Brewer Fanatic

Madison Bumgarner

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/madison-bumgarner-im-walking-right-ballpark-giants-use-opener-ace-230831660.html

I forgot how much of a pretentious entitled diva this guy is. I don't want him just for that reason.

Between his comments and Buster Posey's yesterday, the Giants clubhouse seems to rival the Cardinals for total number of sticks up butts.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/madison-bumgarner-im-walking-right-ballpark-giants-use-opener-ace-230831660.html

I forgot how much of a pretentious entitled diva this guy is. I don't want him just for that reason.

Between his comments and Buster Posey's yesterday, the Giants clubhouse seems to rival the Cardinals for total number of sticks up butts.

Can number of sticks up butts be a new analytical tool please?

Can number of sticks up butts be a new analytical tool please?

I’m pretty sure Brian McCann, “madbum” and Molina took them all. Lots of sticks.

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

You know that he didn't actually walk out of the park once an opener was used for him. He didn't even TWEET that that is what he would do. It was a private txt from him to Bochy that Bochy made public. If you want to judge somebody as a pretentious entitled diva based on private txts not meant for the public...well... that's not a road I want to go down.

I'd say that Bochy used poor judgment more than Bumgarner.

You know that he didn't actually walk out of the park once an opener was used for him. He didn't even TWEET that that is what he would do. It was a private txt from him to Bochy that Bochy made public. If you want to judge somebody as a pretentious entitled diva based on private txts not meant for the public...well... that's not a road I want to go down.

I don't see what the difference public or private would have in this case, unless you are saying he was joking because it was to Bochy?

Because if he wasn't joking, then the point remains. He is going to throw fits if he isn't treated in the way he feels he should be. Not someone I want on the team (not that I did before that tweet/text came out for full disclosure).

I have no problem with what he said. He's an accomplished vet, and has a right to feel this way. I'm sure he's not alone. Bochy is an old school guy, and probably not a big fan of these new creative ways to us the pitching staff. Looks like he's using Madbum to send a message to the front office.

I don't see what the difference public or private would have in this case, unless you are saying he was joking because it was to Bochy?

Because if he wasn't joking, then the point remains. He is going to throw fits if he isn't treated in the way he feels he should be. Not someone I want on the team (not that I did before that tweet/text came out for full disclosure).

In this case it makes all the difference. He wasn't "joking," but he was hyperbolizing his opinion in private, which is a big nothingburger. If in a press conference, somebody asked him his opinion of "opener's" perhaps he would just say "I don't like the idea." Which is probably the same opinion as 90+% of every other 29+ year old MLB pitcher who has been a "starter" his entire career.

Part of what has made Bumgarner an ace is a certain type of bullheadedness. Sometimes, that's bad (throwing at Braun last year...in a meaningless game for the Giants mind you). Sometimes that's good--being a dominant ace on 2 World Series Champions and a significant contributor on a third. There is a possibility that if you take away that emotional stubbornness that can sometimes result in minor negatives you run the risk of also taking away the edge that makes him a potential HOFer.

That type of attitude is certainly not worth the risk on a marginal talent, but Bumgarner isn't a marginal talent. Still, it's just part of his entire package that one would take into account when ascribing what his value would be in a trade, but it's not something that you would write him off as a complete bonehead for, or as a reason why you would have no interest in having on your team no matter what.

This is the same guy who yelled "Don't look at me!" at a hitter because he was pissy that he made a bad pitch. The same guy who yelled at the entire Texas Rangers' bench because he didn't like the way they were playing the game. The same guy who yelled "You're not that (expletive) good!" at Alex Guerrero multiple times simply for being frustrated at popping up a pitch. The same guy who throws beanballs every time he feels the slightest whiff of disrespect.

He's a pretentious entitled diva. This is simply another small exhibit among many.

This is the same guy who yelled "Don't look at me!" at a hitter because he was pissy that he made a bad pitch. The same guy who yelled at the entire Texas Rangers' bench because he didn't like the way they were playing the game. The same guy who yelled "You're not that (expletive) good!" at Alex Guerrero multiple times simply for being frustrated at popping up a pitch. The same guy who throws beanballs every time he feels the slightest whiff of disrespect.

He's a pretentious entitled diva. This is simply another small exhibit among many.

Don't forget how he plunked Braun...

Right before Schoop hit that salami off him. Recently re-watched that, and ENJOYED watching Schoop hit that drive.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't forget how he plunked Braun...

Right before Schoop hit that salami off him. Recently re-watched that, and ENJOYED watching Schoop hit that drive.

Anything we can do to improve our team now so we don’t need a pitcher like this idiot near or at deadline I’m for.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I doubt anyone would give up much for him and I also doubt he would be the one to destroy the chemistry.

I agree with this statement. The big question would be whether he would be any better than the options the team already has available? Perhaps playing for a contender would energize him like it seemingly did for Verlander, but it could also be argued that Bumgarner has also fallen off more and for a longer sustained period than Verlander did in his last year as a Tiger.

I doubt anyone would give up much for him and I also doubt he would be the one to destroy the chemistry.

If he’s even pitching well enough for the brewers to want to trade for him,reports I’ve heard one of Burnes,woodruff or Peralta among other

Lessor pieces. Being facetious when I say half the farm > No thanks.

The Giants really don't seem to have much of a plan right now. They should be rebuilding but have held on to all their good players and signed a bunch of crappy veterans. I'd guess they're of the mindset right now that they would have to be blown away by an offer to trade Bumhole.

The Giants really don't seem to have much of a plan right now. They should be rebuilding but have held on to all their good players and signed a bunch of crappy veterans. I'd guess they're of the mindset right now that they would have to be blown away by an offer to trade Bumhole.

I think 2018 was a failed "let's try this one more time" idea. Not a great idea but I think they're done now. They barely did anything this offseason.

I think if they have any sign of struggle this year you'll see a firesale.

Most of their issue is that the only tradeable expensive vets are Posey and MadBum, maybe. The issue with them is that nobody wants to offer much for .5-1 year of a declining MadBum and I'm not sure if Posey is worth 3/$66 anymore that he has left.

Cueto, Longoria, Shark, Melancon will have to just rot away most likely. Belt, Panik, Smith probably can and will be dealt when their value is at its peak if they don't see them in the long-term plans.

I think all this ^^^ may prove true re: the 2019 Giants. That said, I'd also just love it if they get their collective act together and beat out LA to win the division. They have some high-end talent. Of course, they have lots of others who are something appreciably less than high-end talent, too. But it'd be cool -- only if the Brewers aren't the NL team in the WS -- if the Giants gave Bruce Bochy the best retirement present ever, one more WS title.

Well, as I said, at minimum it'd be cool for them to beat out big-money LA for the NL West crown.

Easy to root for a $199M payroll team to get beat out by a scrappy $205M payroll team. ;)

Yeah, I just don't understand why the Giants winning it all is any better, at all, over the Dodgers...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived