Brewer Fanatic

Mike Moustakas News

TURBO
The only way I can see Moose getting 3+ years is if Philly misses on Machado and gets desperate and turns to Moustakas. Otherwise, I don’t think his other suitors (Mil, SD, LAA) would be willing to go past 2 years. Maybe San Diego

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The next time I listen to Bill Michaels for inside information will be the first. Especially about MLB or NBA.

Well, considering literally no info on these guys is coming out from anywhere, I guess we gotta take what we can get.

Wouldn't that be more reason to ignore what Michaels is saying? Like if he said it and then Rosenthal or even someone like Haudricourt picked up on that and heard it too, that would be one thing but Michaels said it and nobody has said anything else confirming it. So why would some MLB insider break this bit of news to Bill Michaels, who only talks about baseball when he can compare it to something in football?

The next time I listen to Bill Michaels for inside information will be the first. Especially about MLB or NBA.

Well, considering literally no info on these guys is coming out from anywhere, I guess we gotta take what we can get.

Wouldn't that be more reason to ignore what Michaels is saying? Like if he said it and then Rosenthal or even someone like Haudricourt picked up on that and heard it too, that would be one thing but Michaels said it and nobody has said anything else confirming it. So why would some MLB insider break this bit of news to Bill Michaels, who only talks about baseball when he can compare it to something in football?

I don't deny that the guy is a doofus. The Brewers are a World Series contender coming off arguably the best season in their history, and the Bucks are arguably the best team in the NBA, yet the vast majority of his time is spent arguing about the Packers offseason plans. That said, I think he's too much of an idiot to make of a rumor that specific.

I'd love to bring in Moose if it means moving on from Thames. Once Keston comes up Moose can play opposite Jesus. Perfect scenario IMO

Agree. Just finding a buyer for Thames is hard.

No contending team would take Thames but a rebuilding team might and hope he has a hot half so they can flip him. Of course the Brewers would have to eat at least half of his remaining salary.

No contending team would take Thames but a rebuilding team might and hope he has a hot half so they can flip him. Of course the Brewers would have to eat at least half of his remaining salary.

Thames has one year and a player option.

This is one reason I think the Crew should roll with an Aguilar-Arcia-Shaw-Thames infield for at least the first month. Not only do they get that extra year of free agency with Hirua, but Thmes then could have a hot enough streak that someone will maybe send the Crew an Adam Lind-esque return around May 15 or so...

This is one reason I think the Crew should roll with an Aguilar-Arcia-Shaw-Thames infield for at least the first month. Not only do they get that extra year of free agency with Hirua, but Thmes then could have a hot enough streak that someone will maybe send the Crew an Adam Lind-esque return around May 15 or so...

So once again, you are suggesting that Jesus plays 3B for at least the first month of the season?

You must own a glue factory the way you beat dead horses around here...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

So once again, you are suggesting that Jesus plays 3B for at least the first month of the season?

The thing is... if the Crew wants a good return for Thames, he has to be a very big run producer. That requires playing time. You can't really sit Shaw or Aguilar, they're also both good.

So, how else to get all three in the lineup on a regular basis?

The thing is... if the Crew wants a good return for Thames, he has to be a very big run producer. That requires playing time. You can't really sit Shaw or Aguilar, they're also both good.

You platoon Aguilar and Thames. That's it. Because what you are proposing I very much doubt will happen. This is a World Series-contending team. They have no business playing with the lineup, and putting out a horrible defense just to showcase guys for a potential deal.

While Aguilar is capable of handling 3b a handful of times during the season if needed you don't want him out there nightly for 4-6wks. If the Brewers start with 12 arms due to the way the schedule is designed then they'll have Thames, Gamel, Spangenberg, Perez, Pina. If they go with 13 arms then Gamel or Spangenberg can be optioned. Thames could still be traded during spring, especially if another team suffers an injury. His bat is too big to just cut him and eat money.

Regarding Moose, I'd be open to signing him to a 1yr deal as his bat/glove are worse than Shaw and his bat is worse than what Hiura will be come 2020 so I wouldn't want him beyond 2019. Between 2b/3b/1b having some combo of Shaw, Moose, Aguilar and Hiura every night would be great to see.

And the best part of all of this is Perez gets ever fewer PAs. He lost 125 PA from 2017 to 2018 and this would take even more away. Then factor in Dubon coming up. The writing is on the wall for 2019 to be the last year Perez is here.

Shoring up 2B/SS seems an obvious. Perhaps that will be Moose, moving Shaw to 2B. Who knows what kind of production we will see there the first part of the year, as is. With Hiura in the wings, a one year deal for a good, not fringe MLB player seems to be the play. I mean, it doesn't make sense to get Grandall on a one year deal and not plug another obvious, fixable hole.

If the choice here is either trying to get a good return for Thames, or putting out the lineup likely to win the most games for a team that has WS aspirations, then surely it's not even a close decision?

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

If the choice here is either trying to get a good return for Thames, or putting out the lineup likely to win the most games for a team that has WS aspirations, then surely it's not even a close decision?

Aguilar/Shaw/Thames puts the best offense in the lineup, no question about it. No black holes (other than the risk of Arcia replicating the first half of 2018) aside from the pitcher.

cf: Cain

rf: Yelich

lf: Braun

2b: Shaw

3b: Aguilar

c: Grandal

1b: Thames

ss: Arcia

Where is the weak link in that lineup?

