Brewer Fanatic

Trevor Bauer

Turang & Brown & Ashby > Bauer

I would do this deal. Turang will be a quality SS in the big leagues, so that will hurt but the others can easily be replaced and Bauer is a horse with great stuff, and with him having a off year so far, we could probably get him for a package close to aforementioned.

Bauer Woodruff Nelson Davies > good playoff starters to go with a dominant pen gives us a real chance to win it.

Then next year:

Bauer Woodruff Nelson Burnes/Anderson Peralta Houser Rasmussen Wilkerson = Championship caliber rotation.

Sell high on Davies.

Why in the world would the Brewers make the unfathomably idiotic move of trading Davies? He's been their best pitcher, and is cost controlled for several more seasons. You don't ever give up solid cost-controlled pitching. EVER. I don't care you you think you have in your rotation has the potential to be better. Davies has been dang near the best starter in baseball this year.

For a guy who keeps on harping that the Brewers need to bring up Wilkerson despite his below-average "stuff", it makes no sense to me that you want to deal off a guy with a very similar arsenal of pitches, but is actually doing it at the highest level.

I think you would arguably do it if you could get a massive return for him.

You certainly wouldn't do it if you believed we should be all every year so that Uecker can call a World Series that the Brewers are in. He's the exact type of reliable and effective starter most teams crave in their rotation. Especially with SO many guys who are huge question marks(Burnes, Peralta, Nelson...Rassmussen is still a LOOONG way away from being a part of this rotation).

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd rather get Kluber. Hopefully we don't need a starter to get us into the playoffs, we need a guy who can anchor us in the playoffs.

He should be cheaper considering he'd be coming off injury and he's older. Still, his track record is a lot better than Bauers'. His option years would give us nice flexibility in the offseason as well. It's a higher risk, higher reward, lower cost type of deal.

If he's actually valued higher than Bauers, then sure, I'd take Bauers.

As far as what we give up, that's tricky. I'd go Burnes or Peralta, Ray or Grisham, Thomas Jankins and then a lower level flier guy like Gray, Bello, Rodriguez, Fernandez or Abreu. I really have no idea though. It's easier to say that I want to keep Hiura, Turang, Ashby, Rasmussen, Woodruff and one of Peralta or Burnes. Everybody else can go. Although before the season I would have put Zack Brown on that list, so things could change quickly between now and July 31st.

Since I have been asked to chime in...

Forget Kluber for a couple reasons:

1) He is unlikely to be back in the majors BEFORE trade deadline of 7/31. Even if Kluber's medical follow up this week determines a timetable for a comeback, he likely needs a full rehab assignment of 30 days to get stretched out. As Yogi Berra once said, its getting late early (for that 7/31 trade deadline).

2) Even IF SOMEHOW Kluber is back and pitching at a high level, ANY team trading Kluber has to decide on both option years (pick up both or decline both, not pick up one & decline the other) within a week of the WS ending in 2019.. Kluber's injury makes that decision near impossible for any acquiring team..

As for Bauer, I don't see a good match between the 2 clubs. Cleveland is not going into a full rebuild so multiple low level high end talents won't be the target. Cleveland will be targeting multiple major league ready talents that have a lot of control remaining (the same stuff the Brewers want to hold onto). Most fans here feel Hiura is off limits. I can't disagree with the feelings. That said Hiura fills a need for Cleveland as Kipnis will have his 2020 option declined.

It takes 2 teams to make a deal. IF Cleveland is MOTIVATED to deal Bauer before the 7/31 deadline I believe they will make a large deal with a club willing to meet Cleveland's price, not "settling" for a secondary package.

PS: I realize Brewer fans are very excited by Brice Turang (they should be), but I think Brewer fans should take a look at Tyler Freeman (Cleveland's SS prospect in the Midwest League). Both are VERY GOOD and are among the top 100 prospects in the game.. I still SMH seeing Freeman's stats from short-season in 2018 in the NY-Penn league.

Thanks for the educated tribe information and perspective MadThinker88, I was afraid of you bursting my bubble, and you did.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Think I'd rather get Clevinger for cheap.

HA. :laughing Now that is a funny joke. The cost for Clevinger would be even higher.

If you are going for pie in the sky ideas, why not try for Lindor? [sarcasm]It would only cost Yelich, Hader, Hiura & Turang[/sarcasm]...

In other words its not happening...

Didn't think I needed to put that in blue.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Think I'd rather get Clevinger for cheap.

HA. :laughing Now that is a funny joke. The cost for Clevinger would be even higher.

If you are going for pie in the sky ideas, why not try for Lindor? [sarcasm]It would only cost Yelich, Hader, Hiura & Turang[/sarcasm]...

In other words its not happening...

Didn't think I needed to put that in blue.

Agreed, I knew it was a joke when I saw Hiura listed.

Agreed, I knew it was a joke when I saw Hiura listed.

I think Homer was joking about Clevinger (which he did not blue). When I responded to him, I put those parts in blue & bold.

That said, if your seriously going after Lindor, Yes it would cost Hiura PLUS..

This is a guy who many didn't feel was worthy of a rotation spot. He didn't morph into an ace. He is what he has always been, a very nice back end of the rotation starter.

He's putting up numbers similar to 2016/2107 where he was a 2.6fWAR per season pitcher. If the Brewers had a back end of the rotation of 2.6fWAR, they would be in the running for best record in the NL and have the Dodgers worrying about how to match the Brewers.

How about a package with Carlos Santana?

NO! Santana is set to make $21M next year and $17.5M in 2021. Bauer is arby eligible and due a big raise from his current $13M contract. Both are too expensive for the Crew.

Verified Member

NO! Santana is set to make $21M next year and $17.5M in 2021. Bauer is arby eligible and due a big raise from his current $13M contract. Both are too expensive for the Crew.

Option year in 2021. Chacin, Anderson, Thames, Moose, Grandal and Gonzalez are all coming off the books next year (or could come off the books).

Their contracts would decrease the prospect capital we'd have to send them...assuming the Indians are looking for salary relief. It's all part of the negotiations, anyway. Santana is having a career year.

I'm fine with Thames/Aguilar for now...but I might not be in a month. Another switch hitter would be great. I've loved Grandal's ability from both sides.

Option year in 2021. Chacin, Anderson, Thames, Moose, Grandal and Gonzalez are all coming off the books next year (or could come off the books).

Their contracts would decrease the prospect capital we'd have to send them...assuming the Indians are looking for salary relief. It's all part of the negotiations, anyway. Santana is having a career year.

I'm fine with Thames/Aguilar for now...but I might not be in a month. Another switch hitter would be great. I've loved Grandal's ability from both sides.

If the tribe decides to sell, trading for both would be a truly all in move, filling our two biggest holes with top players at their positions. This would give us a great shot at a championship for the next 2 years. A true #1 to go with Woodruff giving us two starters that can compare with the best teams we’ll face in the playoffs.

Then adding a bat the quality of Santana helps our K prone lineup.

Trade Thames at the deadline and Anderson this offseason for prospects and salary relief. That’s Saves 1 mil this yr and 15 mil next yr

Bauer salary > 4 mil & 18 mil(est)

Santana salary > 7 mil & 21 mil

Then the prospects:

Santana & Bauer & 15 mil > Burnes & Supek & Ray & Dubon

• 3 weeks later...

If I’m Stearns I Trade for Bauer at the deadline, Then sell high on Hader, then trade for 2 rental pen arms.

I have my Ace for 2 years. My 2 pen arms with my Ace helps me win this year.

Then the day after this season is over I convince my owner to up the payroll for 1 year to 180 million, and I sign Garrett Cole, plug holes at C, and 3B, and then, I have the best rotation in baseball, a shutdown bullpen, powerful offense, and go win 118 games, with 65 sellouts, a deep run paying for the payroll and a real good chance to win a World Series. Finally, in the 50th year, and if I’m Mark Attanasio, I’m a hero, and it didn’t cost me a dime. And if I don’t win the series, I’m still a hero, because I upped the payroll for 1 year.

Community Moderator

Not to say it’s impossible that they could coexist on the same team, but former college teammates Gerrit Cole and Trevor Bauer have a pretty well known dislike for one another.

One small correction, this is the 50th season of Brewers baseball. Next year will be the 50th anniversary (51st season). The Brewers actually mistakenly celebrated their “25th anniversary” in the wrong season (1994). It should have actually been the following season unless at the time they were counting the Seattle Pilots season (but they weren’t).

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Not to say it’s impossible that they could coexist on the same team, but former college teammates Gerrit Cole and Trevor Bauer have a pretty well known dislike for one another.

One small correction, this is the 50th season of Brewers baseball. Next year will be the 50th anniversary (51st season). The Brewers actually mistakenly celebrated their “25th anniversary” in the wrong season (1994). It should have actually been the following season unless at the time they were counting the Seattle Pilots season (but they weren’t).

Thanks for the correct info, hoping Bauer and Cole have matured since college. Ha

Thanks for the correct info, hoping Bauer and Cole have matured since college. Ha

You're going to be very disappointed. Bauer has not. I'm guessing the problem was always Bauer more than Cole...Bauer's a clown.

You're going to be very .disappointed. Bauer has not. I'm guessing the problem was always Bauer more than Cole...Bauer's a clown.

That’s ok, I’ll take a little Oakland A’s of the early 70s action, with those arms

Archived