Brewer Fanatic

Marquette Basketball 2018 -19

nate82
Downfall for Marquette will be they have so little depth or ability to score off bench. You really have Howard & the Hausers who will score and not much else. When it comes tourney time against teams like Duke who have that depth, it will be tough. It’s awesome to see them playing so well & Howard is an elite college talent!

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Downfall for Marquette will be they have so little depth or ability to score off bench. You really have Howard & the Hausers who will score and not much else. When it comes tourney time against teams like Duke who have that depth, it will be tough. It’s awesome to see them playing so well & Howard is an elite college talent!

Duke has three players averaging more than 10 points a game. Same with Marquette.

Duke has six players averaging 5.5 points a game or more. Same with Marquette.

Only difference is that Duke has two players averaging more than 20ppg and Marquette has one.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The Big East is really bad this year. You've got Villanova and Marquette and that's about it. MU's best win this year could be Wisconsin @ home. I'd be shocked if the BE winner gets a two seed. I'm thinking 3 or 4 is more likely.

I don’t think this is true at all. Depaul and St. John’s are the best they’ve been in years. Xavier is down quite a bit, but still a threat. Villanova has regrouped after losing all of the stars. Seton Hall, Butler, creighton, and Providence are always capable of winning on any given night. There is no bad team this year… No Penn State, Illinois, or Rutgers for comparison. The league is down a bit, due to attrition. However the reason the league doesn’t look impressive is there are no bottom feeders everyone is beating. So we should have four or five ranked teams next year as the teams gain maturity. Marquette is likely only losing Chartouny and Heldt.

KenPom has Big East ranked 5th in the nation.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The Big East is really bad this year. You've got Villanova and Marquette and that's about it. MU's best win this year could be Wisconsin @ home. I'd be shocked if the BE winner gets a two seed. I'm thinking 3 or 4 is more likely.

I don’t think this is true at all. Depaul and St. John’s are the best they’ve been in years. Xavier is down quite a bit, but still a threat. Villanova has regrouped after losing all of the stars. Seton Hall, Butler, creighton, and Providence are always capable of winning on any given night. There is no bad team this year… No Penn State, Illinois, or Rutgers for comparison. The league is down a bit, due to attrition. However the reason the league doesn’t look impressive is there are no bottom feeders everyone is beating. So we should have four or five ranked teams next year as the teams gain maturity. Marquette is likely only losing Chartouny and Heldt.

KenPom has Big East ranked 5th in the nation.

yes, so they aren't really bad. They're not the 2nd or 3rd best league like in recent seasons, but the 5th. What really is hurting the Big East is the parity from 3-10. If Butler or Providence were a little better than the pack, we'd be talking about them having 3 very good teams and 7 solid ones.

Yes, it is pretty bad. Remember, after all the moving around there are only 6 major conferences left. So 5th out of 6 is nothing to hang your hat on. Also, if you're using KenPom to support your views on Marquette, they have them ranked 25.

Marquette is better this year, but they are also seeing a huge benefit from the conference being down. Even Nova isn't the powerhouse they have been. Even those middle of the pack teams frankly aren't very good. We can say IF Providence, Xavier, Creighton, etc. were better things would be different. Well....yea...of course. But they're not.

• 2 weeks later...

Marquette a 3 seed in the East?

Wisconsin also with a 4 seed in the Midwest. Not sure if Wisconsin will fall after their loss today to Michigan.

East (Washington, D.C.): (1) Duke, (2) Michigan, (3) Marquette, (4) Iowa State

South (Louisville): (1) Tennessee, (2) North Carolina, (3) Purdue, (4) Nevada

Midwest (Kansas City): (1) Virginia, (2) Kentucky, (3) Houston, (4) Wisconsin

West (Anaheim): (1) Gonzaga, (2) Michigan State, (3) Kansas, (4) Louisville

From: https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-02-09/march-madness-top-16-teams-revealed-season-look-ncaa

Was at the 'Nova game. Big win.

It's not often you see a team down 1 not even get a shot off when they have the ball with 12 seconds left.

Really shocked me how quiet the place was during a really close game. Comparing it to games I had gone to at the Kohl Center it was night and day.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

• 2 weeks later...
Marquette is out in front of the BE standings right now. Got some tough games coming up though. They've had some offensive struggles in the first half of games lately - that's a tad concerning. Not sure if they're coming out flat or just missing shots (seems to be the latter).

what a great 2nd half for Marquette. Cain and Morrow provided a nice jolt in the 1st half. Then Marquette played great in the 2nd

I agree. They played well. I especially appreciated that they decided to win by 10. :)

why's that? so they covered the line? I think it was 6.5.

Marquette is out in front of the BE standings right now. Got some tough games coming up though. They've had some offensive struggles in the first half of games lately - that's a tad concerning. Not sure if they're coming out flat or just missing shots (seems to be the latter).

teams are playing very physical defense and chasing Howard around with their fastest defenders. They need John and the Hausers to start setting the tone early to free up Markus.

what a great 2nd half for Marquette. Cain and Morrow provided a nice jolt in the 1st half. Then Marquette played great in the 2nd

I agree. They played well. I especially appreciated that they decided to win by 10. :)

why's that? so they covered the line? I think it was 6.5.

True, but they could have won...by say, 6 and it would have been bad.

Also, kind of sketchy, my buddy took Marquette as well, but his guy told him 9. It would have been interesting had Marquette won by 7, 8, or 9.

Today was wonderful. Before going to bed in Vegas Friday, my buddies asked me what the line for Marquette was. We speculated it'd be -6 or so. When we saw -3, we were ecstatic. Today we actually got the game at -2.5. One guy in our group was 6-0-1 today. My day started off well, and finished nicely with the WCC games (SCU 1h, St. Mary's 1h, 2h, and game, and Zags 1h, 2h, and game).

Marquette is definitely out front for the BE title and controls their own fate for it. They can even afford to slip up at Nova this week and still win it outright. Granted, I don't think the BE is great this year, but it's still a nice accomplishment and I think the league is slightly better than it gets credit for.

Marquette is definitely out front for the BE title and controls their own fate for it. They can even afford to slip up at Nova this week and still win it outright. Granted, I don't think the BE is great this year, but it's still a nice accomplishment and I think the league is slightly better than it gets credit for.

It is better than it gets credit for. It's the only league in D1 where every team has an overall record >.500.

Mine shows the opposite. Started at 3.5 and is now at 5.

last night ESPN was showing +3.5 Today MGM shows it opened at -5 and remains there. I was a little off on my guess, but Nova is a good team playing in a tough environment. Hopefully Markus is healthy.

Lost one game and took a huge drop in the polls. Reality that Big East is just not a good conference this year, period. That doesn't mean winning the conference gets an asterisk, still a big accomplishment for them if they can do it.

Archived