Brewer Fanatic

Packers to hire LaFleur (page 8), Hackett hired as OC (page 13)

Point Beer Is Best
I think the Packers will be back in the playoffs next season.

I really do too. I think this move was the first of a very big offseason for the future of the franchise.

I truly think that we'll see a couple "splash"-type acquisitions this offseason. Gute knows that the window with Rodgers is not large, and while it is very important to build depth through the draft, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see the Packers make a trade for a pass rusher like Von Miller or Chandler Jones. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them go after OL and a TE early in the draft. I think they make a play for a safety as well.

I believe we're going to see a level of player movement from the Packers that we haven't seen since the Ron Wolf years.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really have any feel for what they'll do personnel-wise. Everyone's gut instinct is a pass rusher, but they had 44 sacks, and some younger guys there who should only get better. Obviously, they'd benefit a lot from adding a proven guy there. They probably also need a veteran WR. Those are two that stand out to me.

I think even with a minimally changed roster the right coach can get this group to close that gap where they just couldn't finish games. Rodgers needs to get right, but I think that's going to happen and really why I think they'll have a bounce-back season. I heard a rumor yesterday that Rodgers had surgery on something after the season as well.

This season reminded me of '08 a lot and think next year will be a lot like '09. Nobody really took them seriously coming off a 6-10 season but they took a big step and got to 11-5.

I've said it elsewhere, but with the extra 1st they're really set to fill 5-6 roster holes this year, and that doesn't include depth picks from their 3rd and beyond, including the extra 4th, which is where Thompson, Wolf, etc. really excelled during much of their time.

I just get the sense they are right on the cusp of breaking through. Rodgers injury two years ago gave people a bit of an excuse, but there are a lot of players on this roster that have now been developing for two years. The manner in which they lost a bunch of games makes me feel they're really close, but a lot of fans just see losses and assume they're really far away. I just don't get that feeling at all. Sort of like when Favre called them the "most talented team" he's played on a year before they went 13-3 and everybody laughed.

I feel pretty good about the Packers next year as well. It seems like we have good young talent at most positions, but I do have concerns on the o-line. Bulaga is the obvious concern, but we also don't have much depth behind the top 5. I felt like the defense took a big step forward, I think the offensive struggles made the defense work harder than they shoudl have. If we could sustain drives better this year, our defense could have been very good. Also all the injuries didn't help anything. I'm actually expecting those young receivers to take a step forward next year, especially MVS. Hopefully he spends the offseason working out with Davante and/or Rodgers. We could certainly use a veteran guy, but if not I think we'll do just fine at WR. I'm sure the new coach will help here as well.

I really do too. I think this move was the first of a very big offseason for the future of the franchise.

They need playmakers..... not sure we see that on defense. Another .500 type year is what I feel.

They need playmakers..... not sure we see that on defense. Another .500 type year is what I feel.

Seems kinda premature to make that sort of statement, don't you think?

Any answer other than "yes" would be incorrect here.

You can't judge Packer defense based on 2018. They lost their entire starting defensive line to injury and their secondary was in constant flux due to injury too. Daniels and Clark are playmakers and will be back. Clark is a potential All Pro. Alexander and Jackson were drafted to be playmakers in the secondary and both figure to take a step forward.

The good news is that the injuries allowed them to identify and develop depth.

They need to address the safety and outside LB position in the draft and I'm sure they will.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think Jackson is going to move to safety.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Agree. He struggled in a man coverage defense, both on the outside and in the slot. Josh Jones is much better near the line of scrimmage (more of a SS), so I'd like to see Jackson as more of a FS (along with Tramon Williams). Really like the idea of bringing back Breeland as the slot CB. King/Alexander on the outside, Breeland as your nickel back and then Jones/Jackson/Williams at safety is a starting point, but could really use more talent at safety and more depth at CB.

Gruber Lawffices

Agree. He struggled in a man coverage defense, both on the outside and in the slot. Josh Jones is much better near the line of scrimmage (more of a SS), so I'd like to see Jackson as more of a FS (along with Tramon Williams). Really like the idea of bringing back Breeland as the slot CB. King/Alexander on the outside, Breeland as your nickel back and then Jones/Jackson/Williams at safety is a starting point, but could really use more talent at safety and more depth at CB.

Really shocked to see Jackson struggle so much, especially in the slot. Is he that slow, or maybe just not playing with much confidence? I'll have to trust the staff, but yea I could definitely see a change to safety.

I think we need to view King as the Jimmy Nelson of the Packers. I would be anyone here he won't play 12 games next season, let alone 16. It's not like it's one year, he's always been injured, even coming out of college. I would be fine if they used a 3rd or 4th on another CB.

Seems kinda premature to make that sort of statement, don't you think?

Any answer other than "yes" would be incorrect here.

Kinda premature to say they are a playoff team, too. Who knows how other NFC teams will improve?

