Brewer Fanatic

Trevor Bauer

I'm not a huge fan of Bauer and have long been blocked by him on Twitter :laughing but all the same he would be a huge addition to the team.

Burnes/Santana seems totally fair to me. Throwing in Ray seems unnecessary.

The only reason I question our interest is that Bauer would have seemed like an ideal Stearns target before 2018. I think Stearns would prefer to target already valuable players who are about to breakout even further, like Yelich, rather than a guy coming off Cy Young type season.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
(And if the front office thinks Burnes is too valuable to trade like many on here, then he'd better be in the rotation this season. Stop wasting his limited team control in the bullpen.)

(And if the front office thinks Burnes is too valuable to trade like many on here, then he'd better be in the rotation this season. Stop wasting his limited team control in the bullpen.)

I’d hardly call his 2/3rds of a season in the bullpen a waste. He was much needed and a valuable part of how and what they accomplished.

Outside the box idea here but the Indians have a big hole at catcher and have always valued defensive catchers. Wonder if including Manny Pina in a package for Bauer moves the needle at all for the Indians, obviously he's not a center piece. I'm more than happy to include Nottingham in the trade but dont think he really fits what the Indians look for at catcher.

Love Bauer's game. He's a known weirdo and different on twitter so that rubs people the wrong way, but you can't question his work ethic when it comes to making himself the best pitcher he can possibly be.

Indians looking for OF/RP/C from my rough look at their roster. Asking price should rightfully be high but I think when all is said and done the price will look close to what the Astros gave up for Cole.

Outside the box idea here but the Indians have a big hole at catcher and have always valued defensive catchers. Wonder if including Manny Pina in a package for Bauer moves the needle at all for the Indians, obviously he's not a center piece. I'm more than happy to include Nottingham in the trade but dont think he really fits what the Indians look for at catcher.

Love Bauer's game. He's a known weirdo and different on twitter so that rubs people the wrong way, but you can't question his work ethic when it comes to making himself the best pitcher he can possibly be.

Indians looking for OF/RP/C from my rough look at their roster. Asking price should rightfully be high but I think when all is said and done the price will look close to what the Astros gave up for Cole.

I don't believe the Tribe is looking for help at catcher. They still have Roberto Perez (never much with the stick) and he was the D oriented guy that worked with the Tribe staff to Gm 7 of the 2016 World Series as Gomes was injured and trying to get back to action. Their other guy Eric Haase has a solid rep behind the plate & some pop in the stick (59 homers over last 3 seasons). He also caught both no-nos for AAA Columbus in May/ June 2018 (for Bieber & Plutko)..

Yes, the Tribe is willing to deal from its starting pitching depth to address other needs of the team & in the process redistribute its contract obligations.

Bullpen is as big (if not bigger) need for the Tribe than OF. Is 3 years of Knebel alone worth 2 years of Bauer alone??

If JRam is now the Tribe 2nd baseman, Kipnis can fill LF for 1 yr (before his option gets declined). If 3 yrs of Shaw alone worth 2 yrs of Bauer alone??

I'm not suggesting either squad would make those trades but it is out of the box thinking.

I don't believe the Tribe is looking for help at catcher. They still have Roberto Perez (never much with the stick) and he was the D oriented guy that worked with the Tribe staff to Gm 7 of the 2016 World Series as Gomes was injured and trying to get back to action. Their other guy Eric Haase has a solid rep behind the plate & some pop in the stick (59 homers over last 3 seasons). He also caught both no-nos for AAA Columbus in May/ June 2018 (for Bieber & Plutko)..

Yes, the Tribe is willing to deal from its starting pitching depth to address other needs of the team & in the process redistribute its contract obligations.

Bullpen is as big (if not bigger) need for the Tribe than OF. Is 3 years of Knebel alone worth 2 years of Bauer alone??

If JRam is now the Tribe 2nd baseman, Kipnis can fill LF for 1 yr (before his option gets declined). If 3 yrs of Shaw alone worth 2 yrs of Bauer alone??

I'm not suggesting either squad would make those trades but it is out of the box thinking.

Thank you I was not at all familiar with Haase but knew they are very comfortable with Perez. Quick look at the offensive stats showed me it might have been a hole. Really interesting thought on trading from the bullpen. I definitely think these two teams match up really well for a trade.