Sounds like the Angels are in pretty heavy now. I think that's the best fit for Moustakas. Still scratching my head over their decision to sign Cozart to all that money and then move him to third. But it appears they currently have David Fletcher scheduled to play 2B, and he was more of a "so-so" prospect who had projected to be a utility player. Signing Moustakas and moving Cozart to 2B to get more of an impact with his glove seems like an ideal situation.

Payroll still could be an issue. The last couple of years they've had the payroll around 166 million and they are already at 170 million. No clue as to how much higher they'd want to go. With the luxury tax at 206 million, they won't need to worry about that aspect of it.

Aguilar/Shaw/Thames puts the best offense in the lineup, no question about it. No black holes (other than the risk of Arcia replicating the first half of 2018) aside from the pitcher.

Defense. Defense is the weak link. And you are not going to admit it, but defense does matter.

To answer your question I'd personally say there isn't one. But I'll ask a follow up question. Where is the weak link in the defense and how weak is that link? Both sides of the ball matter, which goes to my point above about Perez. People say he has great value but only discuss his defense in this regard completely ignoring his 80 OPS+ offense every year.

Not only would Moose be a significant upgrade to Aguilar defensively that would also slide Aguilar back to 1b where he's definitely a better defensive 1b than Thames. There's a chain reaction when you move players around in your lineup above it's not just one spot that's affected. The same applies to your lineup if we don't add Moose and still see Spangenberg/Perez at 2b. It keeps Shaw at 3b (massive upgrade to Aguilar defensively), Aguilar at 1b and even better defense between the platoon at 2b than what Shaw would provide there. Sure you take a hit on the platoon vs Thames' bat but does that offset the loss in defense with the moving parts? No. If Aguilar was a legitimate option at 3b then he'd already be there this year with Shaw at 2b but that's not the case.

Seriously - Thames. 219 ave

Shaw 241

Arcia 236

Grandal 241

If we sign moose back 251 ave.

I see alot of holes. Can live with Arcia because of his above average defense

But to sign moose back and then have Shaw at second doesn't instill alot of

confidence in that lineup. To many below average hitters.

Shaw 241

Arcia 236

Grandal 241

Dude, you (should) know that's a brutal argument. They're all good hitters (OPS+ and other metrics, not to mention eyeballs, confirms this) who get on base at a good clip and hit for power. Arcia's been the only sub-par offensive performer but he's shown flashes of being solid. He's a borderline AS when his bat is going given his defense is great and *better* than above average.

Shaw 241

Arcia 236

Grandal 241

OK, if that is your argument, what is the solution? Personally, I think that Moose is going to provide more to this lineup than a platoon of Perez and Spangenberg. Also, if Perez is playing in a platoon, it removes his value as a versatile jack-of-all-trades.

I'm ok with Moose coming back. I'd be very happy with Marwin Gonzalez as well.

I guess I was referring to what part would be the weak link. Not any players mentioned would scare me on a consistent basis.

Just don't need to see us sign moose, would rather leave Shaw at third and find someone to play second . Or sign moose and trade Shaw, one or the other , I know that batting average isn't the tell all , but it still can't be ignored.

As for eyeball test, I guess people can see what they want. To me Thames doesn't pass. Moose and Shaw offer a good argument. Just saying we have to many below .251 hitters

I guess I was referring to what part would be the weak link. Not any players mentioned would scare me on a consistent basis.

Just don't need to see us sign moose, would rather leave Shaw at third and find someone to play second . Or sign moose and trade Shaw, one or the other , I know that batting average isn't the tell all , but it still can't be ignored.

As for eyeball test, I guess people can see what they want. To me Thames doesn't pass. Moose and Shaw offer a good argument. Just saying we have to many below .251 hitters

But again ... who are you going to sign or trade for to play 2B that is going to provide more value there than Shaw? Personally, I think if Shaw ends up at 2B, there's a strong chance that he's your starting 2B in the 2019 All Star game. Very few current 2B are going to put up the numbers Shaw can from that position.

What numbers are you talking about ? His numbers are not all-star worthy.

Look , I like Shaw , I like him at third . Just saying we don't need two lefty third baseman who are virtually the same. If you think Shaw is the answer at second then we will have to agree to disagree. I don't have a answer, maybe if I had more time or got paid to do so I would , but to me to sign moose doesn't make sense. Could use the money in another area of need.

It’s the day we live in now. There just aren’t that many hitters that hit for high averages. There were under 100 players had averages of .251 or higher a year ago, Moustakas being one of them (and Shaw is a career .255 hitter). There’s 30 teams. Just a little over 3 batters on a team if it were spread out evenly.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

What numbers are you talking about ? His numbers are not all-star worthy.

Look , I like Shaw , I like him at third . Just saying we don't need two lefty third baseman who are virtually the same. If you think Shaw is the answer at second then we will have to agree to disagree. I don't have a answer, maybe if I had more time or got paid to do so I would , but to me to sign moose doesn't make sense. Could use the money in another area of need.

Well, I'm looking at an .825 OPS last year, and an .863 in 2017. I'm looking at 32 bombs last year, and 31 in 2017. Those would very much put him in the All Star conversation as a 2B. He likely is never going to measure up perfectly defensively as a 2B, but he proved last year that he is not out of his league there.

I do agree that Shaw and Moose have skillsets that are somewhat redundant. But this is a World Series-contending squad, and having Shaw in the lineup at 2B makes the lineup deeper than having the Spangenez platoon there. Having Perez as part of a platoon takes away his value as a jack-of-all-trades as well.

Shaw 241

Arcia 236

Grandal 241

I know it's still wildly popular, but batting average is an atrocious measurement of offensive production. Any stat that refers to Travis Shaw as a "hole" is a very, very bad stat.

Archived