A whole new offense? A few big play guys? Rookie coach? 2nd year GM? Holmgren, Rhodes, Sherman, and McCarthy didn't do much their first year.... more of a transition disguised as a train wreck. Vikings and Bears should be good too. Eh, I like the Packers and all, but a Wild Card birth would be great expectations.

I'll stick with hope for noticeable growth as the season moves on and a better game vs. the Lions at home.

The internet is awfully cruel to Mike McCarthy.

One comment I read criticized him for ‘only’ being 10-8 in the playoffs. For context, that’s tied for the 13th most all time. Here are some other coaches with similar records:

Bill Cowher (12-9)

Bill Parcells (11-8)

John Madden (9-7)

Tony Dungy (9-10)

Mike Shanahan (8-6)

Mike Tomlin (8-7)

Sean Peyton (7-5)

Mike Ditka (6-6)

I agree that it was time for change in Green Bay, but hate that Mike McCarthy has become a punching bag.

The internet is awfully cruel to Mike McCarthy.

One comment I read criticized him for ‘only’ being 10-8 in the playoffs.

Context matters. If a coach is often running the last team to qualify for the playoffs then it would be likely that they would have a poorer record. If you could normalize the results against expected results you could get a better idea. The packers being 1/2 seed and losing multiple home games in the conference championship doesn't look good.

Personally without looking at the numbers, but knowing the Packers position and talent (HOF quarterback for his playoff stretch) plus the debacle in Seattle I would say that his record is below what it should be for playoffs. Especially as he was started out 3-0 and had arguably better teams 2 years after the SB win...

Your points are valid. Every situation is unique.

I’d argue that when comparing playoff records, losses shouldn’t be weighted as heavily as wins. Eli Manning (8-4) and Kurt Warner (9-4) both have better playoff records than Aaron Rodgers (9-7), but how many times did Manning or Warner miss the playoffs entirely? (hint: a lot)

Search the list of playoff wins for coaches. You don’t get to 10 wins on pure luck. Do I think McCarthy came up short one time too many times? Absolutely. Do I think he’s a bad coach? Absolutely not. I’m ready for a change, but I wish him the best (unless he somehow winds up coaching the Vikings in 2020).

Search the list of playoff wins for coaches. You don’t get to 10 wins on pure luck. Do I think McCarthy came up short one time too many times? Absolutely. Do I think he’s a bad coach? Absolutely not. I’m ready for a change, but I wish him the best (unless he somehow winds up coaching the Vikings in 2020).

Absolutely. I do hope he lands on his feet with a good team. I think he needs to do a little reassessment of his offensive approach and his big game planning. I think what hurt him the most are actually favorable assets to have - loyalty to his hires. The problem was that he was too loyal. Winston Moss should have been gone as soon as he pulled that crap and Dom Capers should have been given a home in the same facility that TT will end up... It's great to be a manager and have your staff's back, when that staff runs off the rails or is past their sell-by-date and you hold onto them then you are doing a disservice to your employer and in this case fans...

Speaking of Mac, he better hope a bunch of these new, first time coaches fail in 2019. Since coaching hires are pretty much trendy and copy cat, if these new guys have good years you can be assured next offseason teams are going to be even more likely to hire the hot coordinator or college guy over the veteran retread. Mike might be looking at settling for an OC spot.

MM’s career pivoted at Brandon Bostic. They win that game and people’s viewpoint changes on him.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Speaking of Mac, he better hope a bunch of these new, first time coaches fail in 2019. Since coaching hires are pretty much trendy and copy cat, if these new guys have good years you can be assured next offseason teams are going to be even more likely to hire the hot coordinator or college guy over the veteran retread. Mike might be looking at settling for an OC spot.

I don't think there's any chance that happens.

McCarthy's Packer tenure is very similar to Reid's in Philly. Great coach who's time had just run out.

McCarthy's gonna get a HC'ing job whenever he wants one in my opinion regardless of the trend towards younger guys. His track record means he'll be given at least one more chance to be a HC.

Haven't really seen the College trend pan out though...unless there's guys I'm forgetting. Who has made the jump from right to the NFL. I haven't heard if Kingsbury had gotten the Cards job or not, so if he has, that'd be one. Other than that though...who are the college guys?

I also don't think the young coordinator being the "next big thing," is anything new. Heck, it's how we got Holmgren instead of Parcells and then McCarthy. That's been happening forever.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

MM’s career pivoted at Brandon Bostic. They win that game and people’s viewpoint changes on him.

His career pivoted when Nick Collins broke his neck. The defense fell apart after that. I nearly come to tears whenever I think of "what could have been" if Collins was never injured during the first game of 2011.

Gruber Lawffices

His career pivoted when Nick Collins broke his neck. The defense fell apart after that. I nearly come to tears whenever I think of "what could have been" if Collins was never injured during the first game of 2011.

Agreed.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived