Brewer Fanatic

Packers to hire LaFleur (page 8), Hackett hired as OC (page 13)

Point Beer Is Best

Speculating here, but his lack of interest in the Bengals job could also be due to the owner being the de facto GM (and they only staff 8 scouts, compared with GB's 18). Which means that a) he's well aware of Mike Brown's meddling and incompetence in roster building AND/OR b) McDaniels desires control over the 53 man roster, which would likely be impossible in Cincy.

I sincerely hope it's not the latter. While that arrangement has worked in other locations (Seattle with Carroll & Schneider), I don't want a repeat of what happened in Denver when he had full roster control.

I *do* find it very surprising that with 8 or 9 coaching vacancies, that only 2 teams have requested to interview him. If they haven't reached out this week, it's very unlikely they will at a later date. Either teams are put off by what he did to Indy last year (total understandable) or they fear he may want an out clause in his contract to take over NE when BB retires (this would be my concern, especially if he is as successful as I expect him to be this time around).

Gruber Lawffices

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Packers were really bad on 3rd down. I attribute some of that to play calling.

Yep. Too many third down calls were plays designed for big yardage chunks instead of just getting the first down.

I'm all for taking the occasional shot on third and short, but you can't make a living off it like the Packers tried to do this year.

Man, some of the twitter feeds I follow show our short third-down plays and the routes the WR's are running, wow. It is just simply amazing at times. Frustrating because you don't need to be an NFL coach or mind to realize they are not high percentage makes. Now I don't know where that falls on (MM, Philbin, Rodgers) but it has to change next season to be more consistent.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Packers were really bad on 3rd down. I attribute some of that to play calling.

Yep. Too many third down calls were plays designed for big yardage chunks instead of just getting the first down.

I'm all for taking the occasional shot on third and short, but you can't make a living off it like the Packers tried to do this year.

Man, some of the twitter feeds I follow show our short third-down plays and the routes the WR's are running, wow. It is just simply amazing at times. Frustrating because you don't need to be an NFL coach or mind to realize they are not high percentage makes. Now I don't know where that falls on (MM, Philbin, Rodgers) but it has to change next season to be more consistent.

Since when aren't 30-yard flag patterns on 3rd and 2 a high-percentage play?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

According to @NFLMatchup, Green Bay attempted 92 throws 20+ yards downfield (most in the NFL in 2018), completing 34%.

Of those 92 throws, 30 were on 3rd down, 10 were on 3rd and 5 or less, and 7 were on 3rd and 3 or less. All of those were the highest in the NFL.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

In another thread we talked about Rodgers getting sacked a bunch this year (when discussing whether he should play against Detroit). I found this interesting tidbit.

Ben Fennell

@BenFennell_NFL

45 of the 53 sacks allowed by #Packers this season were OVER 2.5 seconds...

That's not all on Rodgers, but it is a problem that needs to be addressed next year.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

In another thread we talked about Rodgers getting sacked a bunch this year (when discussing whether he should play against Detroit). I found this interesting tidbit.

Ben Fennell

@BenFennell_NFL

45 of the 53 sacks allowed by #Packers this season were OVER 2.5 seconds...

That's not all on Rodgers, but it is a problem that needs to be addressed next year.

It's almost always a combination of both, and it is here as well. But sacks are only a part of the story, it's how many times the opposing team put almost immediate pressure on Rodgers, and bad leg and all he was still athletic and savvy enough to step or run out of a sack. If Dickey was the QB this year he would have been sacked roughly 87 times per game.

There is definitely a lot of data to show the Packers offense needs some work.

Towards the end of the year, there was a lot of talk about Rodgers consistently changing calls at the line and that led to a lot of issues between MM and AR.

I don't think there's a way to ever know, but if it was Rodgers that was going rogue and changing good calls to hit the home run ball then he needs to be fixed no matter how good of an offense mind they find to run the offense.

Pat Fitzgerald has turned down the interview with the Packers for their head coaching position. Fitzgerald’s agent Bryan Harlan spoke with Chicago Tribune’s Teddy Greenstein and stated that Fitzgerald will not be interviewing for any head coaching position in the NFL.

So far two teams (Bengals & Packers) have requested interviews with McDaniels. Per multiple reports out there now, McDaniels has turned down the Bengals request and is only interviewing with Green Bay this weekend. Things could change, but as of right now that's the only interview he has accepted.

Makes me wonder if there might be a "wink nod" deal already in place between McDaniels and the Packers. I know many higher ups see McDanials to the Packers as pretty much a foregone conclusion.

NFL policies/procedures don't allow assistants who are still in the playoffs, to have more than 1 interview until they are eliminated or Super Bowl week. I think McDaniels is not shunning Cincinnati entirely, just picking the Packers as the one interview he wants RIGHT NOW until he is eligible to have more.

So far two teams (Bengals & Packers) have requested interviews with McDaniels. Per multiple reports out there now, McDaniels has turned down the Bengals request and is only interviewing with Green Bay this weekend. Things could change, but as of right now that's the only interview he has accepted.

Makes me wonder if there might be a "wink nod" deal already in place between McDaniels and the Packers. I know many higher ups see McDanials to the Packers as pretty much a foregone conclusion.

NFL policies/procedures don't allow assistants who are still in the playoffs, to have more than 1 interview until they are eliminated or Super Bowl week. I think McDaniels is not shunning Cincinnati entirely, just picking the Packers as the one interview he wants RIGHT NOW until he is eligible to have more.

