Brewer Fanatic

Scooter Gennett for 2019?

Ken Rosenthal reported earlier today that the Reds are interested in moving Scooter Gennett. A later report said they were not "actively shopping" him. Which is code for "sure we're shopping him but don't want to lose our leverage in negotiations."

Depending on the trade pieces involved I'd be very interested in bringing Scooter back for one year (there's one more year of control before free agency). I'm not as optimistic as many that Keston Hiura will be a key contributor in 2019 and this would give him another year to develop his defensive chops in the minors.

While there are quality 2B's on the FA market, I'd prefer not to go more than one year on any of them and the better 2B's are going to get multi-year deals.

I'd be open to it pending cost. I don't think I'd want to give up much to get him though. He's definitely a good fit at least initially, though again I'm of the belief that Hiura is very likely not only to be a Brewers by May/June...but to be hitting somewhere in the top 5 of the batting order consistently by August. And that won't be because our offense is struggling, it will be because he's straight mashing.

Why give up any prospect capital when you can sign someone instead? The stop gap should be a FA or someone within the organization already. Now if they move Keston for a premier pitcher than maybe you trade for a 2b.

The good FA 2B's are going to get multi-year deals and I'd prefer to get a quality one year bridge for Hiura.

Why give up any prospect capital when you can sign someone instead? The stop gap should be a FA or someone within the organization already. Now if they move Keston for a premier pitcher than maybe you trade for a 2b.

The good FA 2B's are going to get multi-year deals and I'd prefer to get a quality one year bridge for Hiura.

Are they though? Most of the top guys are either coming off down years, old or both. Guys like Dozier, Walker, Murphy and Kinsler aren't going to command more than 2 years guaranteed most likely. Cabrera might not either.

If I could get Dozier on a 1 year deal I'd do that in a heartbeat. I suspect he's going to get a multi-year deal though.

He might actually be one of the guys that takes a one year deal to hopefully have a bounce back year so he can get a multi-year deal next offseason. I don't think teams are going to be lining up to give a 32 year old early next season who just hit .215/.305/.391 a multi-year contract. The number of options at 2B help the teams and hurt the players on prices. Don't like our price? Fine, we'll just go to the next guy until somebody takes our one year offer.

Why give up any prospect capital when you can sign someone instead? .

Depends on how much prospect capital. I would look into it, because he is short term and a lefty bat.

Not directed at you specifically but I hear this about lefty bats a lot and I don't understand the infatuation with lefty bats. We still have Shaw, potentially Thames, and Yelich.

When Moose was here I think you could argue we were TOO left handed. That did not help against LHP heavy teams like the Dodgers in the NLCS.

Still don't trust Scooter enough to meet their likely asking price. There's a reason we let him go in the first place even after having shown flashes of being good.

What more would Scooter have to do to earn your trust? Home & road BA have both been very respectable in his two years in CIN. Last year he finally hit LHP quite well, and his overall results both years have been very solid.

Personally I don't care if he's a power hitter or not. He's turned out to be every bit the good hitter.

I also realize your point was not trusting him enough to meet the Reds' likely asking price, not just not trusting him in general. But the root issue is still not trusting him.

My own bottom line is that while I think Scooter would help MIL right now, I don't think you give up a ton for him with Hiura - not to mention also Dubon - on the horizon unless the point is to flip him again later, which I don't think makes sense -- why bother getting him in the first place when what you give up to get him could well be more than you get in return. . . . Scooter's a good hitter & ballplayer but trying to get him, while sounding good on the surface, just doesn't seem to me to make good big-picture baseball or business sense.

Something tells me that Scooter would not be thrilled to return to Milwaukee...

Who could blame him? Going back to the organization that threw him out with the trash wouldn't be the highest priority on my list either.

As much as I'd love to have him back, I don't see any situation where it would be realistic.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Who could blame him? Going back to the organization that threw him out with the trash wouldn't be the highest priority on my list either.

As much as I'd love to have him back, I don't see any situation where it would be realistic.

Plus, all GMs have egos. Even Stearns, even though he's been better than most when it comes to admitting his mistakes. Going out and trading something of value to get Gennett back would be some pretty big egg on the face for a guy who gave him away for nothing 1 1/2 years ago. I understood the move to get rid of Gennett at the time, but it has turned into some pretty crap irony that his bat since then is exactly the type of bat that may have put them over the top.

Jon Heyman of Fancred Sports reports that the Yankees and Reds had discussions about a possible Scooter Gennett trade.

