Brewer Fanatic

Yusei Kikuchi signs with Mariners

reillymcshane

I don't think that less than 15 million a year for 3 years was too much. I know to sign here we would be paying a bit more than that, but let's say 16 million per year, is that really too much in today's market?

I'd have paid it.

Jon Heyman of Fancred reports that Yusei Kikuchi will make $43 million over three years in his reported agreement with the Mariners.

It's a unique contract. After three years, the Mariners can extend Kikuchi for four years at $66 million. If they don't, Kikuchi can either opt into free agency at age 30 or exercise an option for a fourth year at $13 million. He could max out at $109 million if the Mariners extend him. Kikuchi was posted by the Saitama Seibu Lions last month and faced a deadline of January 2 at 5 p.m. ET to sign with an MLB team.

Source: Jon Heyman on TwitterJan 1 - 12:19 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I don't think that less than 15 million a year for 3 years was too much. I know to sign here we would be paying a bit more than that, but let's say 16 million per year, is that really too much in today's market?

I'd have paid it.

Jon Heyman of Fancred reports that Yusei Kikuchi will make $43 million over three years in his reported agreement with the Mariners.

It's a unique contract. After three years, the Mariners can extend Kikuchi for four years at $66 million. If they don't, Kikuchi can either opt into free agency at age 30 or exercise an option for a fourth year at $13 million. He could max out at $109 million if the Mariners extend him. Kikuchi was posted by the Saitama Seibu Lions last month and faced a deadline of January 2 at 5 p.m. ET to sign with an MLB team.

Source: Jon Heyman on TwitterJan 1 - 12:19 PM

You're forgetting the posting fee.

I get it, but then again I don't. Why would he have to live in Milwaukee? How many current Brewers live in Milwaukee? Having a condo to crash during homestands doesn't count.

That's the part I never understand whenever this comes up, whether it be international players or FAs here that prefer a certain area. What does it matter? 5 months out of the year live wherever you want. One month you're in AZ or FL, the other 6 months is really just one long road trip regardless of where you "live."

Ya, I never get that reason either. Especially for baseball players. How much "free time" do they even have during a home stand? A couple hours in the morning? Also when someone choses a team because their Spring Training complex in near where they live. I guess the extra 6 weeks at home is nice but you're still spending 6 months somewhere else.

Why would he ever pick Milwaukee when he generally has the pick of just about anywhere he wants? If his youth and skill were not as good as they are he'd have less choices because contract size would be a larger factor, but he was going to be filthy rich either way. In fact, all bias would point to Milwaukee being among the last places he'd pick. Not because it's terrible here but because of team history, overall payroll expectations and market size.

Don't get me wrong, Milwaukee's reputation is on an upswing, but it's still Milwaukee and there are still clear biases attached to Milwaukee. I think many players would like to play here but even so I don't think it would ever be a player's first choice. Circumstances would have to be right like in the Cain signing.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

I get it, but then again I don't. Why would he have to live in Milwaukee? How many current Brewers live in Milwaukee? Having a condo to crash during homestands doesn't count.

That's the part I never understand whenever this comes up, whether it be international players or FAs here that prefer a certain area. What does it matter? 5 months out of the year live wherever you want. One month you're in AZ or FL, the other 6 months is really just one long road trip regardless of where you "live."

Ya, I never get that reason either. Especially for baseball players. How much "free time" do they even have during a home stand? A couple hours in the morning? Also when someone choses a team because their Spring Training complex in near where they live. I guess the extra 6 weeks at home is nice but you're still spending 6 months somewhere else.

Why would he ever pick Milwaukee when he generally has the pick of just about anywhere he wants? If his youth and skill were not as good as they are he'd have less choices because contract size would be a larger factor, but he was going to be filthy rich either way. In fact, all bias would point to Milwaukee being among the last places he'd pick. Not because it's terrible here but because of team history, overall payroll expectations and market size.

Don't get me wrong, Milwaukee's reputation is on an upswing, but it's still Milwaukee and there are still clear biases attached to Milwaukee. I think many players would like to play here but even so I don't think it would ever be a player's first choice. Circumstances would have to be right like in the Cain signing.

