Brewer Fanatic

Packers to hire LaFleur (page 8), Hackett hired as OC (page 13)

Point Beer Is Best
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Packers also interested in matt lafleur, Titans OC. He was under McVay for a year in LA I believe.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Adam Gase makes way to much sense for Packers. Figure the Broncos will have large interest in him. My gut tells me McDaniels or Gase will be the pick. Fine with either choice.

Elway already said they won't be interviewing Gase.

I might be biased, but the Packers have to be one of the best destinations for a Head Coach in Football. No reason to settle for an outdated retread, or "connected" candidate. Unfortunately, I smell Murphy going with safe moderate ceiling/high floor candidates and passing on dynamic high risk options (high ceiling/low floor). everything he's done is conservative...

It's not terrible but I really don't think it's all that appealing. Sure, you've got Rodgers but he could very likely be on the decline. He's probably a top 10 QB next year but how far away is he from turning into Peyton Manning's final year and the defense still looks crappy. Not to mention the Vikings and Bears will make a very competitive division for the foreseeable future. The Browns and Jets look like much better places.

I'm going to support this with no links or sources but McDaniels to Green Bay sounds like a foregone conclusion to me.

Will he be bringing Tim Tebow with him?

I have no problem with hiring McDaniels but if so Murphy has to make sure there is about a 1000 mile gap between the front office and coaching staff.

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/25/denver-broncos-news-josh-mcdaniels-von-miller/

The Jets are a terrible organization. GB will always be a better landing spot than there regardless of talent.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Per Packersnews.com (Silverstein), the Packers requested interviews with McDaniels, Steelers o-line coach Mike Munchak,Patriots LB coach Brian Flores in addition to Campbell.

Live.packersnews.com

Munchak makes sense simply because it would continue the trail of Mikes. I choose to not acknowledge the Ray Rhodes one-year debacle. ;)

I'd be ok with McDaniels or Campbell. Both high energy guys that can command a locker room and aren't going to let Rodgers run the team.

Matt LaFleur is the only one I’m interested in so far from the list.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Matt LaFleur is the only one I’m interested in so far from the list.

I researched him a lot the other day. I like him but wish he could have done more to stand out this year. Can’t fault him really Tennessee didn’t give him great weapons to work with until Henry woke up from 1 1/2 year nfl nap.

A guy can have all the x & o knowledge in world but it all comes down to how he manages a team, lockerroom & players. Gase’s biggest knock is he picked favorites & was willing to lose with them ( things I’ve read about his firing & how players won’t miss him). McVay is special beyond offensive mind. He is a fiery passionate guy that all his players buy into. If he just had x & os he’d be on chopping block. Hard part for team is to decide who has that leadership quality. Who will everyone buy into & follow. Gase I love for x & os, same with McDaniels. Lefleur same boat. Which of them can build the army in locker room to go out & win for them? Campbell I think has that part but not the brilliant football mind. To me that’s fine as long as he hires a guy who does. Easy to hire a great mind to call plays for a true leader than to have a great play caller try to figure out how to lead whole team

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I'm going to support this with no links or sources but McDaniels to Green Bay sounds like a foregone conclusion to me.

A year ago, I would have said ‘no way.’ Now I feel like they’ve played it safe for a few years by rolling with TT / MM and it’s time to take a risk. I fully acknowledge things could blow up in spectacular fashion, but I also think McDaniels may be able to get the most out of an aging Rodgers based on his history with Brady.

I am much less than impressed with the list of retreads and losing coaches being brought in so far. Nothing sounds better than having Chuck failed Pagano named coach.....sigh.

I doubt Pagano and Caldwell are legit candidates. I least I sure as heck hope so. Pagano would be more palatable than Caldwell. Every time I see that guy, I think of the blank look on his face while coaching the 2-14 Colts when they didn't have Manning and were obviously purposely sucking for Luck.

Add Pete Carmichael Jr. to the list ...

With Carmichael and Dan Campbell getting interest, I imagine Joe Lombardi is getting some too.

That tweet sent me down the LaCanfora wormhole; interesting to see from his CBS Sports articles that he was recommending Pat Fitzgerald for the Packers before he even knew about the Mark Murphy connection.

...as an O-Line first guy, I would be extremely interested in Munchak as a guy who can repair the line (along with talent upgrades via the draft), since keeping Rodgers healthy is an essential part of keeping the offense clicking.

