Brewer Fanatic

Mike Moustakas News

TURBO
Normally I would say that you just pick someone like Moose up at the deadline. However, the division should be so incredibly competitive that we would probably want him for the entire season. Also, Milwaukee sports fans need to have a player with the nickname Moose as we have had for a while now.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like the Brewers and the Padres are the only teams currently interested. I expect that maybe one or two more will jump in after Machado signs. I predicted Moustakas to Philadelphia figuring they would miss out on Harper and Machado and then would hit the lower tiers of free agency pretty hard. Moustakas seems like a good fit there as Franco's significant OBP problems continue.

The market seems so slow on Moustakas that I would be surprised if he got any multi-year offers and wouldn't rule out that his deal would be less than the last one (5.5 million plus 1 more million as a mutual option). If it ends up in the 4-5 million area, then he really should be on the table for any team that could use third base help because that price-tag shouldn't scare off rebuilding or small market teams.

There are many teams that could probably use some help at 3B.

-Angels currently have Zach Cozart at 3B and David Fletcher at 2B. Cozart could go back to 2B where his glove would likely have more of an impact and Fletcher goes to utility infielder which is what he was projected as.

-Toronto probably starts the year with Brandon Drury at 3B. Moustakas is a huge upgrade over Drury and (1) good bridge to get them to Guerrero (2) trade bait when Guerrero gets to the majors.

-Would be a cheap enough investment for the Royals to generate some fan interest as I think he was a favorite there.

-White Sox have Yolmer Sanchez at 3B and he's a lifetime .242/.293/.368/.661 hitter.

And that's just a start, definitely a few more teams that could use help at 3B.

And Steamer projects Moustakas as a 2.7 WAR player next year so it's surprising there isn't at least a half dozen teams after him. Should be noted that Boras is his agent and may still be running around throwing out a 3 year, 45 million dollar demand...that would explain a lack of interest from most clubs.

Moose is a solid defender. Because of that, I would work him at 2b in camp as well. Players like certainty, but baseball is a sport that is starting to really value versatility. Given Hiura's arm issues in the past, I think they view his secondary position as 1b/DH. So having Moose and Shaw capable of filling in multiple spots as regular starters would be good.

Moose is a solid defender. Because of that, I would work him at 2b in camp as well. Players like certainty, but baseball is a sport that is starting to really value versatility. Given Hiura's arm issues in the past, I think they view his secondary position as 1b/DH. So having Moose and Shaw capable of filling in multiple spots as regular starters would be good.

No offense but is this a joke? Hiura is not at all a first baseman. He’s like 5’10 and thin. Sure, we had Prince there at about 5’11..but he played there his entire career and frankly couldn’t possibly play any other position at his size.

No offense but is this a joke? Hiura is not at all a first baseman. He’s like 5’10 and thin. Sure, we had Prince there at about 5’11..but he played there his entire career and frankly couldn’t possibly play any other position at his size.

I’m not always a fan of Keith Law’s commentary, but I believe he was correct when he said if Hiura has to move off of 2B his next option is playing 1B. I’ve heard the possibility of ending up in the outfield corners mentioned by others, but I don’t think his arm will play in the OF. All that being said, I think he will be okay at 2B for the foreseeable future.

I don’t actually think Hiura’s past arm issues are the culprit as much as the fact he has always had a below average arm and his range appears somewhat limited. I couldn’t be more excited for Hiura’s bat, but defensively I’m just rooting for him to be able to play a passable 2B.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I've read several times where Stearns has said there are no problems w/ Hiura at 2B. I think several folks remember he couldn't play the field when initially drafted but they've forgotten why and have made up an alternate narrative. It sure seems there's always someone thinking Hiura is actually incapable of playing 2B -- that he's THAT bad defensively -- and that's just not the case.

Hiura wasn't fully recovered from elbow surgery when he was drafted, so he was only able to DH at the time. He's been fine in the field the next year and ever since. He's no Roberto Alomar in the field, but he's also no Rickie Weeks or Daniel Murphy.

On a different note, that Yahoo link re: Moustakas is basically a note that cites Ken Rosenthal's article/note in The Athletic -- so nothing new.

Moose was great at 3B, Shaw did well at 2nd. Huira should never play 1st. DH will be here soon enough so with his average 2B defense.... he can split between 2B and DH.

With it looking like DH will be here by at latest 2020.... I think locking Moose up for a 3 year deal could be wise. Shaw, Moose, Aguilar, Huira in 2020 to split up 1b 2B 3B & DH is nice to have

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I think several folks remember he couldn't play the field when initially drafted but they've forgotten why and have made up an alternate narrative. It sure seems there's always someone thinking Hiura is actually incapable of playing 2B -- that he's THAT bad defensively -- and that's just not the case.

That seems like a strange theory. I don’t think many people are actually saying Hiura is incapable of playing second base. I think he will be a serviceable defensive 2B, and haven’t come across much sentiment to the contrary. Regarding the “made up alternate narrative”, I actually think the opposite sometimes occurs. I think the arm injury has masked the fact that he has a below average arm when perfectly healthy. I don’t think it will have a profound impact since 2B isn’t a position where you need to rifle the ball across the diamond in the high-80’s very often. He will be fine, but he also won’t likely be competing for Gold Gloves.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I think you misunderstood. Hiura is a 2b. I was stating that the Brewers are shifting towards positional versatility and it never hurts to work guys out at other spots. My suggestion was Moose workout at 2b a bit this spring if signed. I never advocated moving Hiura.

Bill Michaels (yeah, I know) says that Moose is looking for a 3 year deal in the $28-35 million range. I personally don't think that is unreasonable. If you can get him at 3 years and $30 million, that's solid value. Also. if Hiura proves ready sooner than later, it gives you a solid trade chip.

Bill Michaels (yeah, I know) says that Moose is looking for a 3 year deal in the $28-35 million range. I personally don't think that is unreasonable. If you can get him at 3 years and $30 million, that's solid value. Also. if Hiura proves ready sooner than later, it gives you a solid trade chip.

Would Bill Michaels actually know anything like that? I feel like he's throwing numbers out that make sense to him.

Would Bill Michaels actually know anything like that? I feel like he's throwing numbers out that make sense to him.

He said "from what he's heard". Could be blowing smoke, but I could imagine he might have a legit source somewhere.

He said "from what he's heard". Could be blowing smoke, but I could imagine he might have a legit source somewhere.

Yeah, at numale medical

I'd like to bring Moustakas back as it lengthens the lineup significantly (even if it means Travis Shaw is a regular 2B), but not at $9-$12 million per. At most, I would see a 2 year $14 million commitment and that would be stretching it given the coming of Hiura and the likely league average platoon of Spangenberg/Perez.

I'd like to bring Moustakas back as it lengthens the lineup significantly (even if it means Travis Shaw is a regular 2B), but not at $9-$12 million per. At most, I would see a 2 year $14 million commitment and that would be stretching it given the coming of Hiura and the likely league average platoon of Spangenberg/Perez.

This is where I am at with it as well.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived