Brewer Fanatic

Brian Dozier part II

TURBO

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic writes that the Brewers "like" free agent second baseman Brian Dozier.

But it's unclear whether the two parties have engaged in any serious contract negotiations. Dozier would be a nice stopgap in Milwaukee until the arrival of top second base prospect Keston Hiura, and Miller Park would be a nice offensive environment for the veteran to attempt a bounceback after he struggled through much of the 2018 season. Dozier is also said to be drawing interest from the Nationals. He may have to settle for a one-year deal after batting .215/.305/.391 in 151 games between the Twins and Dodgers last year.

Source: The AthleticJan 3 - 10:48 AM

I'd be fine with adding Dozier on a 1 year deal...I hope this has legs.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic writes that the Brewers "like" free agent second baseman Brian Dozier.

But it's unclear whether the two parties have engaged in any serious contract negotiations. Dozier would be a nice stopgap in Milwaukee until the arrival of top second base prospect Keston Hiura, and Miller Park would be a nice offensive environment for the veteran to attempt a bounceback after he struggled through much of the 2018 season. Dozier is also said to be drawing interest from the Nationals. He may have to settle for a one-year deal after batting .215/.305/.391 in 151 games between the Twins and Dodgers last year.

Source: The AthleticJan 3 - 10:48 AM

I'd be fine with adding Dozier on a 1 year deal...I hope this has legs.

I hope he still has legs. He looked run down and awful last year. That said, I wouldn't mind a one year deal on him or any other 2nd baseman really.

I was on Dozier as the logical move early on. He's got the biggest upside as an impact bat and at 31 going on 32, isn't a huge risk provided he's healthy. Plus he has incentive to take a short term deal and re-establish his value. Can't believe it's taken this long for even a hint of interest.

I'm curious if Brewer fans think more highly of Dozier or Moustakas? If the question was posed last offseason, I'm pretty certain the answer would be Dozier in a landslide. Although I'd prefer a left handed bat, I'd rather have Shaw playing at 3B than at 2B to make that happen.

I'm willing to give Dozier a mulligan for his struggles last season and think he's a perfect fit and buy low candidate for the Brewers.

I'm curious if Brewer fans think more highly of Dozier or Moustakas? If the question was posed last offseason, I'm pretty certain the answer would be Dozier in a landslide. Although I'd prefer a left handed bat, I'd rather have Shaw playing at 3B than at 2B to make that happen.

I'm willing to give Dozier a mulligan for his struggles last season and think he's a perfect fit and buy low candidate for the Brewers.

It's not as easy as Dozier or Moustakas, though. They are two different types of hitters who play different positions. Dozier, while he has good power, is a solid contact, OBP guy who doesn't K much. He's a solid fit in the #2 hole between Cain and Yelich. Moose is a good power, low OBP guy who Ks more, and likely slots in the #5 or 6 spot below Aguilar and Shaw. He's a middle of the order power bat.

Plus, defensively if you sign Moose you are playing him at 3B while shifting Shaw to 2B fulltime. While the Brewers proved they could win that way, I think most would agree that Shaw's best defensive position is 3B. Dozier is a former Gold Glover and is still a very solid defender at 2B. Defensively a Shaw/Arcia/Dozier/Aguilar alignment would likely be much more sound than a Moustakas/Arcia/Shaw/Arcia alignment.

That said, I enjoyed Moose's time in Milwaukee, and if he continues to see a cold market, and depending on where guys like Dozier, LeMahieu, Lowrie and Dietrich end up going, I wouldn't be opposed to a reunion. It would make the lineup a little lefty-heavy, though, especially if Gamel is going to see regular time in RF. For it to work, it means that Braun will need to stay healthy and continue to mash lefties, while hoping Aguilar's first half last season wasn't a fluke, Arcia hits like he did in September and the playoffs, and they get more offense from the catcher position.

It depends on the medicals re Dozier, to a degree, but even then I like Moustakas more.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm curious if Brewer fans think more highly of Dozier or Moustakas?

If Dozier is healthy - I'd pick him over Moose.

Dozier at 2B and Shaw at 3B is a better defensive club than Shaw/Moose.

Dozier has been a plus defender, baserunner and hitter until cratering last season. If the club thinks that his problems were related to his injury, then Dozier is a great bounce back guy.

Moustakas is okay defensively, and a minus on the bases. Still, he's a good player. I just am not thrilled at the idea of putting Shaw at 2B full time if at all possible.

Again, it all depends on what the club thinks bout Dozier's health and skills. If they simply think he's lost it - then stay away.

He had worse numbers than Schoop last season and Schoop got run out of town. I guess as a potential buy low guy but he is ageing and was horrid last year.

I would prefer Dozier over Moose. It is much more likely that Dozier would accept a one year deal and I want Shaw back at 3B. He was projected to get one year and 10 million but I wouldn't go over 6 for him. Stearns definitely is waiting out the market which I am ok with... assuming we pickup more than a 2B.

He had worse numbers than Schoop last season and Schoop got run out of town. I guess as a potential buy low guy but he is ageing and was horrid last year.

Dozier 2018: .215/.305/.391/.696

Schoop 2018 total: .233/.266/.416/.682

Schoop's Brewers numbers that got him run out of town: .202/.246/.331/.577

At worst, Dozier's 2018 numbers are comparable to Schoop's (a bit less power but significantly better OBP), and nowhere near Schoop's horrific Brewers numbers. He also came off of back-to-back years of OPSing >.850 with 76 total HRs.

He's not THAT old at age 32 next year (1 year younger than LoCain), certainly not old enough that his numbers should suddenly plummet based on age alone. Seems more likely to me his injury took it's toll.

As with any buy-low candidate, there is risk or else you wouldn't be buying low. But count me in for sure on a short-term deal for Dozier to bridge the gap to Hiura if he is medically fit.

I am not Shea Vucinich

How about instead of one or the other, we sign both Moustakas and Dozier to one year deals? Injuries will arise and allow plenty of at bats for all the guys.

Depending on matchups, who’s hot at the time, and individual performance during the season, there are plenty of creative ways to get certain guys in the lineup.

Against lefties, Aguilar is at first with Dozier at second and Moose at third.

Against righties, Moose is at third and Shaw slides over to second or first depending on how Aguilar or Dozier has been playing lately. Even Thames could play first if he is still here with Shaw at second and Moose at third.

Against lefties:

CF Cain

2B Dozier

RF Yelich

LF Braun

1B Aguilar

3B Moose

C Pina

SS Arcia

P

Against righties:

CF Cain

LF Gamel

RF Yelich

2B Shaw

3B Moose

1B Thames

C Pina

SS Arcia

P

Dozier could slot into the two hole, removing Thames from the lineup, moving Shaw to first, and sliding Gamel down to 6th in the order if he is hitting well. If you roll out this lineup and a team brings in a lefty, you have Braun to pinch hit and come in to play left or first, Aguilar, Perez to play anywhere, and Dozier.

I would feel pretty good about our offense if we pulled this off. Our bench depth would allow us to bring in quality guys for pinch hitting or for double switching at any point in the game. I think it is very realistic to acquire both of them and don’t see either of them receiving multi year offers that will price us out of their market.

Dozier, while he has good power, is a solid contact, OBP guy who doesn't K much.

Dozier has a career OBP of .324. He walks at a decent rate - just under 10% for his career - but is not someone I would call an "OBP guy".

Dozier at his best is an impact bat who hits right handed. He's one year removed from back to back seasons of .850+ OPS. He didn't hit well after he joined the Dodgers but like Schoop, he was leaving an organization in which he had spent his entire career. Still, he had 5 HR and 20 RBI in 143 AB's so he got some big hits.

What I like about Dozier is his .850 career OPS vs. LHP and the fact he's taken Jose Quintana deep 4 times in 55 PA.

I like Dozier but wouldn't make any sort of significant financial commitment to him until I found out what is up with Grandal. With Hiura waiting in the wings, I see catcher as a much bigger hole than 2B. Still like the idea of Logan Forsythe as a nice, cheap bridge to cover the first couple months until the Super Two game with Hiura is over. If the Brewers are already out on both Grandal and Keuchel (I've already assumed they are out with Keuchel but one never knows for sure), Dozier would be my next target.

According to Fancred's Jon Heyman, the Mets have had recent talks with free agent Brian Dozier.

The fit doesn't make much sense on paper given that the Mets acquired veteran second baseman Robinson Cano from the Mariners earlier this winter and also still have 2018 standout Jeff McNeil in the fold. This could simply be a case of kicking the tires from ultra-aggressive Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen. Heyman notes that Nationals and Rockies make far more sense for Dozier, and both teams presumably remain interested.

Source: Jon Heyman on TwitterJan 8 - 7:22 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

This could simply be a case of kicking the tires from ultra-aggressive Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen.

I was reading The Athletic last night and the Mets fans have been extremely vocal in calling out the Wilpons for basically running away with all the Mets profits and only faking interest in making the team competitive. Many of the same fans were very negative about Brodie Van Wagenen as just the latest fake face of the team to "pretend" they are trying to improve the team. This rumor actually fits a "damage control" approach completely as there is no reason to add a 2nd 2B...

BTW, reading The Athletic comments section from members is refreshing... none of the mindless back and forth that makes reading most "boards"/comments section mind numbing... People actually respect each other and ask others to defend their position, I guess paying for the service reduces the trolling behavior...

I like Dozier but wouldn't make any sort of significant financial commitment to him until I found out what is up with Grandal. With Hiura waiting in the wings, I see catcher as a much bigger hole than 2B. Still like the idea of Logan Forsythe as a nice, cheap bridge to cover the first couple months until the Super Two game with Hiura is over. If the Brewers are already out on both Grandal and Keuchel (I've already assumed they are out with Keuchel but one never knows for sure), Dozier would be my next target.

Perez is a better player right now than Forsythe and it's not all that close. It makes no sense for them to sign a 2B that's not a potentially significant upgrade over Perez, who I think would get the bulk of the starts over Spangenberg who would start just against the tougher RH pitchers. Dozier and Lowrie are the two guys out there where a short term deal is feasible and who have track records of being an impact bat.

Archived