Brewer Fanatic

Mike Moustakas News

TURBO

Jon Heyman of Fancred Sports reports that the Cardinals have Mike Moustakas "on (their) radar."

Heyman adds that the Brewers have interest in bringing Moustakas back, although that might only be the case if they decide to non-tender Jonathan Schoop. Moustakas finished with a .251/.315/.459 batting line with 28 home runs and 95 RBI last season for the Royals and Brewers, although he hit just .234/.306/.423 from May 1 on. Still, the 30-year-old should be able to net a multi-year contract this offseason after having to settle for a one-year deal last winter.

Source: Jon Heyman on TwitterNov 26 - 9:32 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope Moustakas is a back up plan for the Brewers. He's an ok player, but would love a higher OBP guy even if it means giving up some slugging.

Trade Thames for a bag of balls and sing Moose. Jesus/Shaw at 1b.

or

Trade Thames and Jesus and sign Moose. Braun and Shaw at 1b. We could actually get something for Jesus.

I hope Moustakas is a back up plan for the Brewers. He's an ok player, but would love a higher OBP guy even if it means giving up some slugging.

or

Trade Thames and Jesus and sign Moose. Braun and Shaw at 1b. We could actually get something for Jesus.

I'm not so sure why you're trading Aguilar to make room for Moose...

or

I'm not so sure why you're trading Aguilar to make room for Moose...

Make room for Braun, which makes room in the outfield.

This would be a "meh" move to me. I wouldn't hate it or love it.

Actually it would mean Schoop has zero chance of being offered arby. So I guess that would be cool.

I don't see it though. It would create a problem regarding Hiura...with nowhere to play. Sure their little logjam worked last year, but that was for half a season and it didn't require a multi year commitment to someone. Not saying they couldn't make a move to fix that (trade Hiura or Aguilar/Shaw), but I just don't think that type of scenario is likely. And no...I don't see then creating a logjam by signing a guy to a multi-year deal. Mid-season rental sure, but not like this.

Trading Thames and resigning Moose gives you a lot of platoon/positional flexibility

1B: Aggy (130g) Shaw (32g)

2B: Huira (90g) Shaw (55g) Perez (17g)

3B: Moose (120g) Shaw (42g)

SS: Arcia (120g) Dubon (42g)

CC would die before allowing Perez to get fewer than 300 ABs

Trading Thames and resigning Moose gives you a lot of platoon/positional flexibility

+1. The only way that doesn't happen is if Sogard has a mediocre or better ST and makes the club.

• 3 weeks later...

Mike Puma of the New York Post reports that last week the Mets discussed the idea of free agent Mike Moustakas to bolster their infield.

This was before the Mets signed Wilson Ramos, so it's unclear how things might have changed in regard to budget and roster priority. The club still needs depth for the outfield, but securing some corner-infield insurance makes some sense. Todd Frazier could always slide over to first base if Peter Alonso isn't quite ready or struggles in his first stint in the majors, but there's probably a better fit for Moustakas elsewhere. The 30-year-old batted .251/.315/.459 with 28 home runs and 95 RBI over 152 games last season for the Royals and Brewers.

Source: Mike Puma on TwitterDec 18 - 2:40 PM

I think it is unlikely we get him back, especially since he past up the mutual option at such a high amount. The only chance is if we have Shaw on the block, and we are looking to fill his absence. It would take a 3 or 4 year deal at 15 million to get his interest, though, which would be a real stretch.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I hope Moustakas signs elsewhere. He's a solid hitter, but we've really got his position (3B) covered for a few years (and cheaper) with Shaw.

I also don't like Moustakas' body/build - he looks like the kind of guy who could age very quickly. He's not an asset on the bases, and he's only going to get worse. He doesn't walk that much to begin with, and I could see him really having problems if he loses a half step and/or a bit of bat speed.

His body sort of reminds me of Todd Frazier. Frazier had a good power bat and was a good fielder, but really has struggled since he turned 30. But at least Frazier walks a lot. I could see Moose becoming a .220 hitter with some power - but little else.

However, I certainly won't freak if Moustakas resigns. I'm sure the front office has a better feel for the guy's skills than someone like myself. And in the end, if we can limit the years and dollars, it could be a good deal. But we shall see.

+1. The only way that doesn't happen is if Sogard has a mediocre or better ST and makes the club.

Sogard could go 20/20 in his ST at-bats and should be NOWHERE near the big league team to begin this season. I'm sure he's a great guy and all, but he can't play at a major league caliber. Last year wasn't just a down year, it was horrid.

• 3 weeks later...

According to MLB.com's Jon Morosi, the White Sox and Phillies are monitoring the Mike Moustakas market.

It sounds like Moustakas is the fallback plan for each club should Manny Machado sign elsewhere. Morosi also pegs the Padres as a "potential suitor" for Moustakas, or a potential trade destination for Maikel Franco if the Phillies wind up landing Machado -- believed to be their top target, even ahead of Bryce Harper. Moustakas, 30, batted .251/.315/.459 with 28 home runs and 95 RBI in 162 games last year between the Royals and Brewers.

Source: MLB.comJan 8 - 8:38 PM

From the guy on Twitter that broke the orginal Moustakas trade to the Brewers:

Hearing #Brewers have sent a contract offer to 3B Mike Moustakas

11:08 AM - 9 Jan 2019 from Port Orange, FL

https://twitter.com/bucksbrett/status/1083078178523045889

Shaw wouldn't be my first choice to fill the 2B hole, but I suppose if the contract were affordable enough, they could make it work. It would make that lineup murder against righties, but I would worry about facing tough lefties.

I really wouldn't mind this. Having Shaw/Perez in a bit of a 2b platoon with Shaw getting some work at 1b as well. Eventually Hiura/Dubon will come up and Perez will most likely be left out. We have a lot of options this way. I would hope the offer is very team friendly though.

In September and the postseason, I felt really good about our team against RHP with Yelich/Shaw/Moose. It was against LHP that we didn't match up well...and that was primarily Schoop and Aguilar's fault as they were expected to mash lefties. I think Hiura will be better than Schoop was for us last year starting with his very first game in the big leagues.

I was really hoping for an actual 2B in the off season, rather than the infield musical chairs scenario...

Perhaps I am misreading things and they feel that Hiura will be up this season. If that happens, you have Moose, Shaw and Perez to rotate between 3B and 1B with Aguilar based on matchups. They could start Perez at 3B against tough lefties. Not ideal in my mind, but if they feel that Moose provides more value than who they are looking at on the FA market at 2B, I get it. They were linked to Moose at this time last year, and obviously they traded for him and played him every day through the stretch run, so it's pretty obvious that they like him.

I was fine with Moustakas last year, shuffling Shaw over to 2B for the short term in order to fit a bat with playoff experience and all that. I'm less interested in it for the long term. Shaw was OK at 2B, but it's a waste of his very good defense at 3B. And he is at best a below-average defender at 2B. If the team is going for a "big" signing I'd prefer it to be a 2B.

I am guessing we have a lot of contract offers out there. Just like the reliever yesterday, you tell these guys that the first one to take it gets it. With how the offseason has gone, this is a pretty good strategy.

I know Moose doesn't typically carry a strong OBP, but I always felt like I he was a tough out & didn't give away PAs. Plus his defense is so good.

I'd be happy to have him back, and like wallus points out, if Hiura forces his way into the lineup midseason, we'd have the versatility to make that happen & still get guys the types of PAs they should be getting.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived