Brewer Fanatic

Korry Howell vs. Brice Turang

clancyphile

The Brewers could have two good shortstops from the 2018 draft.

We all know about Brice Turang, the 1st round pick who got $3.5 million, but Korry Howell is showing some elite speed, and he also seems to hit for average as well.

Howell: .311/.398/.350 - .748 OPS, 12 for 16 in SB, and 14 BB in 103 ABs for AZL Brewers

Turang: .283/.396/.352 - .748 OPS, 14 for 16 in SB, and 31 BB in 159 ABs between AZL Brewers and Helena Brewers

At this point, which of these players should the Brewers think about moving to another position (CF, 2B), especially as both seem to be programmed for Wisconsin this year? Both players have moved from shortstop - Howell has played some third base, Turang some at second base.

Howell does seem to be a pure speedster with a good hit-for-average tool and solid OBP skills, with very little power. Turang has a little more pop, good speed, but his batting average was 28 points lower than Howell's, albeit compensated for by superb OBP skills.

It's a nice dilemma to have for the Crew down the road...

I started to read this thinking “bunch of stats about a newer prospect that I haven’t really heard of compared to our latest first round pick” and immediately knew who wrote it. I appreciate your insight on prospects that fly under the radar Clancy. Look forward to seeing if either of these kids work out.

Conventional wisdom would say if you have a player that can cut it as shortstop in professional baseball you should continue to get him reps at the position until his performance says otherwise. The players referenced are more than a year apart in age, I don’t think staggering their progression through the system would be that difficult if it proves necessary.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

As of now I assume Turang will remain level ahead of Howell so you have to worry about SS reps. Howell will continue to grow versatility by playing all over diamond & build worth there. Turang messed with his swing his senior to add power and caused him to struggle a bit more for a guy all scouts had been saying is top player in class since he was a freshman. However, there is a reason he was talked like that & he showed that last year in pros. To me he is Trae Turner & like Trae, power may never be big part of game but that’s fine.

Howell is intriguing but as of right now like said above... Turang has to prove he can’t hit & Howell has to excel. If not Turang will always have the prestige

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Howell is a year older than Turang for what it's worth.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

And even if they are both in Wisconsin next year, neither might be the best defensive shortstop on the roster (Antonio Pinero).

I think there might only be four spots for 2nd/ss/3rd, and it seems Turang and Coca are locks with Pinero, Howell and Julio Garcia as the other options.

I'd be surprised to see Howell skip a level. Maybe he starts in WI but then goes to CS when the short season begins. But the Brewers have plenty of infielders to cover WI. Its great to know about his strong speed skill. I had no idea he was that fast. At worst, could make for a good utility infielder. So it would be good to have him take reps at many different positions.

Conventional wisdom would say if you have a player that can cut it as shortstop in professional baseball you should continue to get him reps at the position until his performance says otherwise. The players referenced are more than a year apart in age, I don’t think staggering their progression through the system would be that difficult if it proves necessary.

Right, they're young, they haven't yet hit full-season ball yet, and one of them was talked about as the potential top pick in the draft(though from now until next year there will be probably 30 guys who scouts speculate "could" be the top pick in the draft).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Whew! I'm glad this wasn't an ill-advised cage match. No conflict needed. Turang starts at A ball SS and Howell at R+. If you are changing your prospects to fit your development system, you ara doing it wrong. Play your prospects at the highest defensive value position until they prove that they can't do it at the MLB level.

Always lurking....love your style. Don't always agree, but your passion and energy to prove you point is energizing.

Check out my new thread on the guy we got from the Mets compared to someone we already had...

Would love your take on Vargas...

Archived