Brewer Fanatic

Miscellaneous Winter League Notes

Mass Haas
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While it was hard to not appreciate the 2018 Dominican Summer League stats of RHP Wilber Perez, who was the add-in piece to join LHP Kodi Medeiros to the White Sox for RHP Joakim Soria, Perez just wrapped up his age 20 season.

There was another Brewers' "Wilber" who was more impressive.

Listed at 6'3", 170, RHP Wilber Diaz pitched most of 2018 as a 17-year-old, and he posted a 0.79 WHIP in his first 26.2 pro innings.

Here's a tweet indicating that Diaz has signed with Leones del Caracas in his native Venezuela. One would think that this is almost like a "future" Winter League contract, but perhaps we'll see him in a box score before the winter season wraps up.

DuT7SKgWoAAk5Td.jpg

Arcia is an extremely talented player both defensively and offensively. I never agreed with the assessment that his ceiling with the bat was limited. He just got lazy and got in some bad habits. He has All Star ability if he can ever get off to a good start. That he's hitting in winter ball is a good sign.

22-year-old RHP Carlos Luna, who dazzled in his 2nd pro season in the Dominican Summer League, missed the next two full seasons (Tommy John), and then fared well (0.95 WHIP) in Maryvale last summer, is reportedly pitching well in relief in his native Panama (certainly one of the less-documented pro winter leagues).

LHP Alex Claudio's 2nd appearance in Puerto Rico (his first was a single inning to shake off the rust, as you'll see in the game log at that link) -- 3 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K

Classic Claudio for two innings, ground balls for hits and outs.

Bizarro Claudio in his 3rd inning, three balls in the air.

Caguas Top of the 5th

Pitching Change: Alex Claudio replaces Nicholas Padilla.

Jonathan Morales singles on a ground ball to right fielder Henry Ramos.

Jack Lopez flies out to right fielder Henry Ramos.

Willie Abreu grounds into a force out, pitcher Alex Claudio to shortstop Jeremy Rivera. Jonathan Morales out at 2nd. Willie Abreu to 1st.

Rusney Castillo singles on a ground ball to right fielder Henry Ramos. Willie Abreu to 2nd.

Victor Caratini hit by pitch. Willie Abreu to 3rd. Rusney Castillo to 2nd.

Vimael Machin grounds out to first baseman Yariel Gonzalez.

Caguas Top of the 6th

David Vidal singles on a ground ball to center fielder Jay Gonzalez.

Jancarlos Cintron singles on a line drive to right fielder Henry Ramos. David Vidal to 2nd.

Dayron Varona pops out to first baseman Yariel Gonzalez on the infield fly rule.

Jonathan Morales grounds into a double play, shortstop Jeremy Rivera to second baseman Jesmuel Valentin to first baseman Yariel Gonzalez. Jancarlos Cintron out at 2nd.

Caguas Top of the 7th

Jack Lopez flies out to center fielder Jay Gonzalez.

Willie Abreu pops out to third baseman Emmanuel Rivera.

Rusney Castillo flies out to center fielder Jay Gonzalez.

First an FYI - for those of you who had been referring regularly to this link for winter league stats, keep in mind that it only reflects "regular season" numbers. In the Dominican League (LIDOM at the link), there is a weeks-long postseason round robin that takes place, and it is already three games in. Now, at this time, only RH reliever Tristan Archer is active in the DWL. Archer has been excellent in two postseason games, including inheriting and stranding three baserunners. Those games won't be reflected on his stat page. Before long, that will be the case for the Venezuelan stats as well.

Junior Guerra's 2nd appearance in Venezuela was eventful, and we got a Guerra-vs.-Aguilar matchup.

1.2 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 2 HBP, 0 K

Aragua Top of the 5th

Pitching Change: Junior Guerra replaces David Kubiak.

Ezequiel Carrera singles on a line drive to center fielder Yonathan Daza.

Carlos Tocci flies out to right fielder Teodoro Martinez.

