fan and wish him the best. He was a star who gave it his all for very little money. And he was the face of the franchise while Braun was lying to us about his PED use. Lucroy was a homegrown guy who carried us through that episode.

I don't care if he lied about the suitcase thing, but it seems really weird if it were made up for your story to involve throwing your wife under the bus. There are a million stories you can make up that don't do that.

I don't care if he lied about the suitcase thing, but it seems really weird if it were made up for your story to involve throwing your wife under the bus. There are a million stories you can make up that don't do that.

Speculating is a horrible thing to do on an internet message board, but I'm going to do it anyway....They got in a fight, Lucroy punched a door or wall or refrigerator or something... broke his hand...and got one last word in to his wife...

I wish him the very best--even with the Cubs. And I'd be a little gleeful if he had a big moment for them in Miller Park against the Brewers, just to stick it a little bit to the team that didn't want to keep him.

BLASPHOMY!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

BLASPHOMY!

I know. I loathe the Cubs. But I really like Lucroy and it wouldn't hurt the Brewers front office to feel some heat now and then. We are a very polite fanbase compared to many and the edict to Trust Stearns could use a little rattling once in awhile.

Plus it would be a great story of redemption, and Lucroy is worthy of that.

I hope Lucroy doesn’t record a hit and commits an absurd amount of errors with the Cubs, especially against the Brewers. The Brewers clearly made the right call trading the guy, he’s been league average at best ever since, and we got a piece back that was used to acquire the NL MVP. Very weird to be a Brewers fan that wants him to get “redemption” against the Brewers when he wanted to be traded and Stearns obliged him.

Archived