Also surprised to see that Rams OC Zac Taylor is Mike Sherman's son-in-law...so maybe that's why he hasn't been linked as an interview candidate just yet.

...as an O-Line first guy, I would be extremely interested in Munchak as a guy who can repair the line (along with talent upgrades via the draft), since keeping Rodgers healthy is an essential part of keeping the offense clicking.

I agree that they need depth/upgrades on the O-line, particularly at guard, but many of the issues with sacks this season lay with scheme and Rodgers trying to extend the play downfield rather than taking the checkdown. PFF has TONS of issues with how they grade offensive lineman, so take it with a grain of salt, but I believe they had the Packers o-line rated as one of the best pass-blocking lines yet the Packers led the league in sacks given up on 3rd down.

As far as the approach Murphy is taking, I like it (other than the fact I'm not crazy about how he's exerted himself rather than allowing Gute to make his own hire). It's reminiscent of what Al Davis would do when making front office and coaching hires 50 years ago. Bring in several candidates, even if you're only seriously considering a couple, just to get as many independent evaluations and opinions of your team as possible before settling on a decision. In that regard, I'm not sure that Munchak is a serious candidate, but from what I recall he had a hell of a run game when he was coach of the Titans and has long had that reputation. So why not pick his brain on how to best utilize Williams & Jones and get his evaluation on the offensive line?

If I were to make a prediction, I think they end up hiring McDaniels. If not for the stunt he pulled last year, I would have to imagine that he would be #1 on almost every team's wish list. When you look at the personnel that NE has on offense (which honestly isn't that great outside of Gronk, when healthy), it's amazing that he's able to squeeze out the amount of point production that they do. He knows how to use situational running backs to maximize their effectiveness. They haven't had a complete back in years, but have maximized the talents of Blount, Lewis and now White. Brady is a complete statue. Imagine a much more mobile Rodgers running that same scheme, and knowing that the scheme will accommodate him as he loses his legs. Brady himself said that Rodgers would throw for 7,000 yards if he was in his place. I know that was some hyperbolic praise, but I would love to find out what kind of offense McDaniels would run.

Gruber Lawffices

Packers were really bad on 3rd down. I attribute some of that to play calling.

So far two teams (Bengals & Packers) have requested interviews with McDaniels. Per multiple reports out there now, McDaniels has turned down the Bengals request and is only interviewing with Green Bay this weekend. Things could change, but as of right now that's the only interview he has accepted.
Gruber Lawffices

So far two teams (Bengals & Packers) have requested interviews with McDaniels. Per multiple reports out there now, McDaniels has turned down the Bengals request and is only interviewing with Green Bay this weekend. Things could change, but as of right now that's the only interview he has accepted.

Makes me wonder if there might be a "wink nod" deal already in place between McDaniels and the Packers. I know many higher ups see McDanials to the Packers as pretty much a foregone conclusion.

Makes me wonder if there might be a "wink nod" deal already in place between McDaniels and the Packers. I know many higher ups see McDanials to the Packers as pretty much a foregone conclusion.

I think it’s more of he doesn’t want to leave New England unless it’s for another highly successful/high class organization. Coaching Cincinnati isn’t as appealing as being the head coach of arguably the most historic franchise in the game.

I think it’s more of he doesn’t want to leave New England unless it’s for another highly successful/high class organization. Coaching Cincinnati isn’t as appealing as being the head coach of arguably the most historic franchise in the game.

True. But the pressure to win in GB, especially with Rodgers' limited time left, is going to be greater.

To play devil's advocate, other than Joe Philbin, the Packers have only had two coaches in their history who had previous pro head coaching experience. Ray Rhodes (1999) and Forrest Gregg (1984-87) did not work out well.

I think McDaniels is the favorite. But, it would seem pretty unlikely that anyone would have any type of "wink nod" agreement before even interviewing the guy. Especially considering some of the red flags with McDaniels. He probably wants to ask just as many questions of the Packers brass as they do him.

The Bengals are notorious for being a poorly run organization and cheap. McDaniels is believed to be making in the range of $3M/yr. From what I can see, Marvin Lewis made $4.5 and that's after 16 years in the organization. Between pay, poor ownership, and a meh team -- I can see why he and other top candidates would say no thanks.

Packers were really bad on 3rd down. I attribute some of that to play calling.

Yep. Too many third down calls were plays designed for big yardage chunks instead of just getting the first down.

I'm all for taking the occasional shot on third and short, but you can't make a living off it like the Packers tried to do this year.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Archived