I’d hardly call his 2/3rds of a season in the bullpen a waste. He was much needed and a valuable part of how and what they accomplished.

Not my point...

He's already had success in the majors in 2018, so going into 2019 he needs to be in the rotation from the start.

Brewers have said repeatly he will be moving back to rotation..... only way he doesn’t is if he has a Woodruff type bad Spring Training & actually Brewers still rolled with Woody regardless last season out of the gate... I don’t know why people have doubts about him being in rotation. Can’t compare to Hader since most scouts thought he’d be moved to pen and he quickly proved to be at an elite level. His value was just higher to team there. Burnes was simply in pen to get MLB innings & there was no need for him in rotation

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

If both are on the table for similar relative packages, I'd rather have Realmuto than Bauer. But Bauer would be the legit #1 pitcher this team is lacking.

I have to agree. More and more I'm buying into what appears to be a Stearns philosophy to not make major investments in pitching.

I think price for Realmuto would be too high & for sure Huira or Burnes.... they will get that level talent from someone. Thing I love about Bauer beside you can probably get it done minus either of those guys is that he has grown & improved every year. Each season walks have continued to drop & Ks have continued to climb. He has really started to harness his power stuff. Having a true frontline guy is something we have missed since Greinke

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Anyone else a little concerned that he plays in the worst division by far in MLB? (inflated stats)

It's a point worth noting but I think he's still a heck of a pitcher who, at minimum, had a very unspectacular-hitting OF behind him.

With two years left, the package shouldn't be too far off what Paxton brought.

Hiura/Burnes would definitely be off the table for me. Highest I'd go is probably same as I would for a Realmuto package, their pick of Woodruff/Peralta plus Ray & a low level flier.

Nobody else on here is talking about it but yes...I agree that I think a realistic offer should be slightly better than Paxton as he's a good barometer. Their production the past several years has been relatively similar and they both have 2yrs control. Obviously Hiura isn't going for Bauer and I highly doubt 6yrs of Burnes is either. I also think Peralta/Ray in a package is already an overpay and destroys what Paxton brought back. Peralta + 2 dudes outside our Top 10 (Diplan, Supak, Houser, etc - I'd even add Broxton as a secondary piece). If we're going Peralta/Ray then I'd expect the trade to be expanded and not just Bauer

Bauer was significantly better than Paxton last season and doesn't have the same injury/durability red flags. He's much more valuable in my opinion.

Sure, Bauer's 2018 was significantly better if you look at ERA(+)/FIP. But what about other numbers?

Paxton - 1.098 whip, 7.5h, 2.4bb, 11.7k, 3.02 xFIP

Bauer - 1.089 whip, 6.9h, 2.9bb, 11.3k, 3.14 xFIP

Bauer's division was *significantly worse* than Paxton's in 2018 and overall the past 3yrs. These same numbers favor Paxton in 2016/2017 as well. And Paxton's 2017 was significantly better than Bauer's across the board.

Yes, Bauer is 2yrs younger and has thrown more innings so he's more durable. It's realistic to expect him to throw 175 innings because that's what he's done in 3 of the past 4yrs whereas with Paxton you're expecting he's hitting his 2018 at minimum because that's what he's coming off of and he's thrown more and more innings as the years go by. But I don't believe that trumps production to the point there's a *significant* difference. I said Bauer's return should be slightly better than Paxton's and I thought that because he's coming off his 2018 and he can be expected to throw 175 innings. But his past 3yrs aren't better than Paxton's as a whole so the return should still be in the greater ballpark of each other.

That's why I go back to what I initially posted - Peralta/Ray is already a significant upgrade over the Paxton trade and a significant upgrade isn't warranted based on history. I think it can be easily argued that Peralta is a better/more valuable player than Justus (at this point). And Ray destroys the other two dudes. It's just not even in the same ballpark. I'm not saying Peralta/Ray don't go there I'm saying if they do there should be something else coming back with Bauer.

• 5 months later...
Community Moderator

I'm bumping this thread because speculation is growing once again that the Indians may look to trade Bauer before the July 31st deadline.

Bauer is a player I am conflicted about whether I would even want the Brewers to pursue, but I think he would provide a consistent anchor within the rotation for the next 1.5 seasons. I think the cost would be something along the lines of Burnes and Turang. Would be curious to hear if others consider him a feasible or even a desirable trade target?

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived