Brewer Fanatic

Miller Park PA Announcer: Changes coming in 2019 (Robb's last game 9/8/2019)

hawing

Adam McCalvy passed on the following earlier this week:

Some Miller Park news: Longtime PA announcer Robb Edwards, the voice from above since the Brewers’ County Stadium days, will scale back to 20-25 games in 2019. The team is in the process of reviewing candidates for the rest of the schedule.

Clearly this is a bigger deal to Brewers fans who frequent Miller Park than to those farther flung. But man, this is only the (start of the) second changing of the guard at the PA mic since 1976, when Bob Betts took over. That in itself is significant to me.

As much as I hate to point it out, Robb seemed to experience some decline in the past season or so - in terms of getting names wrong and the like. Lane Grindle took the mic for most if not all of the 2018 postseason games; at the time, the explanation was that Robb had badly injured his knee, but now I wonder just a bit about that.

I'll miss Robb, but I'm also intrigued by who might take his place.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I remember a young and spry Robb Edwards when he had a radio show in Milwaukee.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I remember a young and spry Robb Edwards when he had a radio show in Milwaukee.

Yes, it was odd to hear Robb at the stadium after hearing him on the radio for so may years.

But I also remember being able to go to the bathroom and make it back to my seat in the amount of time it took Bob Betts to say names like "Billy Jo Robidoux".

Bob Betts was legendary. John JA ha
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I believe Robb had a heart attack and subsequent quadruple bypass ten years ago. I was surprised to see that he was 71. I’m betting he’s not willing to retire completely, but wants to enjoy more time off at this point. Hopefully it’s that and not a major health issue.

Man, I would love to apply for that job.

Bob Betts was a legend.

Robb, well, I've only heard him a handful of times when I've been up there (or on TV, sometimes.) He seemed pretty good, too.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

No one's booming & slightly drawn out "Drive... Home... Safely..." can ever beat Bob Betts' daily sign-off to each game's attendees.

At the end of Badger football and men's basketball games, you'll hear PA announcer Mike Mahnke say it, in direct tribute to Mr. Betts.

• 8 months later...

Tom Haudricourt tweeted tonight that Robb's last game behind the PA mic will be Sunday (September 8):

#Brewers announce Miller Park PA announcer Robb Edwards will work his final game tomorrow and throw out ceremonial first pitch. Team is dedicating its scoreboard control room in his honor. Congrats to Robb for a long and fantastic career. He will be missed in the press box.

Having attended about half of the Brewers' home games this season, I can verify that it's been about 1/4 of the games that Robb has called this season. I'm glad we're going tomorrow and sitting near the press box. Maybe I'll make him a sign.

Whenever I'm at a game, whenever a guy is announced for the Brewers I think of how Betts would announce it. I grew up with him so I'm a bit nostalgic. How he would call Yount, Vaughn, Molitor....it was awesome. And I always remember..."please report to the fan assistance center"

Whenever I'm at a game, whenever a guy is announced for the Brewers I think of how Betts would announce it. I grew up with him so I'm a bit nostalgic. How he would call Yount, Vaughn, Molitor....it was awesome. And I always remember..."please report to the fan assistance center"

For those of you who attend Wisconsin Badgers events with Mike Mahnke at the PA mic (First and 10, WISCONSIN! / RONNNN DAAAAAAYNE / etc.)...when he says "Drive! Home! Safely! Thank you!" at the end, it's in specific tribute to Bob Betts. :)

Bob Betts saying Billy Jo Robidoux is still a personal favorite

That one and John Jaha were my personal favorites.

Archived