Brewer Fanatic

Packers to hire LaFleur (page 8), Hackett hired as OC (page 13)

Point Beer Is Best
  • Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no clue who this Fitzgerald guy is but all I keep hearing is that since Mark Murphy hired him somewhere else over 10 years ago he's a favorite. Maybe I'm wrong, but that seems like a pretty dumb reason to hire a coach.

Pat Fitzgerald was an All-American middle linebacker for Northwestern in the 90s, and has been a very solid coach for a team who's high educational standards can make it difficult to compete with other Big 10 teams. He'd be a very solid hire.

I have nothing against Pat Fitzgerald, but I would be disappointed if Mark Murphy’s first instinct is to simply go with the last guy he hired.

I agree that it would be a very "inside the box" hire. But Fitzgerald's connection to Murphy may be the only reason he'd even consider an NFL job. He has strongly resisted NFL overtures in the past.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I have nothing against Pat Fitzgerald, but I would be disappointed if Mark Murphy’s first instinct is to simply go with the last guy he hired.

I agree that it would be a very "inside the box" hire. But Fitzgerald's connection to Murphy may be the only reason he'd even consider an NFL job. He has strongly resisted NFL overtures in the past.

He has done a great job at Northwestern given the difficult recruiting environment, but I'm not sure that makes him a solid NFL hire. Seems like very few college coaches make good NFL coaches.

I love Fitz. NW made a total of 6 bowl games I think in over 100 years prior to him. He has made 9 in 13 years while Northwest is essentially a Ivy League school academically. He is a CEO type. He oversees everything but let’s his coordinators do their job. He is a defensive minded coach as well.

2 issues with him. Doesn’t have the pro relationships to build a great staff. He is going to kind of have to shot in dark. 2nd, the adjustment to the NFL locker room. Not worried about the game as much since he will hire guys who know the NFL game to coordinate.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I have no clue who this Fitzgerald guy is but all I keep hearing is that since Mark Murphy hired him somewhere else over 10 years ago he's a favorite. Maybe I'm wrong, but that seems like a pretty dumb reason to hire a coach.

Gutekunst and Fitzgerald are also reported to really like one another. Gutekunst crossed paths with him quite often when on the scouting trail and there is a lot of respect between the two of them.

Why is Adam Gase so intriguing to a lot of people? His team got worse over his tenure in Miami. His only real claim to fame is when he had Peyton Manning running his show. I don’t get it.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I love Fitz. NW made a total of 6 bowl games I think in over 100 years prior to him. He has made 9 in 13 years while Northwest is essentially a Ivy League school academically. He is a CEO type. He oversees everything but let’s his coordinators do their job. He is a defensive minded coach as well.

2 issues with him. Doesn’t have the pro relationships to build a great staff. He is going to kind of have to shot in dark. 2nd, the adjustment to the NFL locker room. Not worried about the game as much since he will hire guys who know the NFL game to coordinate.

Sounds like a guy who could move to the NFL, I would like a smart manager rather than a guru. Let the coordinators do their jobs so he can focus on managing the players and the games. I don't want our next coach to call plays, I think that is what got MM in trouble. I think college coaches that don't do well in the NFL are often system guys like Chip Kelly but I haven't really looked it up so I could be wrong. Considering all the options like McDaniels who I don't want I could certainly get on board with Fitzgerald, he would be my first choice of the guys mentioned.

So his coordinators are a significant part of the process. Given his/their track record I would guess they are in demand by other schools and with NWU being so academically inclined, and Football isn't a huge cash cow, they would not likely pay their assistants a ton of money, so there should have been plenty of departures. How many of his assistants have been hired away by other schools?

Why is Adam Gase so intriguing to a lot of people? His team got worse over his tenure in Miami. His only real claim to fame is when he had Peyton Manning running his show. I don’t get it.

I guess it’s because he’s seemingly done a lot with nothing there. Without looking, can anyone name 3 players for the Dolphins? I’d be interested in a guy that had a lot of success with an aging HOF QB.

I guess it’s because he’s seemingly done a lot with nothing there. Without looking, can anyone name 3 players for the Dolphins? I’d be interested in a guy that had a lot of success with an aging HOF QB.

Tannehill, Drake, Wilson, Gore, Amendola, Stills, Parker are the offensive players I can think of without looking. Gase kept running 90-year old Gore over Drake. Wouldn’t bold well for those that got after MM for not using Jones.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I like Fitz as a candidate. Only question which was brought up in the JS the other day is assembling a staff. I don't think you take all your college guys with you and since he's always been a college coach he doesn't have many pro connections other than scouts that visit Northwestern.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't know if having NFL connections is a big advantage or disadvantage. Logic would say it's a big advantage. But how many times have we seen NFL coaches just hire all their old lackeys or guys they worked with in the past? Mike McCarthy had worked with Ron Zook in New Orleans...was it such a big coup for the Packers when they hired him as the special teams coordinator? Wasn't Winston Moss among the first guys that McCarthy hired, and wasn't that largely because they worked together in New Orleans?

Obviously it's probably a bad move if the Packers hire Fitzgerald and he just brings his entire coaching staff from Northwestern. But if he is hired, only brings a couple of those guys, and then hires from a pool of NFL guys after extensive interviews...based on the actual resumes and interviews and not "I worked with him in the past"...I almost like that situation better than the "buddy-buddy" system we see so much when coaching staffs are put together.

Check out the new Raider's GM. Hard to believe that move could have been made without Gruden's experience at ESPN. Checking his wiki page, the new GM has no NFL front office experience. I know I'd be feeling great about this if I was a Raiders fan. Yeah, I realize that Gruden is making all the calls there but I'd sure feel better if the main support there consisted of a guy that actually worked in an NFL front office before.

Probably all this talk about Fitzgerald will be for nothing. I'm guessing he will not be the next Packer's coach.

Dan Campbell will interview (requested) is a hard nosed, no nonsense guy who will shake things up. He worked with & took over for Philbin in Miami after the firing. Could seem him retain Joe as OC due to respect he has for him. Maybe steal Pete Carmichael away from Saints with an opportunity to call the plays (Pete has same role with Payton as Joe had with Mike).

He is high energy, believes in building a team & great locker room. If someone is not on board with the overall goal of team.... he will quickly replace them. Moss’s press conferences wouldn’t fly with Campbell. He doesn’t call plays & that is not something he will do.

Think he’d be a very interesting target. Again I like managers. People want accountability to be held... he will accomplish that

I wouldn't hire a coach because of "x" is really an old way of thinking. He's too young/ too old. Offensive/ Defensive background. College coach. I could go on and on. MLB and NBA are breaking out from old ways of thinking, time the Packers do as well. The right person could have virtually any type of background and experience, just get it right.

Adam Gase makes way to much sense for Packers. Figure the Broncos will have large interest in him. My gut tells me McDaniels or Gase will be the pick. Fine with either choice.

I think there are far more issues in Miami that lead to Gase not turning team around than him. Both have worked & helped aging QBs to some incredible seasons. Unlike many other candidates, easier to buy into those guys for Rodgers.... both helped Manning & Brady pass for 50+ TDs. They have proven their worth as top level offensive minds. Tannenhill & Osweiler simply are not good QBs regardless of coach.

I might be biased, but the Packers have to be one of the best destinations for a Head Coach in Football. No reason to settle for an outdated retread, or "connected" candidate. Unfortunately, I smell Murphy going with safe moderate ceiling/high floor candidates and passing on dynamic high risk options (high ceiling/low floor). everything he's done is conservative...

Archived