Brewer Fanatic

Rounds 31-40: 7 more HSers, including 4 RHPs and 2 catchers

Know your Canadian Province abbreviations!

Round 31: Kanekoa Texeira, HS RHP, R/R 6'2" 190 1986-02-06, Kamehameha (HI)

Round 32: Joel Needham, College RHP, R/R 6'3" 220 1981-08-16, U of California-Davis

Round 33: Luis Bernal, CC RHP, R/R 6'1" 195 1983-01-24, Pima CC (AZ)

Round 34: Krzysztof Dabrowieski, HS RHP, R/R 6'4" 200 1986-03-23, Ursula Franklin Academy (ON)

Round 35: Chris Copot, HS Catcher, L/R 6'2" 175 1986-12-13, John Diefenbaker (AB)

Round 36: Stephen Barnes, HS RHP, R/R 6'3" 215 1985-11-15, First Coast (FL)

Round 37: Sean McCraw, HS Catcher, L/R 6'0" 185 1986-03-11, Alvin (TX)

Round 38: Donald Jordat, HS RHP, R/R 6'2" 200 1985-10-03, Summit Christian (FL)

Round 39: Jeremy Bloor, CC LHP, R/L 6'1" 195 1984-07-26, Grand Rapids CC (MI)

Round 40: Chris Rickey, HS LHP, L/L 6'0" 180 1986-02-08, Reno (NV)

MLB.com on Kanekoa Texeira:

STRONG, ATHLETIC FRAME. EVENLY PROPORTIONED. BROAD, ROUNDED SHOULDERS. GOOD UPPER BODY STRENGTH. LONG DEFINED ARMS. SOLID THROUGH MIDDLE. CONDITIONED LOWER HALF. SIMILAR TO RICK REED. HIGH 3/4 DELIVERY. QUICK ARM, BORE LIFE W/ 2-SEAM FB. CHANCE TO BREAK WOOD BATS W/ FUTURE HEAVY FB. DECEPTIVE CIRCLE CHANGEUP, DARTS DOWN, IN & OUT, FUTURE PLUS PITCH. THROWS ON DOWNHILL PLANE. COMPETITOR. AGGRESSIVE APPROACH W/ MOUND PRESENCE.

Dipping into the BA notes once again:

Quote:
RHP Kaneoka Texeira made his case to be Hawaii's best talent when his fastball reached 92-93 mph in the fall, but he had a poor spring as his velocity fell into the mid-80s.

Skipping the round 32 pick from Davis, CA (since he's not listed in BA)

Also no info on pick # 33 from Arizona.

Pick # 34:

Quote:
RHP Kris Dabrowiecki, is a solidly built 6-foot-4, 190-pounds with a lot of upside. He pitched for the Canadian junior national team last summer and almost upset Cuba, tossing nine innings and allowing only three runs. He has a prototype pitcher's frame with room for added development. His fastball sits in the 86-91 mph range with good sink and tail when he stays on top of it, and he complements it with a slider and changeup. His mechanics need work and he struggles to repeat his release point.

MLB.com on Dabroweicki:

TALL. LARGE FRAME. WELL PROPORTIONED, ATHLETIC BUILD. SUPPLE. HIGH, SLIGHTLY SLOPED SHOULDERS. SHORT TORSO. EXTRA-LONG ARMS, LEGS. MUSCULAR THIGHS. BIG CALVES. ROOM FOR ADDED DEVELOPMENT. SIMILAR TO JEFF WEAVER. NO WINDUP, HIGH 3/4 DELIVERY. LONG ARC. LOOSE ARM. LIVE FB WHEN ON TOP, TAILS, SINKS, MOST 86. 3/4 ROTATION SLIDER, OCCASIONAL BITE, COMMANDS. STRAIGHT CHANGEUP, SINKS, FADES, KEEPS ARM SPEED. AROUND PLATE. PROJECTABLE PITCHERS BODY. ATHLETIC, AGILE. THROWS EASY. GETS HITTERS OUT.

MLB.com on Donald Jordat:

MEDIUM BUILD. SQUARE SHOULDERS. DURABLE FRAME. STRONG W/ ROOM FOR MORE. NO WINDUP, 3/4 ARM ACTION, SLIGHT HESITATION. SMALL TUCK ON DELIVERY. CLEAN ARM IN BACK. THROWS A HEAVY FB W/ SOME LATE MOVEMENT IN ZONE. 11 TO 5 CB, THROWN FOR STRIKES. DECEPTIVE CHANGEUP WHEN DOWN IN ZONE. GOOD MOUND PRESENCE. FIELDS POSITION WELL. DURALBLE PITCHER'S FRAME. PITCHES AT 89-90 ALL GAME, TOUCHES 91-92.