Oh yea, I get that. I'm not surprised at all he didn't pick Milwaukee. Foreign players probably barely know the Brewers, and almost certainly don't even have any idea where Milwaukee is, or what it's like.

A specific usage plan was part of the Mariners negotiations with Kikuchi per MLB.com reporter Greg Johns...

Mariners sold Kikuchi and Boras on plan to limit innings in first year to help acclimate from Japanese routine of starting every 6-7 days. Want him to make 30-plus starts, but go with short start every 5 starts or so. Interesting concept.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Wait a second. So the Mariners traded Segura's 14.25 million AAV salaries away when Segura is only 28 years old and is a proven 4'ish WAR player. Meanwhile they turn around and, after adding in the posting fee, put themselves on the hook for even more money annually with a 27 year old pitcher who has not thrown a single pitch in MLB and has a history of shoulder problems. And then in the first press conference, basically admit they have to protect him by bullpen'ing one of his every five starts. That would limit him to 162 innings. So a 27 year old who has never pitched in the majors with shoulder problems who is already being put on a pretty low inning count brings more to the team than a 28 year old MLB proven All-Star shortstop that has OPS'ed .803 over the last three seasons.

But hey, this will extend their league-leading streak of having a Japanese player on the roster.

Wait a second. So the Mariners traded Segura's 14.25 million AAV salaries away when Segura is only 28 years old and is a proven 4'ish WAR player. Meanwhile they turn around and, after adding in the posting fee, put themselves on the hook for even more money annually with a 27 year old pitcher who has not thrown a single pitch in MLB and has a history of shoulder problems. And then in the first press conference, basically admit they have to protect him by bullpen'ing one of his every five starts. That would limit him to 162 innings. So a 27 year old who has never pitched in the majors with shoulder problems who is already being put on a pretty low inning count brings more to the team than a 28 year old MLB proven All-Star shortstop that has OPS'ed .803 over the last three seasons.

But hey, this will extend their league-leading streak of having a Japanese player on the roster.

This type of roster management makes me appreciate David Stearns. I know we all want to see the Brewers fill their holes, and some are getting impatient, but the moves that the Mariners have made so far are just ... weird.

Mariners likely offered the best deal. Having Ichiro as part of the Mariners organization was probably part of the decision making process but not at all the deciding factor. Kikuchi has said in interviews that Ichiro was his childhood hero.

Limiting his innings sounds smart.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Segura & Dee Gordon got into a nasty clubhouse brawl last September. I think there was more than $/WAR considerations involved in dealing Jean.

There's probably some opposing forces of DiPoto listening to management to [mostly] clear 2021 and beyond but DiPoto still getting some win-now guys, but I'd probably take Kikuchi (with the potential for long-term extension), Crawford, and any prospects gained from Encarnacion trade/potential tanking over age 30+ Segura in 2021.

Not a huge Crawford fan but I guess that's the [somewhat flawed] logic they've used here. They got something for Segura, shortened the long-term burden on his money, and got another asset that may (or may not) have as a long-term piece in Kikuchi.

Wait a second. So the Mariners traded Segura's 14.25 million AAV salaries away when Segura is only 28 years old and is a proven 4'ish WAR player. Meanwhile they turn around and, after adding in the posting fee, put themselves on the hook for even more money annually with a 27 year old pitcher who has not thrown a single pitch in MLB and has a history of shoulder problems.

Well one could look at it as getting younger and cheaper (Crawford) at SS. I don't know much about the Segura trade otherwise. But I assume they are judging that trade for 2020 and after results.

I assume the Mariners are a team that isn't too constrained by budget. So they can spend cash (no prospects) on this kid, baby him in 2019 when they aren't going to the postseason anyways, and Kikichu will be full go for 2020 and after when they probably try and win again. Also kind of look like they are trying while they are at it.

Several probable reasons:

1) Dipito is an idiot.

2) The season ticket sales have tanked since the trades and to try and appease an unhappy and $ important group they had to sign a FA to appease the "masses".

3) Dipito is a really big idiot. How this buffoon has a job is beyond me other than his propensity to spend most of his time 1 inch from the bosses ...

Archived