Brewer Fanatic

2019 Misc MLB News

TURBO
Sonny Gray and Wade Miley both sucking.

Perhaps the Derek Johnson pixie dust isn't as magical anymore.

Brewers team ERA: 23rd

Reds team ERA: 6th

I realize this post was from awhile ago, but I for one sure miss DJ.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reds have also played 6 games against the Pirates and 2 against the Marlins.

In case anyone missed it, here's the worst play I have EVER seen in the outfield in a ball game at any level.

https://www.mlb.com/video/hernandez-s-unusual-double

Here's writer, Jay Jaffe's take on the debacle :laughing https://blogs.fangraphs.com/instagraphs/just-what-the-hell-was-marcell-ozuna-doing/

This is the 2nd time Ozuna has done this. He did it at Miller Park and I believe the run(s) scored on the play were the difference in the game.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Any stat that can swing your team from 23rd to top 10 after a single game is probably not worth using.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Not really sure what you're talking about. Nobody went from 23rd to top 10 in one game.

Reds have allowed 35 runs in 12 games, we've allowed 71 in 13. Very clearly their pitching has been far better so far.

Not really sure what you're talking about. Nobody went from 23rd to top 10 in one game.

Reds have allowed 35 runs in 12 games, we've allowed 71 in 13. Very clearly their pitching has been far better so far.

I am saying any stat that fluctuates so much game to game is not that great a barometer of success. Brewers could literally have a better ERA than the Reds after one homestand. At the very least the jury is out on whether or not the pitching coach is missed or not.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

A word on the Dodgers: they didn't look like the awesome team they are in the last 4 game series with the Cards. So many HBP, wild pitches and walks. Except for Bellinger their hitting was tepid. Max Muncy was less than his usual.

But it's a long season and of course, they will bounce back. But you gotta get 'em while they're down. I heard Kershaw is coming off the DL. I wonder if his injury was arm related?

A lot more goes into the strike out spike than just the players trying to hit HR. More ABs are against high end RP than ever before and the pitch training technology is ramping up way faster than the hitting. Even if nothing at all changed about how hitters approached the game you would see a big spike in K%.

The Blue Jays plan to purchase the contract of Eric Sogard from Triple-A Buffalo on Monday.

They'll first need to make a 40-man roster move. Sogard could see fairly regular playing time at second base after the struggling Lourdes Gurriel was optioned to Triple-A following Sunday's game.

Source: Keegan Matheson on Twitter

Apr 14, 2019, 6:07 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Community Moderator
Red Sox pitching just sucking. Even Chris Davis bashed them around with a 3 hit, 4 RBI performance. Team ERA was 6.14 going into today and they ended up giving up another 9 runs (8 earned).

It looks like Tampa is now the clear favorite in the AL East. Shocking.

The wild cards are wide open so there is still plenty of time for Boston to wake up.

• 2 weeks later...
More of a Random thought than Misc MLB News. I find it interesting that the Reds always seem to announce their starting lineup way ahead of any other team (on days when every team is playing a night game). It's not even noon central, they have a 6:10 game and they already have the lineup out there, same thing happened yesterday. I only notice this because I'm in an NL only fantasy league and have 3 Reds on my team.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

More of a Random thought than Misc MLB News. I find it interesting that the Reds always seem to announce their starting lineup way ahead of any other team (on days when every team is playing a night game). It's not even noon central, they have a 6:10 game and they already have the lineup out there, same thing happened yesterday. I only notice this because I'm in an NL only fantasy league and have 3 Reds on my team.

Never noticed that but I remember reading before the season started that MLB was going to make lineup announcements a standard amount of time before games for all teams because it was effecting betting or something like that. However, I've noticed no uniformity with lineup announcements this year.

Not sure if this is fully true, but MLBTR has a post that says the Cubs will option Addison Russell to AAA where he's allowed to play while being suspended the entire year? It says from a 40 game suspension for violating the domestic violence policy. Being down in AAA he will not accrue service time.

I'm not sure I understand the suspension part. Did Chicago suspend him the entirety of the season on top of MLB's 40game suspension? But more confusing is that it says he will be activated from the restrictive list Thursday and then optioned. Thursday clearly hasn't been 40 games. wooop okay I guess he has been serving already from 2018. So now that means Chicago team suspended him the rest of the entire 2019 season? Or is MLBTR just smoking crack? The piece goes on saying he won't accrue any service time while he's down in AAA serving his suspension but allowed to play down there.

Not sure if this is fully true, but MLBTR has a post that says the Cubs will option Addison Russell to AAA where he's allowed to play while being suspended the entire year? It says from a 40 game suspension for violating the domestic violence policy. Being down in AAA he will not accrue service time.

I'm not sure I understand the suspension part. Did Chicago suspend him the entirety of the season on top of MLB's 40game suspension? But more confusing is that it says he will be activated from the restrictive list Thursday and then optioned. Thursday clearly hasn't been 40 games. wooop okay I guess he has been serving already from 2018. So now that means Chicago team suspended him the rest of the entire 2019 season? Or is MLBTR just smoking crack? The piece goes on saying he won't accrue any service time while he's down in AAA serving his suspension but allowed to play down there.

Based on the rest of the article I take the following to mean simply that he has been suspended the entirety of the 2019 season so far. Not worded very clearly.

"He’s been suspended for the entirety of the 2019 season as part of a 40-game suspension under the league’s domestic violence policy that was issued last September."

Starting on Thursday he'll simply be a player optioned to the minors, like any other. Well, except that he's not, but in terms of roster and service time rules etc he will be.

I find it funny how Manfred is all about speeding up the game to try to interest younger fans, but at the same time, wants more scoring to make it more interesting. If they are truly juicing the ball and changing it in some way like it’s rumored to be, pitchers are having to learn how to throw a different ball that has lower laces and a much different feel in the hand. This will lead to less control, most likely more walks, and more homeruns because of mistake pitches.

So not only are pitchers throwing more pitches trying to get a feel with the new balls, there are more walks and more homeruns, leading to longer games. This is in an era where players are striking out at alarming rates as well, increasing at bat lengths and game time. Maybe it’s just me, but it’s funny how Manfred wants shorter game lengths, but more scoring. While at the same time changing the ball where pitchers have to in a way relearn how to pitch with the new ball. The logic of the entire situation is really something else...

Tyler Glasnow leaves the game with "forearm tightness". Yikes.

edit: Only expected to miss 4 - 6 weeks. Thought that was Tommy John for sure.

Archived