Brewer Fanatic

Brewers' Third Round Pick - Josh Wahpepah, CC RHP

Again, from BA

Quote:
A second-team junior college all-American in 2003, Wahpepah was even better this spring. He tossed a two-hit shutout to help Cowley County win in the juco playoffs, extending his scoreless streak to 30 innings and improving his record to 11-1, 1.24. A full-blooded Native American, Wahpepah committed to Arkansas out of high school but never pitched for the Razorbacks. His sinker jumped from the mid-80s in high school to 89-92 mph in 2003 to 91-95 mph this spring. He has a feel for a changeup, though he needs work on his control and breaking ball. His arm action is funky, which makes him tough to pick up but also may hamper his ability to improve in those areas. The Tigers took him in the 18th round last June and may need to come up with second-round money to sign him. If Wahpepah doesn't turn pro, he'll pitch for Texas next year.

http://www.news-star.com/images/062002/spo_wahp.jpg

this guy has potential in my opinion....if his style gets guys out I have no problem...I dont think we're dealing with Boston pitcher Kim here, but hes definatly not orthadox

Wahpepah appears to have room to fill out some more. The name alone is worth the pick, although it isn't as good as Tommy Hawk. Maybe he can add a little velocity. He could be one of those later round gems Jake Z always seems to unearth.

"Former Baseball Player Of the Year To Head South After Signing With Longhorns," The Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City), November 19, 2003, Sports, Pg. 2C

Quote:
Former Little All-City Baseball Player of the Year Josh Wahpepah has signed to play at Texas.

Wahpepah, who won five state titles while at Dale, plays at Cowley County (Kan.) Community College.

Last season, he was 9-2 with a 1.63 ERA and 61 strikeouts.

As a senior at Dale in 2002, he was 11-0 with a 0.48 ERA. 4 Sooners named to academic first team Four members of the Oklahoma volleyball team were named to the 2003 Academic All-Big 12 first team on Wednesday.

Senior Christina Maynes led the Sooners with the third first-team honor of her career.

Senior Yvette Villanueva and sophomores Sheena Werling and Jennifer Adams were named to first team for the first time. Oklahoma announces softball signings The Oklahoma softball team has signed six players, including Midwest City shortstop Savannah Long.

Also named to the team were Newcastle senior Jadyn Smith, Susan Ogden of Sherman, Texas; Stacy Braddock of Garland, Texas; and Tayl'r Hollis of St. Thomas More in Lafayette, La.

"When you put this class together, they are definitely a top-10 class," OU coach Patty Gasso said.

~Bill

"Scouts Take A Look At Wahpepah's Stuff," The Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City), Byline Bob Colon, June 2, 2003, Sports, Pg. 2-B

Quote:
Pitcher Josh Wahpepah, an all-stater at Dale a year ago, was in Milwaukee on Saturday working out for the scouting director of the Brewers.

Wahpepah had a similar session for scouts and agents last Wednesday at Dale.

The free agent baseball draft is Tuesday.

"That was the first time I'd seen Josh throw since our season ended a year ago," said Dale coach Bruce Throckmorton. "He was throwing between 91 and 94 mph with movement. His speed had improved 4 to 5 mph since he pitched here.

"A lot of people can throw in the low 90s, but they don't have that movement. I am hearing he could go somewhere between the third and sixth rounds of the draft. But you never know about the draft."

Wahpepah was 8-2 this spring at Cowley County Community College in Arkansas City, Kan., and was rated the top draft prospect in Kansas by Baseball America.

"He was our No. 1 guy," said Cowley County coach Dave Burroughs. "He is one of the best guys we've ever had in here. It depends on the draft. He has a couple of different college options. He also has the option to come back here."

Wahpepah might be looking at a signing bonus in the 400,000 range, if he goes high enough. That's quite a recovery for a guy whose letter of intent was canceled at the University of Arkansas, when Dave Van Horn replaced long-time coach Norm DeBriyn in Fayetteville last summer.

When Van Horn told Wahpepah to find another school, he wound up at Cowley

"Wahpepah Still Prize Prospect," The Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City), Byline Bob Colon, July 1, 2003, Sports

Quote:
Josh Wahpepah of Dale was the best high school pitcher I saw this year.

He's almost too good to be true - a great student and an outstanding basketball and baseball player.

The 6-foot-3 and 185-pound right-hander signed a baseball letter-of-intent with the University of Arkansas during the early signing period in November.

I thought that was a good catch for Arkansas. But veteran coach Norm DeBriyn retired at the end of the season with Dave Van Horn coming in from the University of Nebraska to coach the Razorbacks.

Wahpepah wasn't in Van Horn's plans, so the Dale pitcher won't be in Fayetteville next season.

"The new coach told me I should go to a junior college first," Wahpepah said Tuesday in steamy Drillers Stadium before the All-State baseball games.

"I'm going to Cowley County, Kan., Junior College. I visited both Northerns (Tonkawa and Enid) and decided on Cowley County."

Wahpepah also visited Division I Southwest Missouri at Springfield, and Van Horn was going to approve a transfer, but Wahpepah says it's going to be Cowley County.

