Brewer Fanatic

Marquette Basketball 2018 -19

nate82
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Big East has pretty much become a low-major conference, by definition. They are at the bottom of the major conf list. ACC is at the top, so VA Tech is definitely on a higher level than Marquette.

LOL are you serious? They had one bad year this past year, most teams were rebuilding, Nova had previously won 2 of the past 3 national championships. When is the last time a BigTentwelvefourtheen? team won the national championship? Michigan State in 2000, they must be a low major conference because they cannot win.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Big East has pretty much become a low-major conference, by definition. They are at the bottom of the major conf list. ACC is at the top, so VA Tech is definitely on a higher level than Marquette.

LOL are you serious? They had one bad year this past year, most teams were rebuilding, Nova had previously won 2 of the past 3 national championships. When is the last time a BigTentwelvefourtheen? team won the national championship? Michigan State in 2000, they must be a low major conference because they cannot win.

I agree with that. Big EastMidwestPlainsStates had a down year. They are typically top three or four in the country.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Championship team has very little to do with the strength of the overall conference, of course. RPI ranking below for the 6 majors. Big East 5 out of 6, so yes they are low-major conference by definition. Can they bounce into the mid-major category? Sure, but they're not there right now.

Big 12

ACC

Big 10

SEC

Big East

PAC 12

I never argued that the acc is not a better conference than the big east. That doesn’t mean that Virginia tech is a better job than Marquette. By your logic you would say that wake forest is a better job than Villanova.

Championship team has very little to do with the strength of the overall conference, of course. RPI ranking below for the 6 majors. Big East 5 out of 6, so yes they are low-major conference by definition. Can they bounce into the mid-major category? Sure, but they're not there right now.

Big 12

ACC

Big 10

SEC

Big East

PAC 12

2017-18 RPI Rankings:

Big 12

Big East SEC

ACC

Big Ten

Pac12

the big ten must be a mid-major conference

2016-17

ACC

Big 12

Big East

little 10

SEC

pac 12

2015-16

Big 12

ACC

Pac-12

Big East

little 10

SEC

Do you want me to keep going?

If you want. You're doing a great job of proving the Big East is declining from previous years. I'm sure if you go back a few years Big East was #1 or 2.

There was a lot of off the court incidents during buzz’s time that I think gave boosters concern. You will notice that since Wojo took over there hasn’t been a single reported one.

You are absolutely correct. Also, Wojo hasn't won an NCAA March Madness tournament game yet.

I’m surprised he doesn’t get more pushback for this, but he hasn’t. Say what you want about buzz he got them into the sweet 16 pretty consistently. My statement wasn’t pro or anti wojo, just stating facts. Personally I think wojo (or more likely Stan Johnson) is a great recruiter and an average at best in game coach.

I've said it earlier, but yea Wojo doesn't seem to have mojo. And I'm impartial, I'm neither a fan or enemy of MU. I don't see them play a ton, but it just seems they don't have an identity. As a layer wojo was the proverbial scrapper, and they don't play like that. They seem very, very soft but maybe I'm wrong.

That article that was posted above you definitely seems to disagree.

And by what definition are you using?

2016-17

ACC

Big 12

Big East

little 10

SEC

pac 12

2015-16

Big 12

ACC

Pac-12

Big East

little 10

SEC

Well this went from an actual interesting read to an obnoxious, childish thread with people making stupid absolute statements and the most pathetic insults that you really don't expect to see outside of a playground.

The "little 10?" Is that really your definition of clever? I'm sure the really funny one "Viqueens" just has your stomach hurting.

I really can't stand this stupid, fictional "rivalry" between Wisconsin and Marquette. They play each other once a year and don't see each other otherwise. The skewed attacks on the conferences they play in are even dumber. You can cherry pick whatever you want to support your arguments.

Play nice, guys.
I never meant for this to be anything more than a discussion on perceptions of the Marquette job. It has nothing to do with the big 10 or Wisconsin. I’ll stand by my first statement that Marquette is a better job than Virginia tech. They did hire a mid major coach who is not an up and comer, which only helps my point.

I agree we don’t need to be comparing conferences as it’s a cyclical arguement.

2016-17

ACC

Big 12

Big East

little 10

SEC

pac 12

2015-16

Big 12

ACC

Pac-12

Big East

little 10

SEC

Well this went from an actual interesting read to an obnoxious, childish thread with people making stupid absolute statements and the most pathetic insults that you really don't expect to see outside of a playground.

The "little 10?" Is that really your definition of clever? I'm sure the really funny one "Viqueens" just has your stomach hurting.

I really can't stand this stupid, fictional "rivalry" between Wisconsin and Marquette. They play each other once a year and don't see each other otherwise. The skewed attacks on the conferences they play in are even dumber. You can cherry pick whatever you want to support your arguments.

I'm the one that turned it into an obnoxious thread with stupid absolute statements because of changing "Big 10" to "little 10" not FV calling the Big East a low-major conference, then when I was pointing out facts showing that they are not, he just dismisses my facts? I'm sorry you can get worked up over changing one word. Talk about hypocrisy.

Yes, I'm a MU guy, but I am not happy with the state of the program right now. It is incredibly frustrating that Wojo has 0 tournament wins in 5 years, and his butt better be rather hot right now, but I am glad to see MU is ranked in the 10 top in basically every "Way too early" top 25 that all the national media are releasing.

I'm the one that turned it into an obnoxious thread with stupid absolute statements because of changing "Big 10" to "little 10" not FV calling the Big East a low-major conference

One of those seems obnoxious and childish to me. The other seems like an opinion.

I think if Howard comes back Marquette should be in the discussion of top teams. Are any of you concerned that when he was awful the last monthish they had a hard time beating anyone? The rest of the team just seemed...non existent.

Well, I don't want to hijack this thread any longer, but feel the need to clarify. IMHO, and the opinion of many others, there are six major conferences. The Big East is slowly going down every year. Villanova with their championships really helps them recruit obviously, or the conf would be a solid 6 out of 6. As it stands, they are 5th. That's why I mean, by definition, Big East is a low-Major. I could say bottom major, but that sounds too negative.

That's why I feel VA Tech is a better job than MU. It's not like the difference between Duke and UWM, but to me VA Tech is pretty clearly the better job.

FWIW, describing conferences has bothered me for years because words mean things. Everyone refers to Horizon League as a mid-major, when it's not a major conference. If anything, it's a mid or low minor conference.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Locking this one. We will start a new thread for '19 - '20.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived