Brewer Fanatic

Packers to hire LaFleur (page 8), Hackett hired as OC (page 13)

Point Beer Is Best
  • Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
At same time you want to get it right. It’s no different than hiring someone to an important person for your business. You want best one. They are professionals, they can handle 6 interviews in 3 days. Gute interviews people all day, everyday for week at combine. Then they make a board of over 300 players.

You take your notes but if you have interviewed anyone. You know the ones you want. Take the 2-3 that blew u away and give 2nd interview

My point wasn't if they could handle 6 interviews in 3 days (or 5 in 2 days), but whether they were taking enough time to actually delve into some details with each candidate. These aren't (or shouldn't be) a 1 hour interview. More like 4-5 hours to get to know them, their vision for the team and their style of working.

Glad Harbaugh isn’t our guy. Who the hell starts Lamar Jackson over Flacco.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Kind of disappointed there will be no interview, at least as of right now for Kris Richards. Think he has a lot of the tangibles for a head coach & im a big fan of him

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Is this supposed to be in blue? Ravens were 4-5 with Flacco and 6-1 with Jackson. Jackson obviously didn't have a great game Sunday, but the Ravens wouldn't be a playoff team without him.

I’d consider Lafluer or Gase a home run and McDaniels a passing grade at this point. Everyone else that they are bring in gets a “meh” from me[/quote

Game would be extremely disappointing to me. Reports are that he lost the locker room in Miami. I just don't see that as good match up with with Rodgers' personality.

The late interview add of Gase makes me wonder if it's more of a look at him possibly being eyed as an OC candidate.

I hope it’s not, I would hope that the packers would let the new coach pick his coordinators.

For what it's worth, McDaniels brought Gase with him to Denver as his WR coach. Gase eventually became the OC under Fox after Mike McCoy left to coach the Chargers. They may very well be interested to hear from Gase a first-hand account of what it was like being on a coaching staff with McDaniels and if there are any red-flags.

Gruber Lawffices

A coach willing to take chances? Flacco is washed and has been for years. While I don't like Jackson much, he exceeded every expectation of almost anyone this year, not to mention probably saved Harbaughs job.

For what it's worth, McDaniels brought Gase with him to Denver as his WR coach. Gase eventually became the OC under Fox after Mike McCoy left to coach the Chargers. They may very well be interested to hear from Gase a first-hand account of what it was like being on a coaching staff with McDaniels and if there are any red-flags.

A McDaniels HC, Gase OC situation in Green Bay might be my dream scenario.

I approve particularly if he keeps Pettine which it looks like he is.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Like the hire. Wonder if he is going to steal his little brother away from Kyle Shanahan. Mike is currently WR coach & pass game coordinator. Not to be OC but just be on staff. Sounds like he is a solid coach as well.

From reports Pettine will be staying to continue to fix the defense. I think that is right call. Rough first year for him having to deal with with injuries hampering much of the D & an extremely young & I experienced secondary.

Matt LaFleur is the only one I’m interested in so far from the list.

Bump! Yes sir!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It's a bit risky, but I wanted the Packers to take a swing and they did. With some of the "safer" options bandied about, my general impression was you might as well have just kept McCarthy.

Except MM stopped being creative and lost his team (or at least the QB).

I like the hire personally. I had him or McDaniels as my top favorite, but McD had me worried for some reason (probably a combo of Denver and Indy issues). I'm also happy to see Pettine retained. I think there is a better chance to bounce back next year with an established D concept.

I really wanted mcdaniels, and im a bit concerned about his struggles in Tennessee. Besides those 2 factors, I'm good with the hiring. I'll defer to you guys as i don't follow football as close as baseball

My only caveat with Tennesse was that he had one year with a young QB and no real offensive tools to go with him.

I really wanted mcdaniels, and im a bit concerned about his struggles in Tennessee. Besides those 2 factors, I'm good with the hiring. I'll defer to you guys as i don't follow football as close as baseball

I wouldn’t worry about Titan performance.... can’t turn water to wine unless you are JC. Mariota was banged up most of year but managed to complete 69% of his passes & ran for 350 yards. Best Receiver/TE Walker missed whole season. Corey Davis made strides but still not there yet, rest of WRs are extremely meh. Offensive line was terrible in pass pro. He did install zone scheme & drastically improved run game to 7th in NFL. He used Dion Lewis well & he ended up with 60 catches I believe. He woke up Henry finally and got him rolling big at end of year.

It’s hard for first year OC when talent is eh, you have injuries, and have a QB you need to adjust offense around. Mariota isn’t an arm talent. He is a mobile game manager. Shorter passes, make some plays on the go but isn’t a big down field guy. Knowing what he had, he had to run a lot. If Henry would have found it before last 3-4 games... season could have looked a lot different

I think McDaniels would have brought a big-time spotlight to the Rodgers-coach dynamic and the Packers generally don't like those kinds of tabloid stories. If they weren't immediately successful it would have been an exhausting carousel of coverage. I doubt that was a big factor in the decision, but just one more thing that tipped the scales against him.

I think the Packers will be back in the playoffs next season.

Archived