"I understand what (Van Horn) is trying to do," Wahpepah said. "He hasn't seen me play."

Clay Blevins, Dale's all-state catcher, will be going to Cowley County with Wahpepah. They report to Cowley County in Arkansas City in two weeks, but I don't think the recruiting is over.

Wahpepah was 21-1 in the fall and spring as Dale was going a combined 69-9. Dale won the Class 2A title in the spring with Wahpepah on the mound and lost to Latta in the Class A fall finals, yielding five unearned runs.

In the spring 2A finals in Shawnee, Wahpepah allowed just one earned run in Dale's 6-2 win over Wellston. He pitched a four-hitter, walking three and striking out 13.

He had a 0.48 earned run average in the spring and struck out 120 in 73 innings.

"I pitched a lot better in the spring than I did in the fall," he said. "I've thrown pretty well with the (Midwest City Bandits) American Legion team."

Wahpepah got the save Tuesday as the Small East blanked the Small West 3-0 in the first game of the All-State doubleheader.

He pitched the final three innings, allowing an infield single while walking two and striking out two. He retired the final seven men he faced.

They use odd rules in all-state baseball with teams using 12-player lineups.

You have eight position players, three designated hitters and the pitcher. Now that's odd stuff.

A college coach told me he was surprised Arkansas let Wahpepah get away. I was, too.

Here's a guy who throws 90 mph with a good curve ball. He averaged 18 points a game in basketball and had a 3.9 grade-point average. What's not to like?

~Bill

He went to high school and CC with Bevins, which is interesting. I assume the Brewers have a good relationship with this CC coach and/or high school coach.

Also, one of the above articles notes that he was at Milwaukee's pre-draft workout last year. So this is apparently someone Jack Z has been courting for some time.

~Bill

Quote:
Wahpepah appears to have room to fill out some more. The name alone is worth the pick, although it isn't as good as Tommy Hawk. Maybe he can add a little velocity.

In one of the articles posted above it says he has a 91-95 MPH sinker. He also looks like he could add some velocity as he grows as well. Me likey.

NastyTwig-

News story from "The Olympian" on M's pitching prospect.

Quote:
According to researchers at the Baseball Hall of Fame library, the last Native American player in the majors was John Henry Johnson, a left-handed reliever who threw from 1978-87 for the Athletics, Rangers, Red Sox and Brewers.

There have been 20 to 30 Native American major leaguers, but the exact number is difficult to determine. Most researchers define the threshold as being at least one-quarter Indian.

Google is great for questions like this one. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Link while live:

www.news-star.com/stories...o_12.shtml

Wahpepah drafted in third round by Brewers

By Fred Fehr

SNS Sports Editor

Soon, Josh Wahpepah will have to make a decision.

Wahpepah, a Dale High School product who has signed a baseball letter of intent with the University of Texas, was a third-round selection (76th pick overall) of the Milwaukee Brewers in Monday's major league draft.

Wahpepah's former high school coach, Bruce Throckmorton, says his ex-pupil has two good options.

"Texas is one of the best baseball programs in the country and being a third-round pick, for his age, is pretty good financially," said Throckmorton.

Wahpepah has spent the last two seasons at Cowley County Junior College in Arkansas City, Kan. He posted very impressive numbers this year as a sophomore -- 11-1 record, 1.24 earned run average in 17 starts, six complete games and three shutouts.

In 85 innings of work during the regular season, Wahpepah allowed 46 hits, 49 walks and fanned 82. He allowed only seven extra-base hits in the regular campaign and opposing batters recorded a measly .159 average.

Wahpepah was drafted last year by Detroit but recently turned down an offer from the Tigers. Last weekend, he worked out for the Brewers, who obviously liked what they saw.

"I talked to him by phone Monday and congratulated him. He was very excited and honored about being drafted in the third round," Throckmorton said. "It's been a life-long dream of his.

"No. 1, he's a great kid and he has matured a lot. We knew a long time ago that he had god-given ability. He had what scouts like in that he's tall, he has lanky arms and good velocity.

"Now, he's filled out where he is at least 6-4 and weighs from 200 to 210 pounds. We knew if he grew that he would have a chance to play pro ball."

Should Wahpepah decide to sign with Milwaukee, he would be the second Dale product and Cowley County star to ink with the Brewers. Clay Blevins recently agreed to a contract with the Brewers organization and is currently attending a summer camp in Arizona.

Here's the article mentioned in the link just above about catcher Clay Blevins:

Former Dale High School baseball player Clay Blevins recently signed a minor league baseball contract with the Milwaukee Brewers organization. Blevins, who just completed his sophomore season at Cowley County Community College, batted .320 with three home runs and a team-high 22 doubles. The catcher compiled a .503 slugging percentage in his sophomore season and was second on the team with 24 walks.

Blevins was drafted in June 2003, and agreed to a "draft and follow" procedure, where the organization retains the rights to sign the player, but the player returns to college for another season and signs before the draft the following year.

Blevins is currently in Tempe, Ariz., attending the Brewers' summer camp and will soon begin play with the Helena (Mont.) Brewers of the Class A short-season rookie league.

Archived