Brewer Fanatic

Phillies sign David Robertson- 2 years, at least $23m

JDBrewCrew

Mark Feinsand

Verified account

@Feinsand

2m2 minutes ago

More

BREAKING: David Robertson has agreed to a two-year deal with the Phillies that guarantees him at least $23 million. He’ll earn $10M in 2019, $11M in 2020, with a $12M club option ($2M buyout) for 2021. He’s passed a physical and the deal is complete.

Robertson for two years is a solid signing. I thought someone would give him three years. While he'll be 34 in April, he's still a very good and very consistent player.

I don't know how much he really meant it but he said he would only sign near his home in the northeast. If he stuck to that, it would limit his market to just a few teams. He also chose to represent himself.

Don't think the Brewers are planning on spending this kind of cash on a reliever & even if they were I don't think Robertson would have chosen us over an East Coast team, but at 2/23 he definitely would have been the guy I targeted.

From 2010 through 2018 he has cleared 60 innings each season with a FIP- between 44 & 84 and an ERA- between 26 & 90. Guy is about as consistent as it gets for a reliever.

Add it all up (14.2 WAR, 17.80 WPA) & he is the best reliever outside of the upper tier of Kimbrel (19.0 WAR, 24.30 WPA)/Kenley (17.7 WAR, 20.05 WPA)/Aroldis (17.6 WAR, 17.74 WPA) over that time frame.

As was mentioned, it's interesting to note that Robertson acted as his own agent and *still* got a really nice deal. Saved himself over $1M (if you assume a 5% commission fee paid to an agent).

I can't specifically recall a situation like this in MLB (a handful of players in NFL have tried it with bad results), but I can't imagine Robertson getting a better deal than what he just landed at age 34.

Gruber Lawffices

As was mentioned, it's interesting to note that Robertson acted as his own agent and *still* got a really nice deal. Saved himself over $1M (if you assume a 5% commission fee paid to an agent).

I can't specifically recall a situation like this in MLB (a handful of players in NFL have tried it with bad results), but I can't imagine Robertson getting a better deal than what he just landed at age 34.

So you didn't imagine the team losing him signing Britton for 3 years 40 million.

I'd have agreed with you when you said it though.

Archived