Brewer Fanatic

2019 Misc MLB News

TURBO
  • Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

https://deadspin.com/you-could-microwave-a-hot-pocket-in-the-time-it-took-za-1834695558

Pace. Of. Play.

Well over 2 minutes between pitches. I haven't been an advocate of a pitch clock, but this kind of stuff is just ridiculous. You want a faster game? There's no reason for a pitcher (Yes, Zach Greinke) to stand for over a minute with a ball on his hip, while the batter steps out not once, but twice, and then shake off the catcher when he tries to come out to the mound. There's gamesmanship, and then there's this.

I really don't the idea of clocks but the umpires should have the power to do something to somebody when the game comes to a halt. Call a ball, or a strike, or a balk or something to get someone to do something. My JV games this year are taking less than 2 hours to do 7 innings. And this is with all the crappy JV play involved. Walks, errors, kids not knowing how to play baseball, etc.

If you want games to go faster, each throw over or step off is a ball. (Not 4th ball, though)

There would be more action with few throws over and more running on the bases.

I don't mind a throw to 1st base. Pitchers have to be able to hold runners. If they can't check or hold runners, runners would steal bases with impunity.

If you want games to go faster, each throw over or step off is a ball. (Not 4th ball, though)

There would be more action with few throws over and more running on the bases.

I don't mind a throw to 1st base. Pitchers have to be able to hold runners. If they can't check or hold runners, runners would steal bases with impunity.

They could still throw over. It would just be more of an event when they would, and there would be a negative attached to slowing down the game.

The three batter limit per pitcher is fine too. I'll welcome that one next year.

Also, how about the incoming relief pitcher has to walk hand in hand with the manager when he enters the game. Those pitching changes get to me... should be a quicker way to do it.

This is why you don't put guys on the IL with fake injuries when they aren't performing the way you want them to perform.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26727778/holland-rips-giants-brass-says-faked-injury

I'm sure fake injuries happen all the time. Holland is just upset he's being taken out of the rotation.

Guys get taken out of rotations pretty often. Not sure how often they get asked (or told) to fake an injury to make it happen.

Tyler Glasnow leaves the game with "forearm tightness". Yikes.

edit: Only expected to miss 4 - 6 weeks. Thought that was Tommy John for sure.

That trade was still a disaster for Pittsburgh. Not sure what they were thinking. Glasnow AND Meadows AND the 12th overall pick from 2017 for Archer? Yuk.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-players-on-the-best-uniforms

Team receiving one technically illegal vote from a player who picked his own team but whose response was too good not to print:

Brewers: “I think hands down [the best uniform] is our ‘Retro Fridays’ ones, with the ball and glove and the pinstripes. I know I'm not supposed to say our own, but I don't care. I love them. If we could wear that every day, I would love it. At first, I always just thought it was a baseball mitt. When I was in high school and I got my first job, I would go to Lidz and buy a bunch of baseball hats. I was wearing the Brewers one out one day and someone told me it was an M and B.” -- Josh Hader

Diamondbacks got five votes? lol

Yea that seemed crazy to me, all of their unis are hideous. Seemed like most of the player responses were how they grew up in the area of the teams with uniforms they liked, so naturally Milwaukee wouldn't have many votes with that formula. Surprised there weren't any other votes for the retro Friday pinstripes though, those are so slick.

Potential quote of the year from Nats’ pitcher:

Doolittle on Joe Maddon after Maddon disrupted his outing by arguing and protesting the game: “Sometimes he has to remind people how smart he is.”

Going forward, it would be nice if every single Cubs’ opponent protested the game in the middle of an Edwards outing.

Doolittle on Joe Maddon after Maddon disrupted his outing by arguing and protesting the game: “Sometimes he has to remind people how smart he is.”

Going forward, it would be nice if every single Cubs’ opponent protested the game in the middle of an Edwards outing.

Maddon's a dolt but...Edwards was called on it in Spring Training and has changed how he pitches. So I kind of agree with what Joe did there.

Maddon's a dolt but...Edwards was called on it in Spring Training and has changed how he pitches. So I kind of agree with what Joe did there.

If you look at what Edwards was doing and what Doolittle was doing, it's night and day. Doolittle hovers and his toe barely even taps the dirt. It took me a couple of replays to even confirm that he did. What Edwards did was lift his leg, land fully on his leg and then throw.

If you look at what Edwards was doing and what Doolittle was doing, it's night and day. Doolittle hovers and his toe barely even taps the dirt. It took me a couple of replays to even confirm that he did. What Edwards did was lift his leg, land fully on his leg and then throw.

I agree they are different but if I'm Maddon I'm going to want to check every pitcher that does anything similar to what they called Edwards for. Especially since rules about pitching motion are pretty much never enforced.

I love that Doolittle said "He likes to remind everyone how smart he is". Maddon tries to play this dumb meta game with everyone, and it's just annoying and stupid. He's not revolutionary and cutting edge. He thinks he still is, and it's just really made him into a guy I find annoying as h-e double hockey sticks.

Can probably just say right now that Mickey Callaway is getting fired. He was on the hot seat last week and getting swept by the Marlins including having 3 total hits in the last 2 games is probably going to be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Not sure where else to put this, but man I really dislike Schoop even more now that he's hitting well in MN and is the player I had assumed he would be in Milwaukee after last years trade deadline.

Then again, if there's anything that proves to be a death knell for a team's postseason chances, it's that Schoop is hitting well on it. So unless schoop suddenly slumps mightily, I expect the twins to crash as the season wears on - as backwards as that is.

Right now I just hope brewer pitching keeps them from clubbing 10 hrs a game when they play - their bats are rolling...

[dt][/dt]

Not sure where else to put this, but man I really dislike Schoop even more now that he's hitting well in MN and is the player I had assumed he would be in Milwaukee after last years trade deadline.

Then again, if there's anything that proves to be a death knell for a team's postseason chances, it's that Schoop is hitting well on it. So unless schoop suddenly slumps mightily, I expect the twins to crash as the season wears on - as backwards as that is.

Right now I just hope brewer pitching keeps them from clubbing 10 hrs a game when they play - their bats are rolling...

I think it was obvious to to just about everyone that Schoop did not like getting traded, leaving his buddies, on the worst team in baseball to a team with a chance to win a World Series. His body language, besides his performance, was abhorrent. There’s a reason Stearns took the unprecedented step of publicly bashing himself for bringing him to the crew.

As far as the Twinkie’s are concerned, someone has to bring them back to earth, it might as well be us. American League is so bad, outside of 5 teams it’s hard to gage how good they really are.

Archived