Henry Alejandro Rodriguez flies out to center fielder Yonathan Daza.

Franklin Barreto hit by pitch. Ezequiel Carrera to 2nd.

Jesus Aguilar flies out to left fielder Gregor Blanco.

Aragua Top of the 6th

Jose Tabata grounds out, second baseman Luis Mendez to first baseman Jose Martinez.

Anthony Santander flies out to left fielder Gregor Blanco.

Gabriel Lino hit by pitch.

Gabriel Noriega singles on a line drive to right fielder Teodoro Martinez. Gabriel Lino to 3rd.

Ezequiel Carrera singles on a fly ball to left fielder Gregor Blanco. Gabriel Lino scores. Gabriel Noriega to 2nd.

Carlos Tocci singles on a line drive to right fielder Teodoro Martinez. Gabriel Noriega to 3rd. Ezequiel Carrera to 2nd.

Mound Visit.

Pitching Change: Sam Runion replaces Junior Guerra.

Henry Alejandro Rodriguez flies out to center fielder Yonathan Daza.

Orlando Arcia 3-for-6 with two doubles and three RBI in a wild 14-13 ten-inning loss in Venezuela Sunday (box).

Rough night for Junior Guerra Wednesday --

Aragua Bottom of the 7th

Pitching Change: Junior Guerra replaces Sam Runion.

Henry Alejandro Rodriguez walks.

Mound Visit.

Franklin Barreto singles on a soft ground ball to third baseman Alberto Gonzalez. Henry Alejandro Rodriguez to 2nd.

Yeltsin Gudino strikes out swinging.

Jose Tabata singles on a ground ball to right fielder Teodoro Martinez. Henry Alejandro Rodriguez scores. Franklin Barreto to 2nd.

Anthony Santander homers (5) on a fly ball to right center field. Franklin Barreto scores. Jose Tabata scores.

Mound Visit.

Pitching Change: Ulises Joaquin replaces Junior Guerra.

In the same game, in the opposing dugout, Jesus Aguilar walked, then struck out twice, and was ejected arguing a called third strike.

In Puerto Rico, LHP Alex Claudio's outing --

Caguas Top of the 6th

Jonathan Morales walks.

Yadiel Rivera singles on a fly ball to right fielder Henry Ramos. Jonathan Morales to 2nd.

Jack Lopez singles on a line drive to left fielder Danny Ortiz. Jonathan Morales to 3rd. Yadiel Rivera to 2nd.

Jancarlos Cintron singles on a line drive to center fielder Jay Gonzalez. Jonathan Morales scores. Yadiel Rivera to 3rd. Jack Lopez to 2nd.

Pitching Change: Alberto Rodriguez replaces Jonathan Sanchez.

Rusney Castillo strikes out swinging.

Pitching Change: Alex Claudio replaces Alberto Rodriguez.

Victor Caratini doubles (1) on a fly ball to left fielder Danny Ortiz. Yadiel Rivera scores. Jack Lopez scores. Jancarlos Cintron to 3rd.

Alex Claudio intentionally walks David Vidal.

Dayron Varona out on a sacrifice fly to left fielder Danny Ortiz. Jancarlos Cintron scores.

Geraldo Valentin grounds out, pitcher Alex Claudio to first baseman Yariel Gonzalez.

Caguas Top of the 7th

Jonathan Morales grounds out, third baseman Emmanuel Rivera to first baseman Yariel Gonzalez.

Yadiel Rivera grounds out, pitcher Alex Claudio to first baseman Yariel Gonzalez.

Jack Lopez grounds out, shortstop Jesmuel Valentin to first baseman Yariel Gonzalez.

Caguas Top of the 8th

Jancarlos Cintron singles on a ground ball to center fielder Jay Gonzalez.

Rusney Castillo singles on a line drive to right fielder Henry Ramos. Jancarlos Cintron to 2nd.

