Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Sign Cory Spangenberg

ThisIsMyCrew
Solid depth signing, with the hope that a guy who is in his peak years finds an offensive breakout. Obviously the pedigree is there being a former high 1st rounder.

A first-rounder only in technicality as I recall him being a pure "signability" pick, and the last top-10 pure "signability" pick before the bonus pool rules were implemented in 2012. This was the Padres comp pick from not signing Karsten Whitson the year before (colossal mistake by Whitson to not sign) so they had to draft someone who would sign or they lost the pick. Similar to Jed Bradley, who was the Brewers comp pick for not signing Dylan Covey the year before, a pick who had to sign or be lost.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems fine but nothing to get excited about as he's probably just mediocre filler. low cost, tons of versatility, good splits vs righties to play the big platoon at 2B. That said, if we're playing Perez vs lefties at 2B then Shaw is playing almost every game vs lefties. Or at least one of Spangenberg or Shaw is playing. Not ideal but possibly fixed once Huira is up

I would have much preferred Solarte in the same role of insurance for Thames being moved. Spangenburg is just another strikeout machine. Might as well have signed Matt Davidson. At least he provides plus power.

Spangenberg is Brad Miller all over again.

It's different in that he costs next to nothing and we still have plenty of opportunity to make a better move.

Counsell has no problem pulling players for match-ups, so Spangenberg could be a good fit for the Brewers. He should not ever hit against lefties, but has a career .271/.331/.423/.754 line against righties. With the ability to play all over the field, he makes tons of sense for the Counsell-led Crew.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

He was actually pretty good platoon option in 2017; 811 OPS vs RH. He should not ever face a LH though. Going into 2019 he will be 28 so it is not unreasonable for him to repeat that.

Hopefully, as others have stated, this is a depth signing. He has that one option left, so that is extremely valuable to the brewers.. I'm sure we will see him up and down throughout the year.

Signing LeMahieu or Dozier to a multi-year contract with Hiura so close doesn't seem likely. As a result, this makes me believe that the Brewers anticipate opening 2019 with Perez/Spangenberg as the 2B platoon, with Hiura coming as soon as he clears Super 2 eligibility.

I am starting to think this way. Unless one of the other 2B options doesn't get any good multi year offers and is willing to take a higher value 1 year deal to prove it and try again next year on the market.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Signing LeMahieu or Dozier to a multi-year contract with Hiura so close doesn't seem likely. As a result, this makes me believe that the Brewers anticipate opening 2019 with Perez/Spangenberg as the 2B platoon, with Hiura coming as soon as he clears Super 2 eligibility.

I am starting to think this way. Unless one of the other 2B options doesn't get any good multi year offers and is willing to take a higher value 1 year deal to prove it and try again next year on the market.

It's certainly possible that they start to look at the 2nd tier options such as Neil Walker, Logan Forsythe or Brandon Phillips. My hope is still Marwin Gonzalez, though, if they aren't looking toward LeMahieu.

I would have much preferred Solarte in the same role of insurance for Thames being moved. Spangenburg is just another strikeout machine. Might as well have signed Matt Davidson. At least he provides plus power.

It's different in that he costs next to nothing and we still have plenty of opportunity to make a better move.

Solarte will very likely cost next-to-next-to-nothing. There are a lot of aspects that go into a signing like this though other than a quick look at their stats and the slight difference in cash. As an internet armchair GM I still don't like it.

Nothing is preventing them from getting Solarte or anyone else.

Spagenberg may not even be on the MLB roster. If he is, it's realistic for him to hit .825 OPS vs RHP- not bad at all. I don't have time to look, but I bet that's way better than the production they got last year out of 2B vs RHP.

Spagenberg may not even be on the MLB roster. If he is, it's realistic for him to hit .825 OPS vs RHP- not bad at all. I don't have time to look, but I bet that's way better than the production they got last year out of 2B vs RHP.

Exactly. We could make 10 signings like this if we wanted, including Solarte. None of this is guaranteed. I guess it's possible the minor league portion is guaranteed but 10 of those would cost all of $2-3 million. All you need to do is hit on one and it's a huge win. I can understand being annoyed if this is all we did at the 2b position. But this 1 move as a stand-alone move really should not be viewed negatively by anybody.

Solarte will very likely cost next-to-next-to-nothing. There are a lot of aspects that go into a signing like this though other than a quick look at their stats and the slight difference in cash. As an internet armchair GM I still don't like it.

Solarte also has 1yr less control, is a slightly below average defender compared to Spangenberg being average (DRS), has 3yrs straight of declining production and is several years older. Matt Davidson is a corner IF. We don't need a corner IF. He also typically hits 30pts less (both BA and OBP) than Spangenberg.

Here's my perspective on the signing. The Brewers 2b position hit 227/290/668 last year so anything above that is an improvement. Perez is coming off his 3rd straight year of offensive decline and he had 130 fewer PAs from 2017 to 2018. If Arcia is solid offensively then him, Shaw, Aguilar, Hiura (once up) aren't coming out of the game so the bat on the bench becomes more important than the glove, which is why I think Perez is traded between now and the deadline as his value lies on the defensive versatility side. And we'll still be covered on the bench with Dubon, Spangenberg, Saladino in backup roles.

Spangenberg had a down year in 2018 but previously he was consistently slashing 265/325/725, which happens to essentially be what NL 2b averaged last year. His BB rate is also 3-3.5% better than Perez. I'd bank on him bouncing back closer to his pre-2018 numbers plus his exit velo/hard hit % have increased year over year since 2016. That's a pretty decent upgrade offensively at both the 2b spot and over Perez while still filling in at 3b/LF. 2yrs cheap control and a lefty. Good depth sign that doesn't prevent them from improving the 2b/depth spots even more. Saladino/Spangenberg can be solid pieces over the next couple years and cheaper than Perez.

A versatile LHB, with an option year remaining, for very little money, and with another year of control via arbitration. Young enough for there to be a possibility of improvement. It's a decent move even if that doesn't happen, but has potential upside. If it doesn't pan out, he stays in the minors for depth costing $250k. Very little downside to it.

And remains to be seen what other moves are made. Agree that it's a possibility Hernan is traded, and we'll have to see about Thames. With Gamel also coming that's two lefty bats added.

Exactly. We could make 10 signings like this if we wanted, including Solarte. None of this is guaranteed. I guess it's possible the minor league portion is guaranteed but 10 of those would cost all of $2-3 million. All you need to do is hit on one and it's a huge win. I can understand being annoyed if this is all we did at the 2b position. But this 1 move as a stand-alone move really should not be viewed negatively by anybody.

Besides whatever his bench role for the Brewers could turn out to be, if Spangenberg only ends up in San Antonio, there's still legit value in having capable depth with MLB experience down at AAA.

• 2 weeks later...
Spangenberg excited to get ‘fresh start’ with Brewers

Several quotes within, physical still pending...

This is one of those under the radar moves with some real upside. Spangenberg is not without some pedigree. He was a 10th overall pick, and a consensus top 100 prospect at one time. In Miller Park, his bat may play.

Spangenberg excited to get ‘fresh start’ with Brewers

Several quotes within, physical still pending...

This is one of those under the radar moves with some real upside. Spangenberg is not without some pedigree. He was a 10th overall pick, and a consensus top 100 prospect at one time. In Miller Park, his bat may play.

I agree. Spangenberg hit .289/.355/.457 vs RHP in 2017 & .261/.332/.393 vs RHP in 2018. He struggles mightily vs LHP

Hernan Perez hit .239/.282/.330 vs RHP in 2018 & .241/.272/.405 vs RHP in 2017.

It is entirely possible that Spangenberg is merely AAAA depth, and depending on what other moves are made that may be true. But I think, similar to bringing in Ben Gamel, the Brewers are looking at Spangenberg as a way to improve production vs RHP.

Perez had 209 plate appearances vs RHP in 2018, and, considering the .282 OBP, I'm guessing Stearns & Co consider that way too many at bats given away. Perez can hit LHP, he has value. Spangenberg is a much better option vs RHP ...

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I'm hardly sold on Spangenberg, but by the Dodgers series it became increasingly obvious -- and painfully so -- that the Brewers' mostly RH bench had no real threats beyond Santana, especially with Thames in an endless 2nd-half slump.

That Spangenberg could be one of a few less-glitzy additions that improves the bench's overall offensive contributions is reason enough not to pass initial judgement on signing him.

And if he doesn't pan out, at least he has an option remaining so we're not at risk of losing him if we try to get him down to AAA to get him PT or hitting better.

I'm hardly sold on Spangenberg, but by the Dodgers series it became increasingly obvious -- and painfully so -- that the Brewers' mostly RH bench had no real threats beyond Santana, especially with Thames in an endless 2nd-half slump.

Do you view him as a threat though?

I don't, and I doiubt our opponents will either.

I think he is a depth signing, nothing more.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I think most likely he's a depth signing and I hope that still-to-come transactions ensure that.

If he turns out to be more than that AND proves productive, it's a bonus... and very possibly because he gets some chances in MIL and perpetuates or improves on his not-trashy career BA vs. RHP.

I see him as a supplement to Perez on the bench. A bench of Kratz/Nottingham, Spangenberg, Perez, Boxton, and Gamel would be balanced and able to cover everything.

All the Crew needs to do at this point is find takers for Anderson and Thames.

Archived