Brewer Fanatic

Packers to hire LaFleur (page 8), Hackett hired as OC (page 13)

Point Beer Is Best
No Joey, I disagree. This stinks of Russ Ball's penny pinching ways. The story says that Rizzi left GB without an offer. If they'd have made a strong offer while he was in town, who knows. They let him get back to Miami. Then he had time to open his front door and realize Miami is nice and warm. GB, not so much. If you want a quality known NFL commodity you have to pay. We tried to low ball or slow play. We lost.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No Joey, I disagree. This stinks of Russ Ball's penny pinching ways. The story says that Rizzi left GB without an offer. If they'd have made a strong offer while he was in town, who knows. They let him get back to Miami. Then he had time to open his front door and realize Miami is nice and warm. GB, not so much. If you want a quality known NFL commodity you have to pay. We tried to low ball or slow play. We lost.

You say you disagree, then said the exact same thing I did, LOL. They offered him a contact while he was here, the way I read it, he asked for more, he left without a contract, then, the Packers contacted him a few days later and matched his ask. Story (https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/01/29/packers-eyeing-vanderbilt-special-teams-coach-shawn-mennenga/2711911002/) says he "left without the offer he thought was forthcoming", which to me means the offer wasn't what he wanted. Later they met his offer.

I know I read somewhere that he pulled out due to family concerns because he didn't want to relocate his family from Miami, and the flight back and forth was too far. That makes perfect sense to me. Could they have thrown a godfather offer at him as soon as he landed in Green Bay? Maybe. But I think it's also important to have coaches that actually want to be here.

He ended up with the Saints, which is about a 35 minute flight from Miami, so good for him. Worked out well for him. I'm willing to give Mennenga the benefit of the doubt. If anything, hopefully he at least wants to be here.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I mean if a guy leaves without his demands met and then gets his demands met a few days later and he doesn't take the job that doesn't scream to me that he was ever serious about taking said job.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

No, I'm saying Ball low balled him at the start. Then after internal pressure, upped the offer. Rizzi wasn't playing cheap reindeer games and we end up with leftovers. I'm tired after 13 years of special teams being crap.

No, I'm saying Ball low balled him at the start. Then after internal pressure, upped the offer. Rizzi wasn't playing cheap reindeer games and we end up with leftovers. I'm tired after 13 years of special teams being crap.

If Mennenga doesn't do anything to improve that unit, I'll agree with you. I'm not ready to throw the guy under the bus before he even has an office at Lambeau, though. Coming from the Dave Toub tree is certainly not a bad thing in the special teams coaching world.

• 3 weeks later...
If anyone has a subscription to The Athletic, there is an uber comprehensive article about how the Packers offense may look under LaFleur. Really well done with video clips, stats, etc.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• 2 weeks later...
CJ Mosley would look nice in Green Bay. Get him and Houston.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Along with Dee Ford. Having his OLB coach he is very close with & helped get most out of him doesn’t hurt.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Along with Dee Ford. Having his OLB coach he is very close with & helped get most out of him doesn’t hurt.

Nevermind Ford along with Clark, Clooney, and Lawrence all got Tagged today

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Nevermind Ford along with Clark, Clooney, and Lawrence all got Tagged today

They only tagged Ford so they could trade him. They are switching to a 4-3 defense, and he's a poor fit. The Packers would have to give up a good draft pick to get him, though. I think I'd rather sign Houston and not have to give up any picks.

Archived