Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Sign Cory Spangenberg

ThisIsMyCrew

One thing I hadn’t realized previously, Cory Spangenberg had the 17th best average home to first sprint speed in MLB last season with 3.78 seconds to 1B. That would have ranked 1st on the Brewers. Christian Yelich ranked #22 in MLB last year at 3.81 seconds and Lorenzo Cain was tied for #68 at 3.88 seconds.

HZUuIbO.jpg

EDIT: Ben Gamel ranked 42nd in MLB last season at an average of 3.84 seconds from home to first base.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
Not good for Saladino when Wes Wilson and Nate Orf make it over him.

I am of the belief that Tyler Saladino and Tyrone Taylor are likely the first ones off the 40 man if a signing/acquisition occurs.

Spangenburg is a better hitter than Saladino and can play both INF and OF.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I am of the belief that Tyler Saladino and Tyrone Taylor are likely the first ones off the 40 man if a signing/acquisition occurs.

Spangenburg is a better hitter than Saladino and can play both INF and OF.

I get it with Saladino, but they seem pretty high on Taylor. I would imagine Aaron Wilkerson and maybe Jake Petricka would be lower on the totem pole than Taylor.

I don't think either of those guys are making it. I assumed this would be the 12 offensive guys on opening day:

Cain

Yelich

Aguilar

Braun

Moustakas

Grandal

Arcia

Shaw

Perez

Piña

Thames

Gamel

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

• 4 months later...

so, the brewers had plans to select his contract and activate cory spangenberg yesterday, but didn't. spangenberg had flown to washington on saturday.

the extra-inning marathon likely nixed those plans. with a day off in each of the next two weeks before roster expansion, who would've been cut from the 25-man, and what would the corresponding 40-man move been? would the brewers have stuck with a 13-man pitching staff?

i'm thinking the brewers intended to keep a 13-man staff, and planned to option orlando arcia, knowing that his option wouldn't be burned if they recalled him within 19 days during september roster expansion, and one of tyler saladino, troy stokes, jr. or tyrone taylor designated for assignment.

your thoughts?

My first thought was Arcia going down and rolling with a Spangenberg/Perez platoon at short until Sept.

Why would the marathon game have mattered to that decision? It's independent of the pitching moves and he went 0/6 in that game.

What I can think of would be Arcia was going to stay up even with Spangenberg up, but instead needed to grab Wilkerson.

My first thought was Arcia going down and rolling with a Spangenberg/Perez platoon at short until Sept.

Why would the marathon game have mattered to that decision? It's independent of the pitching moves and he went 0/6 in that game.

I didn’t really say it did? I just know the Brewers typically keep 13 pitchers, so when I heard that Spangenberg was pulled out of San Antonio’s lineup I assumed he’d be coming up to replace a position player, Arcia being the most obvious choice.

the brewers just have too many pitchers on the disabled list to risk removing wilkerson from the roster at this point in order to add a position player to the 40-man. couple that with the fact that the additions of trent grisham and hernan perez came at the expense of removing two pitchers from the 40-man roster.

maybe we'll never know whose fate(s) were spared on sunday.

We know what we have in Wilkerson.

I'd cut him now and not think twice about it. Give someone else a shot. Wilkerson is only a bullet taker at this point.

He has no future with this organization, none.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Agree regarding Wilkerson, if they really need somebody in an emergency call up Williams, Faria is eligible in a couple of days as well then September rolls around and Black/Peralta can come up with Nelson/Suter likely as well. They are trying to make the playoffs, replace Wilkerson with Luke Barker if need be, he isn't exactly young either and has been dominant in the minors.

We know what we have in Wilkerson.

I'd cut him now and not think twice about it. Give someone else a shot. Wilkerson is only a bullet taker at this point.

He has no future with this organization, none.

Yeah, through the end of June I was thinking I still want to see what Wilkerson could do if he had a few more shots. He has had those shots. Don't need to see anymore. No need to keep a 40 man spot for him.

Archived