Victor Caratini grounds into a force out, fielded by third baseman Emmanuel Rivera. Jancarlos Cintron out at 3rd. Rusney Castillo to 2nd. Victor Caratini to 1st.

Pitching Change: Tyler Herron replaces Alex Claudio.

David Vidal flies out to left fielder Danny Ortiz.

Offensive Substitution: Pinch-hitter Vimael Machin replaces Dayron Varona.

Pitching Change: Christian Torres replaces Tyler Herron.

Vimael Machin called out on strikes.

So Claudio was charged with a blown save when he let those three inherited runners to score, and then he was helped out by his bullpen mates on the back end. The box score line shows two scoreless innings. That middle inning was pure Claudio, though.

22-year-old RHP Carlos Luna, who dazzled in his 2nd pro season in the Dominican Summer League, missed the next two full seasons (Tommy John), and then fared well (0.95 WHIP) in Maryvale last summer, is reportedly pitching well in relief in his native Panama (certainly one of the less-documented pro winter leagues).

Panama Winter League stats located

For the team linked, you'll find Luna in addition to one of our favorites, 18-year-old (19 in February) OF Bryan Dimas. In two summers in the Dominican, Dimas has struck out 182 times in 305 at-bats. Perseverance, young man.

RHP Tristan Archer has been a reliable organization workhorse in his six pro seasons with the Crew. Entering his last season of club control, Archer is pitching very well in the Dominican Winter League round-robin playoffs, as his agency noted in very brief video form here. Here's the box score showing two scoreless innings as his team won on a walkoff.

Meanwhile, busy night for Brewer big leaguers in Venezuela:

Box Score: Jesus Aguilar 2-for-4, two singles. If this were the 2019 regular season, would there be a bit of panic at just four doubles and no home runs through 20 games?

Box Score: Orlando Arcia continues a fantastic winter, 2-for-4 with a walk, now .333/.395/.470 (.864 OPS) through 17 games.

Box Score: Junior Guerra bounces back from a disastrous outing three days earlier with two scoreless frames:

Caracas Bottom of the 7th

Pitching Change: Junior Guerra replaces Miguel Burgos.

Wilfredo Tovar pops out to second baseman Edgar Duran.

Leobaldo Pina walks.

Anderson De La Rosa grounds into a double play, third baseman Alberto Gonzalez to second baseman Edgar Duran to first baseman Hector Sanchez. Leobaldo Pina out at 2nd.

Caracas Bottom of the 8th

Maikol Gonzalez grounds out, third baseman Alberto Gonzalez to first baseman Hector Sanchez.

Harold Castro flies out to left fielder Gregor Blanco.

Isaias Tejeda doubles (10) on a fly ball to left fielder Gregor Blanco.

With Jeffrey Baez batting, wild pitch by Junior Guerra, Isaias Tejeda to 3rd.

Jeffrey Baez strikes out swinging.

Via Google Translate of this Saturday article --

In Orlando Arcia, Caribes not only has a magnificent fielder, but a slugger who became worthy to fear. "I really felt very comfortable at home," says the Anzoaatiguense shortstop. "I'm always working on my hitting. I always arrive early and I work extra that part of my game "

From Valencia. - Orlando Arcia comes from an injured season in the Major Leagues: he hit .366, with .268 of on-base percentage and 55 of adjusted OPS. His offensive production was so low that the Milwaukee Brewers sent him twice to the minors, but that did not stop him from being the main shortstop of the organization, as was demonstrated in the postseason, when he played ten games, gave three homers and hit for .333. For the Venezuelan professional baseball, and especially for Caribes de Anzoátegui, his presence is an ostentation.

And since he came to the Tribe, Orlando Arcia has noted his superiority with respect to the league. Averaged .333, with .379 on-base percentage. In 51 innings he has hit six tubeyes and a home run. And despite his four errors on the field, he has squandered the category of shortstop. "These days he went to shoot a shot from the gardens and grabbed him with his bare hand. It's a show, "said an executive of the ninth aborigine. At a time when less than a quarter of the Venezuelan bigleaguers come to play in their country, Arcia's presence is amazing.

"I always want to play here in my country and in front of my fans," says Orlando Arcia at Beisbolplay. "That's why I spoke early with the management of Milwaukee to get permission. They gave it to me without putting limitations on me, as far as the equipment goes. The only thing they asked me was to play quietly, not to drive me crazy. But they did not give me a deadline to leave the team. "

In Orlando Arcia, Caribes not only has a magnificent fielder, but a slugger who became worthy to fear. "I really felt very comfortable at home," says the Anzoaatiguense shortstop. "I'm always working on my hitting. I always arrive early and I work extra that part of my game. "

"It is very important to have Arcia," says the manager of Caribes, Omar López. "He not only offers guarantees in a premium position such as shortstop, but also leadership in the clubhouse." Orlando Arcia is one of the main attractions of the tournament and I hope to remain so in January, with Anzoátegui qualifying for the postseason.

RHP Christian Meister, the former Indians' farmhand who joined the Brewers in late June and saw action in Maryvale and Wisconsin, has been pitching in relief for Melbourne in the ABL (seven appearances).

His latest effort was clutch, locking down a one-run win with two eventful but scoreless innings of work -- Meister even had to bad, as the opponents lost their DH.

Adelaide Top of the 8th

Pitching Change: Christian Meister replaces Harrison Cooney, batting 6th.

Mikey Reynolds flies out to center fielder Rudy Martin.

Nicholas Shumpert walks.

Mitchell Edwards singles on a line drive to center fielder Rudy Martin. Nicholas Shumpert to 3rd.

Aaron Whitefield called out on strikes.

Kuan-Jen Chen walks. Mitchell Edwards to 2nd.

Curtis Mead strikes out swinging.

Adelaide Top of the 9th

Stefan Welch grounds out, second baseman D. J. Burt to first baseman Luke Hughes.

Offensive Substitution: Pinch-hitter Austin Gallagher replaces Landon Hernandez.

Austin Gallagher strikes out swinging.

Jordan McArdle singles on a line drive to center fielder Rudy Martin.

Mikey Reynolds singles on a ground ball to right fielder Garrison Schwartz. Jordan McArdle to 3rd.

With Nicholas Shumpert batting, Mikey Reynolds steals (8) 2nd base.

Nicholas Shumpert flies out to center fielder Rudy Martin.

That being said, Meister has walked an unsightly 16 in 11 innings (one HBP). The fireballer will need to clean that up in spring camp, heading into his age 25 season.

OF Zach Clark, likely a 2019 Mudcat, finished his Aussie season with a bang - his team-leading 6th HR, double, and bases-loaded walk. His expansion New Zealand team (14-26) concluded a 40-day road trip, clinching their first series win in their finale.

Clark finished with a .702 OPS, a vampire-like split (.882 OPS in 20 night games, .507 OPS in 20 day games). 46 K/9 BB in 135 AB. Six OF assists, just one error. 7 SB/5 CS. Stories to last a lifetime, and this final game highlight. Safe travels home!

The Brewers released RHP Joshua Torres, then 21, after a stumble to begin 2015 with the TimberRattlers, although he finished that year strong at Helena. Torres was an undrafted free agent signee of the Crew in June 2012.

And yes, we did question the release at that time ;)...

Torres resorted to playing amateur ball in his native Puerto Rico in '16, and it wasn't even the top level of amateur ball on the island, as you'll learn if you choose to run this article through Google Translate.

The Mets signed Torres in December of 2016, and he has shined since (check out his AA campaign at his player page linked above). He will be a non-roster invitee in Mets' big league camp this spring, coming off a fantastic few months as a closer in the Puerto Rico Winter League.

In the early days of Brewerfan, we followed LHP Craig Breslow after his release by the Crew. He took the indy ball route to find his way back and just capped a very successful and lengthy big league career.

It's rare, but there's hope for the various Brewer releases we see. But always credit the player.

Archived