Brewer Fanatic

LHP Angel Perdomo - minor league deal; non-roster invite

JDBrewCrew

Interesting that Perdomo got an invite to camp - he's never pitched above A-ball.

From a Longenhagen prospect notes column back in June:

Twenty-four-year-olds repeating A-ball typically don’t find their way into our consciousness, but lefties that touch 96 must. Perdomo’s command has taken a significant step forward this year as he has nearly halved his walk rate (12.6% down to 7.6%) and is showing especially improved command of his fastball and fringey slider to his glove side. He creates a tough angle in on the hands of righties and sits 90-95 throughout his starts. He’s made enough progress that you can project him as an eventual lefty reliever.

Wow this could be a steal! 2017 dipped a bit & curious why they removed him as a starter when he was going pretty strong. Struggles didn’t really come until the pen & later on. Really like his numbers. Even with the walks, WHIP has always been pretty respectable. He’s not hit much & Ks a lot of guys. Almost surprised they took it so slow with production in beginning years

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I hope maybe they still try him as a starter we can use a lefty

They also need lefties out of the pen at the upper levels. Other than Brad Kuntz who was at Biloxi along with Kirby and Daniel Brown who it's assumed will make the jump up to AA, they're very thin. Not sure of Nick Ramirez status at this point.

Milwaukee Brewers

Verified account

@Brewers

25m25 minutes ago

LHP Angel Perdomo has been signed to a minor-league contract with an invitation to Major League camp.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=622780#/career/R/pitching/2018/ALL

Really like this pick up.

Seems like a "Rule 5" type upside guy, without the roster restraints. I like it, too. Can never have enough hard-throwing guys capable of going multiple innings. That fact that he's a lefty is even better.

Because he signed a minor league contract now, he would be eligible to be taken by another team in the Rule 5, correct?

Because he signed a minor league contract now, he would be eligible to be taken by another team in the Rule 5, correct?

It would probably have to be an organization a bit behind in its scouting, though. I assume he probably would have signed with a team if he had been offered a major league contract and any team that likes him enough to take him in the Rule 5 certainly would prefer to have him for just a 40-man spot, not a 40-man spot with restrictions.

It would probably have to be an organization a bit behind in its scouting, though. I assume he probably would have signed with a team if he had been offered a major league contract and any team that likes him enough to take him in the Rule 5 certainly would prefer to have him for just a 40-man spot, not a 40-man spot with restrictions.

I don't recall the players involved offhand, but it has happened a handful of times over the years that someone has inked a minor league deal and then been selected in the Rule 5. There is pretty intense bidding on the high-end minor league free agents (which is one of the reasons Dylan Moore got a big league deal). Teams have lost out while offering lucrative minor league deals on guys they really like, and the Rule 5 is a way to get those players you lost out on into your organization. Suboptimal obviously because of all of the Rule 5 restrictions, but it has happened.

I don't recall the players involved offhand, but it has happened a handful of times over the years that someone has inked a minor league deal and then been selected in the Rule 5. There is pretty intense bidding on the high-end minor league free agents (which is one of the reasons Dylan Moore got a big league deal). Teams have lost out while offering lucrative minor league deals on guys they really like, and the Rule 5 is a way to get those players you lost out on into your organization. Suboptimal obviously because of all of the Rule 5 restrictions, but it has happened.

Yah, I could be wrong, but it seems as if it happens about once every three years or so. Unless a guy blows up in a winter league, it has always struck me as bizarre because unless a player grabs the first offer he gets, presumably a team that likes him that much would offer him a big league deal like Moore got. And presumably the player would prefer the big league deal.

I don't think it has happened that often but I do remember after R.A Dickey played for the Brewers minor leagues in 2007 he became a minor league free agent and signed with the Twins. The Seattle Mariners then selected him in the rule 5 draft.

I don't think it has happened that often but I do remember after R.A Dickey played for the Brewers minor leagues in 2007 he became a minor league free agent and signed with the Twins. The Seattle Mariners then selected him in the rule 5 draft.

Dickey's transaction in 2007 and 2008 are a little funny.

November 29, 2007: Signed as a Free Agent with the Minnesota Twins.

December 6, 2007: Drafted by the Seattle Mariners from the Minnesota Twins in the 2007 rule 5 draft.

March 29, 2008: Returned (earlier draft pick) by the Seattle Mariners to the Minnesota Twins.

March 29, 2008: Traded by the Minnesota Twins to the Seattle Mariners for Jair Fernandez (minors).

December 9, 2008: Granted Free Agency.

December 26, 2008: Signed as a Free Agent with the Minnesota Twins.

Just kept getting bounced between the Twins and Mariners.

I like the Perdomo move. I’m sure this was a highly targeted move.

We have been good at these low risk moves.

I remember being excited when we signed Michael Olmstead out of the Bosox system. I don’t think he ever saw Milwaukee. They don’t always work, but when they do, you never know, you can get a valuable piece.

• 4 weeks later...

victor santos pitched for the brewers 2004 - 2005. in 2005, he became a free agent and signed a minor league deal with the royals. the pirates then took him the rule 5 draft, and he made their 25-man roster.

• 2 months later...

Archived