Brewer Fanatic

Woodruff vs Peralta

CheezWizHed
If that is the case it would seem the difference between the two pitches was subtle enough to not trigger distinct classifications.

I wonder if the release extension has anything to do with the data that seems to not jive with reality on its face. Tyler Glasnow is the other guy I think of right away when it comes to extreme extension, though he's like 5 feet taller than Peralta. Anyway, unless he ditched his 2-seamer this year, Brooks has him throwing exclusively 4-seamers this year, which I don't think is right.

The other thing I can think of is that many pitcher's 4-seamer has at least some armside run. If Peralta isn't generating much of that, the delta between the cutter movement and the 4-seam movement may not be as great as it usually is. So it could be confusing to their system if the cutter is really cutting and the 4-seam isn't doing much of anything.

Glasnow is indeed the one often cited when people discuss the extreme extension Peralta has in his delivery. And I have a feeling you're right about the confusing movement data from Brooks. All anyone needs is a pair of eyes to see the tremendous amount of movement on his pitches.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So many good points being made on both sides, lost in all the snarkiness unfortunately. For those who want Woodruff, I still haven't seen anyone respond to the huge spikes in OPS the 2nd and 3rd time through the line-up. 3rd time through is one thing, but isn't the 2nd time through a pretty big red flag for someone you want in the rotation?

Just asking, neither one is my son or anything so I don't need to be proven right or wrong. This may be a case where it is actually settled in Spring Training. And more than anything else, I think that comes down to ho has refined their off speed pitches. That said, does it really matter that much who is in the rotation opening day? If both are effective, they will both start plenty of games in 2019.

I think his difficulties that start the 2nd time through are gone once he has confidence and refinement of the changeup. And I think he's not that far off. That's why I've said multiple times, I really don't want him going anywhere. With the caveat that if a big enough controllable bat is available for one of Peralta, Burnes, or Woodruff, I'm dealing Woodruff for the simple fact he's the oldest with the most ground to cover statistically. I don't think any of them are going anywhere though. Hiura is about to fill one of their 2 biggest holes and teams can win it all with an all-mitt, no bat catcher. We know this because the Red Sox just did it.

The spin rate on Peralta's two fastballs varies by over 1000 rpm and the velocity range is from 88-97 mph. Call it whatever you want, they are two different pitches and he throws both of them often. Freddy himself said its a near 50/50 split from what I recall. And if the guy who wrote the novel above wants to say I'm making this up, go right ahead and believe that. I've cited more than enough sources and data past and present.

Archived