I don't know if that's an old rule that's recently changed. But, Dan Campbell has interviews with the Packers and Cards on Saturday and according to this article Brian Flores has 4

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcboston.com/news/local/NFL_Rumors__Brian_Flores_to_interview_with_these_four_teams_this_weekend-503790112.html%3famp=y

I don't know if that's an old rule that's recently changed. But, Dan Campbell has interviews with the Packers and Cards on Saturday and according to this article Brian Flores has 4

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcboston.com/news/local/NFL_Rumors__Brian_Flores_to_interview_with_these_four_teams_this_weekend-503790112.html%3famp=y

Yeah, you can definitely have more than one interview. McDaniels just has no interest in the Bengals. If I were him, the two jobs I would be the most interested in are Green Bay and Cleveland. However, Cleveland has not requested an interview. And if they were interested, you would think they would have made the request.

Unless Dorsey is performing some Jedi mind-trick (rumor is that he's been known to issue some Game of Thrones-level misinformation to specific individuals to find out who is leaking info to the media) and plans to hire McDaniels without an interview but still wants to pick the brains of other candidates, then Cleveland likely has no interest.

Gruber Lawffices

...as an O-Line first guy, I would be extremely interested in Munchak as a guy who can repair the line (along with talent upgrades via the draft), since keeping Rodgers healthy is an essential part of keeping the offense clicking.

I agree that they need depth/upgrades on the O-line, particularly at guard, but many of the issues with sacks this season lay with scheme and Rodgers trying to extend the play downfield rather than taking the checkdown. PFF has TONS of issues with how they grade offensive lineman, so take it with a grain of salt, but I believe they had the Packers o-line rated as one of the best pass-blocking lines yet the Packers led the league in sacks given up on 3rd down.

I'm a bit too old-school for the metrics that suggest an OL "wins" if he blocks a defensive lineman for 2.5 seconds. Lineman block as long as needed to get the pass off; no excuses. Not every pass route allows for a quick throw. Play action passes, routes involving double-moves, etc. take time to set up....and while not every play should be a deep shot, a team needs to be able to mix in the deep throws with the quick-hitters, in order to keep the defense on its heels.

There are absolutely times Rodgers needs to be content with keeping a drive alive rather than looking for the big play, and that is the largest disciplinary fix the new coaching staff is going to have to make. Keeping the offense on the field on 3rd downs is itself a big play.

Plus, most of the football metrics focus on the Packers starting 5 O-Linemen. Bulaga has missed 4 or more games in half of his seasons in Green Bay, and that's not something which is likely to improve going forward. My ideal first round pick would be an OL who could immediately upgrade at guard, but has the skills to play tackle when Bulaga (or Bakhtiari, who has only missed 6 games in his 6-year career, knock-on-wood) goes down.

I find it really odd that a coach like McDaniels would put it out there almost begging for an interview. Just strange to me.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I find it really odd that a coach like McDaniels would put it out there almost begging for an interview. Just strange to me.

If he's truly the Packers' #1 choice, options = leverage

There are options and there is begging. He had "options" when he could have had an interview with Cincinnati.

I’d consider Lafluer or Gase a home run and McDaniels a passing grade at this point. Everyone else that they are bring in gets a “meh” from me[/quote

Game would be extremely disappointing to me. Reports are that he lost the locker room in Miami. I just don't see that as good match up with with Rodgers' personality.

The late interview add of Gase makes me wonder if it's more of a look at him possibly being eyed as an OC candidate.

I’d consider Lafluer or Gase a home run and McDaniels a passing grade at this point. Everyone else that they are bring in gets a “meh” from me[/quote

Game would be extremely disappointing to me. Reports are that he lost the locker room in Miami. I just don't see that as good match up with with Rodgers' personality.

The late interview add of Gase makes me wonder if it's more of a look at him possibly being eyed as an OC candidate.

I hope it’s not, I would hope that the packers would let the new coach pick his coordinators.

Also with regards to Gase, there is no perfect candidate imo, when I say home run, I mean ones that I find acceptable. Any coach that they hire out of this crop has flaws and you are taking a risk. Gase is a bright offensive mind who was in a bad situation with a bad quarterback. I’d like to see what he can do with a good quarterback.

Lafluer fits that mold too, but I understand he is young and has little coaching experience and it’s not like the titans were an offensive machine this year.

LeFluer is tough to get read on. How much of his success & status is built on Shanahan & McVay? Both considered two of the top offensive minds in game. His only time he has been the man was this year but with a bad pass protection line, lack of weapons at WR/TE, and adjusting offense for an inferior passing QB doesn’t help get a read.

He did change blocking scheme & greatly improved run game.

MM had terrible track record as OC but had head coach intangibles. It’s hard not being around them as coaches to know which ones have that “it factor” Many of the best O & D minds struggle to be able to head coach. It’s a completely different mind & skillset

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

MM had terrible track record as OC but had head coach intangibles. It’s hard not being around them as coaches to know which ones have that “it factor” Many of the best O & D minds struggle to be able to head coach. It’s a completely different mind & skillset

I do find it interesting how NFL teams now pretty much just go after whomever the hot coordinators are at the time assuming they'll fix whatever side of the ball their speciality is and the rest will just work itself out. I would think that skills coordinating an offense/defense has very little to do with how successful a head coach can be. Obviously that's where almost every HC comes from and often times it works out but it seems incredibly short sighted to just go "this guy runs a good offense, he's head coach material." Think what you will of the Patriots and Bill Belichick but they have clearly been the class of the NFL for almost 20 years. Belichick is a defense guy but rarely do the Patriots ever have a really good defense. He just knows how to put together and run a team.

At same time you want to get it right. It’s no different than hiring someone to an important person for your business. You want best one. They are professionals, they can handle 6 interviews in 3 days. Gute interviews people all day, everyday for week at combine. Then they make a board of over 300 players.

You take your notes but if you have interviewed anyone. You know the ones you want. Take the 2-3 that blew u away and give 2nd interview

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Archived