Heyman cautions that he's "not sure how much there is to it." The fit makes some sense, as Gennett could play second base while Gleyber Torres slides over to shortstop to cover for Didi Gregorius (elbow). For what it's worth, Mark Sheldon of MLB.com has reported that the Reds are "not actively looking to move" Gennett.

Source: Jon Heyman on TwitterDec 10 - 6:29 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Plus, all GMs have egos. Even Stearns, even though he's been better than most when it comes to admitting his mistakes. Going out and trading something of value to get Gennett back would be some pretty big egg on the face for a guy who gave him away for nothing 1 1/2 years ago. I understood the move to get rid of Gennett at the time, but it has turned into some pretty crap irony that his bat since then is exactly the type of bat that may have put them over the top.

All of this, AND the Reds being in the division makes this a complete non-starter.

Completely disagree. I don't believe for a second Stearns would let that sway him at all- period. He is a very logical guy, and understands you can't make decisions based on what you did yesterday. That said, I agree with all the other reasons mentioned by everybody why this move is extremely unlikely.

Something tells me that Scooter would not be thrilled to return to Milwaukee.

He liked it here and I seriously doubt he is mad or has anything against us. We literally let him go to have a chance at a full time job. He should be happy we did what we did. He is a bright guy and admitted in an interview it made sense what we did.

That being said pretty sure Stearns already shot down this idea.

Completely disagree. I don't believe for a second Stearns would let that sway him at all- period. He is a very logical guy, and understands you can't make decisions based on what you did yesterday. That said, I agree with all the other reasons mentioned by everybody why this move is extremely unlikely.

I don't disagree with you, and it would be awesome to see Stearns admit he made a mistake by letting Gennett go while reacquiring him. All I'm saying is that it would be very rare for a GM to admit his mistake to that degree. It would make Stearns look awesome in my eyes, though.

• 6 months later...
Community Moderator

While looking at players who could potentially play multiple positions down the stretch run of August and September I came across Scooter’s name. He has yet to play a game in 2019 due to a groin injury, but is reportedly working his way towards returning either later this month or early July. The Reds have received adequate-to-good production from the infield spots Scooter has played during his time with the Reds (2B - 241 games, 3B - 10 games). Scooter has also played a handful of games in both RF and LF, but probably isn’t going to move to either of those locations as a starter. He also isn’t likely part of the Reds plans beyond this season when he becomes a free agent. I have to imagine Scooter’s trade value is a fraction of what it was prior to the season, and he has familiarity with the Brewers assistant hitting coach Jason Lane (and credits Lane as the genesis for his hitting transformation).

If the Brewers do indeed cut ties with Travis Shaw at some point, I think Scooter Gennett could make some sense as a trade target (assuming he regains his health and returns over the next few weeks). I know a return to Milwaukee is always an awkward consideration, but I also don’t think they can continue to carry both Shaw and Aguilar the remainder of the season if each continues to struggle.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

This one doesn’t make much sense. If Shaw isn’t it this year, Hiura is your guy. What does Scoots do for us?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Community Moderator
This one doesn’t make much sense. If Shaw isn’t it this year, Hiura is your guy. What does Scoots do for us?

If everyone remains healthy, maybe it isn’t a perfect fit. That being said, he is one of the few true top half of the order type hitters that are likely to be available this deadline. If they consider him a 2B only, then no it doesn’t make sense. If they believe in his ability to also be mixed into the outfield corners and 3B then I think he helps make their roster more flexible and adds what would likely be one of their top five hitters.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

If everyone remains healthy, maybe it isn’t a perfect fit. That being said, he is one of the few true top half of the order type hitters that are likely to be available this deadline. If they consider him a 2B only, then no it doesn’t make sense. If they believe in his ability to also be mixed into the outfield corners and 3B then I think he helps make their roster more flexible and adds what would likely be one of their top five hitters.

Since the primary reason Gennett was released with nothing coming back in return a few spring trainings ago was due to his perceived lack of positional flexibility - i.e., a 2B only - I doubt Stearns' perception of him has changed as being a LF/RF/3B option...besides, we currently have two LH hitting 3B and two LH hitting corner OFs already on the MLB roster.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Gennett moved if he can show he's healthy, but I'd be stunned if the Brewers were even part of the rumor mill on him. Teams like San Diego and Boston make a bit more sense as a destination for Scooter.

Man that would be some rough "flexibility". His arm is pretty darn horrendous (weak) automatically making him have negative defensive value anywhere outside of 2B. His small sample at 3B in 2017 sported a sub .900 fielding percentage. I remember him being rough looking in the OF too, but I don't know overall how he really was. Probably not something any team really would want to try.

Archived