"Kamehameha's Texeira says he'll sign with Rainbows," Honolulu Advertiser, Byline Stacy Kaneshiro, November 19, 2003

Quote:
Kanekoa Texeira of state champion Kamehameha said yesterday he will sign a national letter of intent to play baseball for the University of Hawai'i.

The 6-foot, 195-pound right-handed pitcher said he will fax his letter to UH today, the last day of the early signing period.

"I liked the facilities and I like what the program has to offer," said Texeira, who is from Maui.

Texeira said he also had offers from Cal State-Fullerton and Arizona.

Texeira apparently had a strong showing at the Arizona Senior Fall Wood Classic, where he said scouts from the Seattle Mariners, Kansas City Royals, Baltimore Orioles and New York Yankees showed interest.

"He has a live arm," Kamehameha coach Vern Ramie said. "He's always had the potential and he's finally realizing that potential now."

Ramie said that Texeira got off to a slow start last year because of an ankle injury suffered from basketball season. Ramie said Texeira's game improved in time for the Interscholastic League of Honolulu and state baseball tournaments. He beat Waiakea, 7-5, in last year's state semifinals.

Texeira's best pitch is the fastball, which was consistently in the mid-80-mph range, Ramie said. But since then, Texeira has gained about 12 pounds and has seen his fastball top 92 mph at the Arizona Classic, Ramie said.

Other Hawai'i players expected to sign with UH are: pitchers Myles Ioane and Ronnie Loeffler of WaiAkea, pitcher Harrison Kuroda and outfielder Ryan Asato of Mid-Pacific, and catcher Aaron Asher of 'Aiea.

Also, at least two California high school players, Joe Spiers, a shortstop from Arrowhead Christian of Redlands, and Greg Burns, an outfielder from Walnut High, were expected to sign with UH.

Those players have told The Advertiser they had committed to UH.

Meanwhile, Waimea High third baseman Leonard Zalopany III, who said he had orally committed to UH, has decided he will not sign after all, citing a "misunderstanding."

He has been invited to the Perfect Game Showcase in Florida in January.

NCAA prohibits college coaches from commenting on recruits until after they sign letters of intent.

~Bill

"Aggie baseball reaps conference honors," The California Aggie, Byline Paul Publico, May 13, 2004

Quote:
Unheralded senior Joel Needham quietly compiled eight saves this season for the Aggies and has a legitimate shot at being picked up by a major league squad, according to Peters.

"I think Coultas should be a top-10 round selection and Tulk should be somewhere after that," Peters said. "Needham has gotten a lot of attention recently and he has a good shot at being drafted as well."

(good call, coach :) )

~Bill

"Elliott On Baseball Column," The Toronto Sun, Byline Bob Elliot, May 16, 2004

Quote:
RIGHT-HANDER Kris Dabrowiecki was the best of the prospects at two Major League Baseball scouting bureau's invitation only camps this week.

Roughly 30 scouts from 19 different teams attended the Thursday camp at Etobicoke's Connorvale Park and Wednesday's workout at Welland Stadium as the June amateur draft approaches.

The 6-foot-4 Dabrowiecki, who pitches for Team Ontario and Team Canada, had his fastball clocked at 88-90 m.p.h.

The Toronto righty has pitched in front of larger audiences in March against the minor leaguers at extended spring against the Philadelphia Phillies and the New York Mets.

Meanwhile, in Welland, infielder Steve Hornostaj of Waterloo and Burlington righty Tom Boleska, who pitches for the Hamilton Cardinals, were the best.

Aside from the draft-eligible players at the Connorvale camp, speedy outfielder Alex Borgo, released at the end of spring training by the Philadelphia Phillies, was impressive.

Borgo hit 17 homers for the UNLV Hustlin' Rebels in the spring of 2003 before signing and playing 41 games in the Phillies system.

The most interested parties watching were scouts from the Brewers and Blue Jays.

The Milwaukee contingent was headed by scouting legend Dick Groch, who signed Derek Jeter, Richard Clemons, Jay Lapp and Paul Solarski. On hand for the Jays were scouting director Jon LaLonde, Canadian scouting director Kevin Briand, John Milton and Sean McCann.

The onlookers, which included three cross checkers, was the best of the 2005 draftees: Toronto righty Troy Dawe, Richmond Hill's Jared Picchiottino and Georgetown catcher Justin Worby.

He is committed to play at Northeastern University next year.

~Bill

"Double The Pleasure," The Calgary Sun, Byline Ian Busby, July 30, 2003

Quote:
Chris Copot knows the importance of turning this double play.

Two national championships.

Two different sports.

One year.

It would be quite an achievement.

And Copot, the Calgary Centennial Reds catcher, is leading his team to Thunder Bay, Ont., for the possibility of becoming a rare two-sport champion.

He captured the Air Canada Championship as part of hockey's Calgary Northstars in late April.

Only three months after that tournament in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., does Copot realize just how big that accomplishment was.

"It just hit me a little while ago," Copot said.

"It took a long time for that to sink in and realize what I've done.

"Now, I've got another chance at one."

Copot's trying to use that experience to motivate his teammates as they travel to Thunder Bay for the Senior League national championships.

"I've been trying to tell these guys that it's just unbelievable if you win," Copot said. "It's impossible to explain the feeling."

The winner in Thunder Bay gets a berth into the Senior League World Series, Aug. 10-16 in Bangor, Me.

However, the Reds can get off to a good start today in their first game (2 p.m.) against a team from Prince George that Calgary has beat twice during tournaments this season.

Copot, a stay-at-home defenceman on the ice, prefers to take the same view of the baseball diamond in his catcher's position.

"I like to see the whole play," he said.

Both of Copot's positions are often thankless and pain-taking but this 16-year-old likes doing things the hard way.

During the final of the Prairie qualifier on Saturday, Copot helped break open a 1-1 game with the Regina Rebels by driving a ball over the right-field fence. But he deflects credit just like he dives in front of Reds ace pitcher Mike Southwood's sinker balls.

This Reds team has grown together from small boys and now Copot says they're seeing the benefits of years of hard work.

"We've been together for five or six years now," Copot said. "We've come a long way since we were 10-year- olds. It's great coaching, really."

Comparing the road to the national championships in hockey and baseball, Copot figures the Northstars were better off than the Reds are.

"This is going to be a little tougher. The prairie's for baseball are usually the weaker of the six qualifiers," he said.

"Hockey's not quite the same. It's going to be a bigger mountain to climb this time. I think we can do it, we got a good squad."

As for pulling off two in one year, Copot doesn't need any extra pressure.

"We don't need any jinxes. It's been in the back of my mind sure," he said. "But it's just one game at a time now."

~Bill

40th round LHP Chris Rickey out of a Reno, NV high school:

Reno High left-hander Chris Rickey was taken in the 40th round by the Milwaukee Brewers. Rickey, the 1,186th overall pick, was on vacation in Hawaii on Tuesday.

?I just found out I got drafted when I walked off the plane,? Rickey said. ?It?s pretty exciting.?

Rickey has already signed a letter of intent to attend the University of Nevada.

?I?m going to listen to what they (the Brewers) have to say,? Rickey said. ?I?ll talk it over with my family.?

Rickey said he would also consider going to a junior college next season so that he would be eligible to sign with the Brewers before next June?s draft as a draft-and-follow pick.

?I?m just going to see what they (the Brewers) say and make a decision when I get back,? he said.

Full article, which includes non-Brewer related news on Rickey's fellow Reno ballplayers, who were also drafted:

www.rgj.com/news/stories/...ews/sports

From a separate article:

Rickey, who is headed to the Nevada Wolf Pack next season, was 7-2 with a 3.28 ERA. The left-hander struck out 75 in 601/3 innings.

?Chris Rickey was an absolute warrior, a bulldog on the mound,? Savage said. ?On many staffs around the league he would have been the ace.?

On Jacksonville HS RHP Stephen Barnes, 36th round:

From the Florida Times-Union...

Barnes, a hard-throwing right-hander, posted an undefeated record in the regular season (8-0) before suffering his first loss against Fernandina Beach in the District 5-4A tournament. Barnes combines a fastball that can reach 90 mph with a sharp breaking ball. Buccaneers pitching coach Doug Corbett said Barnes will likely stick with a commitment to Lake City Community College and re-enter the draft next year.

"With a little more development, he could improve his stock tremendously -- I mean 10 rounds or more," said Corbett. "He's completely revamped his mechanics over the last two years, so he's still taking small steps. A year from now, he should be [at 90 mph] consistently, not just once in a while."

I see Texeira is from Kamehameha HS. After seeing the Brady Bunch episode where Greg got cursed by King Kamehmeha and almost died while surfing, I want nothing to do with this guy. A major arm injury waiting to happen.

I think Melvin was turned on by the word "Texeira."

Melvin: "Hey, I see Texeira is available. He's really good with the bat. I thought I drafted him already, though."

Jack Z.: "No, this is a different Texeira. He's a pitcher."

Melvin: "I know he can pitch, but he's a great third baseman. But I thought I drafted him already."

Jack Z.: "This is not Mark Texeria."

Melvin: "Doesn't he play for Georgia Tech?"

Jack Z.: "No, he plays in Hawaii."

Melvin: "Hawaii isn't in Georgia."

Jack Z.: "..."

Melvin: "So... why don't we draft him? We need a third baseman."

Jack Z.: "Yes."

Melvin: "Is he Canadian too? That would be great."

Jack Z.: "Sure, why not. If we draft him, can you go get me some pizza? There's this great place in Illinois."

Archived