Brewer Fanatic

Madison Bumgarner

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was under the impression that the Giants shopped Bumgarner, and the offers were so low that they pulled him off the market.

If a team overpays for him, it will very likely be because of his playoff reputation, and have nothing to do with actual data. Because when looking at the numbers, they pretty much scream that this is a player that has to be approached with a great deal of caution.

I was under the impression that the Giants shopped Bumgarner, and the offers were so low that they pulled him off the market.

Usually that leads to one of two things- rolling with a guy that has control (ala the Marlins and Realmuto), or you come back to the table later on with a more realistic goal in your asking price. The Giants are going nowhere this year, and they have zero reason to hold on to Bumgarner other than maybe to hope he has more value over a half season at the deadline than he does now, which is hit or miss.

I'd give up Ray for him, but probably not much else. He'd undeniably be an upgrade in the rotation, though.

If Ray is the keynote piece going back, I make that deal yesterday. Ray is a nice prospect, and coming off a breakout season certainly increases his value. But I have a hard time seeing where he fits into the Brewers' contention window, and he is likely always going to have contact and swing-and-miss tendencies, which is going to lead to a low average and middling OBP. It seems that Stearns is making a concerted effort to get away from those types, so it doesn't surprise me that Ray is on the block.

Corey Ray is more than I'd want to give up for MadBum, but it could be a start.

I'd probably do Ray plus a couple 40 FV guys for MadBum/Fresh Prince.

I would definitely welcome a Will Smith reunion, he is still a good pitcher.

Ray sorta has the same issues as some of the guys Stearns traded for Yelich. He's got hit tool issues so I would not be surprised to see the Brewers move him.

I'd be fine with giving up Ray for Bumgarner even though I don't think Bumgarner is an Ace any more. He's still probably the Brewers best SP in 2019 of this acquire him.

The Brewer Nation

‏@BrewerNation

Following Following @BrewerNation

.@jonmorosi said on #MLBNHotStove that from "what [he] can gather" over the last 48 hours, the "strongest possibility" to trade for Madison Bumgarner (if SF trades him before ST) is the #Brewers. Morosi specified "the key piece the Giants would need" is OF prospect Corey Ray.

The Brewer Nation

@BrewerNation

14m14 minutes ago

Morosi also said that he considers the trade market for Bumgarner to be Milwaukee's show since the other major possibility to trade for Bumgarner, the Phillies, is engaged on Harper, Machado, and Keuchel. He feels the #Brewers don't want to pay Keuchel's current asking price.

Ray for Madbum would be the biggest no brainer in history. Yes Madbum has many concerns as laid out in this thread, but so does Corey freaking Ray - the guy who looked like he couldn't hit high school pitching just one season ago. Let alone the glut of OFers in his way. If Ray is the centerpiece, I don't see how we say no.

If Ray is the keynote piece going back, I make that deal yesterday. Ray is a nice prospect, and coming off a breakout season certainly increases his value. But I have a hard time seeing where he fits into the Brewers' contention window, and he is likely always going to have contact and swing-and-miss tendencies, which is going to lead to a low average and middling OBP. It seems that Stearns is making a concerted effort to get away from those types, so it doesn't surprise me that Ray is on the block.

I agree with the point that I think it’s more likely Ray will ultimately be used as a trade chip as opposed to becoming an every day player for the Brewers in the next couple of seasons. He’s now 24, so pretty close to entering his peak seasons without a clear path to MLB playing time in the near future.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

You'd have to assume we will get either Bumgarner or Gray at this point. I honestly think Ray is probably worth more than Bumgarner (his increasing FIP scares me) but wouldn't be upset if they move him.

Ray, Erceg and Houser for Bumgarner and Smith.

The first few pages of this thread were about Burnes and Woodruff as possible trade chips for Bumgarner. I would be steadfastly against that as many here were also. If the speculation has fallen to Corey Ray as the center piece that would be good. I don't know that Ray alone is enough, but if he's the best piece going the Giants way I'd say that's a good trade for the Brewers.

Ray, Erceg and Houser for Bumgarner and Smith.

Ray as a centerpiece for a potentially fading Ace and FA-to-be in Bumgarner, with a position-blocked Erceg as a secondary piece makes a lot of sense. While I would hope Ray, Erceg and Houser could get Smith as well, I doubt this would occur unless the Giants were interested in ditching Smith's salary as well.

If the Giants are trading Bumgarner to the Brewers I expect it to be something along the lines of Ray, Erceg and a lottery ticket for Bumgarner alone.

Erceg will just be turning 24 around opening day and may be in AAA to start the season. That doesn't make him overly old at all. He was in college when they drafted him.

Unless Will Smith would be in this sort of deal, too, thus necessitating a larger return to SF, and Erceg's not someone I'd be really eager to include since he's our best 3B prospect.

Erceg's not position-blocked yet since he's not likely an MLB-ready player yet, either. For that matter, since he wasn't exactly overwhelming at AAA, it's no sure thing he's completely AAA-ready yet. A lot can change in a year's time (Shaw, Hiura, short-term 2B solution, etc.) that might bring him up sooner or make him more valuable to our organization.

That said, I really like the idea of Madison Bumgarner as a Brewer and would gladly surrender Corey Ray in a deal if that's what it took.

I really like Corey Ray, and unlike many others here I see a quite clear route for him to contribute in 2020 if he remains with the team. I expect him to continue his "breakout" and will put up some really big numbers in San Antonio this year.

That being said, strengthening SP through a deal that doesn't include Hiura, Burnes, Peralta or Woodruff (Since those deals just creates holes elsewhere) is something I'm in favour of. I don't like giving up good prospects for 1-year rentals though, but I can live with it as a LHSP who can go deep into games helps on so many levels.

Yeah, I don't consider Erceg position blocked as he is at minimum a year away (assuming the best) and the Shaw situation also seems fluid. By 2020 Shaw could be at 2B or part of trade out while the team still has cheap, controlled years remaining.

Erceg didn't hit enough in 2017 and 2018 to assume any sort of fast track. I assume he would start in AAA, but it wouldn't be a shocker if he started in AA and moved mid-season.

So, I would be willing to part with him if it was needed to push a trade through that we wanted. Especially if it meant getting Smith for the bullpen.

I'm sure the Giants would need a young MLB ready pitcher and young OFer in return for Bumgarner. Exactly who it is might be negotiable given his recent injury history and expiring contract.

The D'Backs got three intriguing pieces and a Competitive Balance pick in exchange for Goldschmidt. Thus, I don't think the Giants would trade Bumgarner straight up for Corey Ray.

Jon Morosi of MLB Network believes the Brewers are the most likely landing spot in a trade for Madison Bumgarner.

There have been reports that Bumgarner is available for quite some time, but the most recent rumblings have been that the southpaw will get dealt over the summer rather than the winter. The 29-year-old posted a 3.26 ERA last year, but he was limited to just 129 2/3 innings because of a fractured left pinkie a year after throwing only 111. What the Brewers would be willing to give up for Bumgarner is obviously the biggest question, as he'll be a free agent at the end of the year.

Source: Tom Haudricourt on TwitterJan 7 - 9:42 AM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived